Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

1. 24 Oct '17 02:16
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/18/16495548/deepmind-ai-go-alphago-zero-self-taught

"DeepMind’s Go-playing AI doesn’t need human help to beat us anymore.
    The company’s latest AlphaGo AI learned superhuman skills by playing itself over and over."

"it’s a significant win for the field of reinforcement learning — a branch of
    AI in which programs learn by obtaining rewards for reaching certain goals,
    but are offered no guidance on how to get there. This is a less mature field
    of work than supervised learning (where programs are fed labeled data
    and learn from that), but it has potentially greater rewards. After all, the
    more a machine can teach itself without human guidance, the better."

"In the case of Zero, that data is comprised of possible moves in a game of Go.
    But because Zero was not programmed to understand Go specifically, it
    could be reprogrammed to discover information in other fields: drug discovery,
    protein folding, quantum chemistry, particle physics, and material design."

"Despite its complexity, Go, like all board games, is relatively easy for
    computers to understand. The rules are finite, there’s no element of luck,
    no hidden information, and — most importantly — researchers have access
    to a perfect simulation of the game. This means an AI can run millions of
    tests and be sure it’s not missing anything. Finding other fields that meet
    these criteria limits the applicability of Zero’s intelligence."
  2. Standard member mchill
    Green Lantern
    23 Nov '17 12:17
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/18/16495548/deepmind-ai-go-alphago-zero-self-taught

"DeepMind’s Go-playing AI doesn’t need human help to beat us anymore.
    The company’s latest AlphaGo AI learned superhuman skills by playing itself over and over."

"it’s a significant win for the field of reinforcement learning — a branch of
    AI in which programs lea ...[text shortened]... inding other fields that meet
    these criteria limits the applicability of Zero’s intelligence."
    This could make Deep Mind an excellent training partner for humans wishing to improve, just like chess programs do.
  3. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    24 Nov '17 03:23
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "Despite its complexity, Go, like all board games, is relatively easy for
    computers to understand.
    When a computer can reliably beat me at Beetle, let me know.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Nov '17 17:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    When a computer can reliably beat me at Beetle, let me know.
    Nah, they would turn you into beetlejuice.....

BTW, how are your hands? Have the operation yet?

My wife is in the same boat. A trip at a major hotel in Cleveland permanently injured both hands, 6 operations later and she still cannot play her instrument, the lap dulcimer, we used to play a lot of folk music gigs but that is out now, she is in too much pain and very little strength in her hands. Litigation is on, it turned out the thing she tripped on was a violation of city codes so we have a leg up on a highly republican state which hates to let people win litigation, very difficult.
  5. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    27 Nov '17 08:22
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Nah, they would turn you into beetlejuice.....

BTW, how are your hands? Have the operation yet?

My wife is in the same boat. A trip at a major hotel in Cleveland permanently injured both hands, 6 operations later and she still cannot play her instrument, the lap dulcimer, we used to play a lot of folk music gigs but that is out now, she is in too muc ...[text shortened]... a leg up on a highly republican state which hates to let people win litigation, very difficult.
    After quite a lot of physio I have most movement back but not dexterity or strength.
    Good job I am not a musician!

I wish your wife well.
  6. Subscriber apathist
    looking for loot
    28 Nov '17 21:25
    Go is just a giant game of tic-tac-toe. Dripping water can win.
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Nov '17 15:15
    After quite a lot of physio I have most movement back but not dexterity or strength.
    Good job I am not a musician!

I wish your wife well.
    What happened that you got into that predicament? The fall did it for Susan. What happened to you? Good luck, hope you can get back mobility and strength soon in your hands.
  8. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    01 Dec '17 09:21
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What happened that you got into that predicament? The fall did it for Susan. What happened to you? Good luck, hope you can get back mobility and strength soon in your hands.
    Age mainly.
    The hand was "trigger-finger" , quite common. Simple op. Soon be OK I think.
    Shoulder is a bugger.
    Both AC joints are deteriorating but what screwed up my right shoulder was
    a boisterous teenager we were fostering. He spun me around on beach then
    "whipped" me back. Hurt but didn't think too much about it. But it never got
    better just worse, so I had op 4 years ago which was quite successful but now
    I've got post-op "boney growth", calcification, swelling and "debris". That is all being
    sorted out in another op in March.

It sucks getting old!
  9. 01 Dec '17 11:10 / 7 edits
    "trigger-finger" ,...
    Shoulder is a bugger.
    [staying_off_topic]
    Just by coincidence, I personally also have both trigger-finger and a bad shoulder. In my case, I cannot rise my right arm so to make it exactly vertical but have to settle with no further than diagonally-up and with difficulty. At least I will never put both hands up fully to surrender

I also recently had a ripped (or at least I think it may have been ripped) chest muscle (I tripped) which made breathing agonizing painful but now only just fully recovered from that only just a few days ago. BUT, and this is why I mention it, I didn't call the hospital or even go to the doctors because, strangely, I find going to the doctors recently seems to be worse than useless because they all seem to be just prescribing powerful nicotinic drugs that, if I take, I regret taking because I then get hooked and then have a really hard time getting off them.
    -ANYONE;
    Is that just my personal experience or are any of you finding the same problem these days?
    [/staying_off_topic]