1. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 20:52
    It appears this (very good) and free database program, abandoned some time ago, has been updated.

I'm not going to download it myself - I already have Chess Assistant - but others may find it useful:

http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/
  2. Standard memberskryking
    Seeking the Present
    Plainfield, IL
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 20:59
    http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

there is another spin off of it.
  3. dc
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 00:41
    The prolinux site in the original post refutes the chessdb version of scid. Interesting reading...
  4. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 01:09
    Originally posted by baconfats
    The prolinux site in the original post refutes the chessdb version of scid. Interesting reading...
    Your right... very interesting... I use chessDB and it works great. I am curious to see what this new SCID developer comes up with.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 01:16
    Originally posted by baconfats
    Very interesting reading. Does anybody in the forum have additional evidence in support or refuting the claims on that site regarding the supposed non-improvement of ChessDb over the original SCID?
  6. Joined
    16 Apr '07
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 03:52
    You can read all the sorry details of the debate in the scid-users mailing list, but the bottom line is that two people wanted to continue the code, they couldn't work together, they both think they are doing what is "right" and thus two forked projects (though one denies it is a fork at all).

As far as I can tell, having been trying both, ChessDB has focused on online play and automation of pgn imports (including from The Week in Chess) while the scid (the other one) has focused on making many more improvements to the db capabilities, tactical training, etc...
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 18:45
    zazen: Thanks for the info. Experience has taught me that it's generally easier to figure out the truth based upon the observations of a neutral third party rather than trying to figure it out from the stories of the two parties involved.
  8. dc
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 18:57
    Originally posted by AlboMalapropFoozer
    [b]zazen: Thanks for the info. Experience has taught me that it's generally easier to figure out the truth based upon the observations of a neutral third party rather than trying to figure it out from the stories of the two parties involved.[/b]
    Yeah, but it's immeasurably more fun to read the vitriol of the two parties involved....
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 21:47
    Very interesting reading. Does anybody in the forum have additional evidence in support or refuting the claims on that site regarding the supposed non-improvement of ChessDb over the original SCID?
    The main problem I have with ChessDB is that it won't build on my machine, which renders the whole thing rather useless.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 21:591 edit
    Yeah, I just looked at the ChessDB source and the accusation that Dave Kirby plastered his name all over it is either outdated, or just plain not true. I looked at every file and without exception they contained something like this:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    //
    // FILE: chessdblet.cpp
    // ChessDBlet, a WinBoard chess engine
    //
    // Part of: ChessDB (Shane's Chess Information Database)
    // Version: 3.4
    //
    // Notice: Copyright (c) 2002 Shane Hudson. All rights reserved.
    //
    // Author: Shane Hudson (sgh@users.sourceforge.net)
    //
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  11. Standard memberskryking
    Seeking the Present
    Plainfield, IL
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 20:001 edit
    now if some enterprising person would just take both and mash them back together to get an all encompassing 3rd fork..
  12. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 02:45
    Originally posted by skryking
    now if some enterprising person would just take both and mash them back together to get an all encompassing 3rd fork..
    that's what I want! until then I'll down load on chessDB and go through the games on scid.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 14:51
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The main problem I have with ChessDB is that it won't build on my machine, which renders the whole thing rather useless.
    I'm confused over your use of the word "build". Do you mean that 1) on your machine, the program does not have full functionality e.g. it will not build a database? or 2) on your machine, the program cannot be installed e.g. your OS is Linux and the program needs to be recompiled and won't? or 3) something else? Just curious as to what and why the problem is.
  14. Warszawa
    Moves
    17 May '07 19:131 edit
    There is one very important feature which scid (prolinux version) has and chessdb lacks - UCI engine support. In old scid and chessdb one must use polyglot. This is not only matter of convenience, UCI support means setting UCI engiine params, multi-0variation analysis etc.
  15. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 18:05
    Originally posted by Mekk
    There is one very important feature which scid (prolinux version) has and chessdb lacks - UCI engine support. In old scid and chessdb one must use polyglot. This is not only matter of convenience, UCI support means setting UCI engiine params, multi-0variation analysis etc.
    Actually, the newer version of SCID on the prolinux site does support UCI engines. See the following part of the new feature list: http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/scid_newfeatures.html#seriousgame

Before upgrading to the new SCID, I could only use Fruit (a UCI engine) with polyglot. But now with the new SCID, I use Fruit directly and it works great.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree