Al Sharpton rips the campus rioters

Al Sharpton rips the campus rioters

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
14d

@shavixmir said
It’s not the fukking seat of government, you incellic gimp!
You really do have Tourette's, don't you?

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
14d

@sh76 said
You really do have Tourette's, don't you?
No sir. It’s just having to explain the blindingly obvious, again and again and again to you irritates me.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
14d

@shavixmir said
No sir. It’s just having to explain the blindingly obvious, again and again and again to you irritates me.
shag doody tried to post some vids from rolling stone once to help 'build his case', it actually showed the capitol police escalating and provoking while Jan 6ers tried to de-escalate and calm the situation.

Back-fired big time.

I invite you to do it again shad pseudy.

w

Moves
14d

@sh76 said
"How do the Democrats, how do all of us on that side say January 6th was wrong if you can have the same pictures going on on college campuses?"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2024/05/02/al_sharpton_how_can_democrats_say_january_6th_was_wrong_if_the_same_thing_is_happening_on_college_campuses.html
They're kids, students. How many kids stormed the Capitol trying to steal an election?

Americans needs to grow up.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
14d

@wajoma said
shag doody tried to post some vids from rolling stone once to help 'build his case', it actually showed the capitol police escalating and provoking while Jan 6ers tried to de-escalate and calm the situation.

Back-fired big time.

Hey… did someone rattle the gimp cage.

Are you in leather there, Gimp boy? Or is the ball in your mouth and the straight jacket rather restrictive?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
14d

@sh76 said
So, you're saying the difference is intent?

What if it were proven that the intent of a protester is to destroy Israel and harass Jews?

Would that make it illegal in your mind?
Sure. Intent but also circumstances.

Suppose you shoot someone. Is that right or wrong? Without intent and circumstances, there is no way to know whether you should be put you in jail or get an award. It's the same with a protest.

The intent of these protests is to pressure Israel to reform its society and treat Palestinians more fairly. Some may think Israel can't be reformed and instead must be destroyed. I can't speak for them, but I believe that's unrealistic and should not be a goal unless reform proves impossible.

But I absolutely support destroying the state (but not the people) of Israel if it won't reform. Unlike a person, a state has no inherent right to exist. It exists until people think it shouldn't exist anymore.

As for harassing Jews, in the US, no one can harm, infringe on, or place at risk without consent any Jew or any other person. That includes threats which fall under 'placing at risk,' so issuing threats is barred.

But speech, even critical and insulting speech, in a public place is none of those things. I don't personally believe in hate speech laws, so if speech is interpreted by some as harassment - too bad.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
14d
1 edit

@mchill said
I'm a Democrat and I don't support this activity. Its counterproductive and ineffective, so let us not wander into the murky depths of stereotyping Democrats. All 80+ million of us don't think exactly alike. 😉
And I'm a right-leaning Libertarian that usually takes the side of austere Republicans.
Not this time! Taking sides in the century-long middle-east imbroglio is really a matter of right/wrong, not right/left.

my opinion

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
14d

@spruce112358 said - "Some may think Israel can't be reformed and instead must be destroyed."

I think putting the UN in charge of running Israel is a possibility. If not, then destroying Israel works.

w

Moves
14d

@spruce112358 said
Sure. Intent but also circumstances.

Suppose you shoot someone. Is that right or wrong? Without intent and circumstances, there is no way to know whether you should be put you in jail or get an award. It's the same with a protest.

The intent of these protests is to pressure Israel to reform its society and treat Palestinians more fairly. Some may think Israel can't ...[text shortened]... personally believe in hate speech laws, so if speech is interpreted by some as harassment - too bad.
This is an excellent post.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13d

The fact of the matter, which sh76 won't admit, is that the protests of the Gaza war on US campuses have been almost entirely nonviolent though some have been marked by civil disobedience (say of the sort a man we now have a national holiday in honor of routinely engaged in). There is simply no comparison between these protests and the mass violence of January 6, 2021 and it doesn't matter who suggests differently.

They are wrong.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
13d

@earl-of-trumps said
@spruce112358 said - "Some may think Israel can't be reformed and instead must be destroyed."

I think putting the UN in charge of running Israel is a possibility. If not, then destroying Israel works.
I’m certainly not in favour of destroying a country.

The basic problem is that you have two sets of people who are heavily traumatized. Guilt, fear, anger…

I’ve said it before, the only real solution is to treat the situation as an abusive relationship. One is being abused, because the other is lashing out after being abused itself; not only on the individual level, but on a national level as well.

When couples go into relationship therapy, they learn their triggers and are taught to realise how their behaviour triggers the other as well. Then the cycle can be broken and they can start to heal and move forward.

Now, I’m not stating that I have the foggiest idea how something like that would work on a national level, but it would be the way forward out of the spiral.

I guess international mediation, the UN, or getting Arab countries involved, so that the wider picture becomes involved in “healing” are the most realistic options.

A follow up step I would suggest is moving the UN offices from New York to Jerusalem, make it the official capital of the planet.
And the capital of Israel and Palestine as well.

There is no reason why 1 city can’t be capital to two countries. A major boost to the local economies as well.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13d

@wajoma said

Back-fired big time.

If that is what you think it showed, you're slower than Trump.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13d

@wildgrass said
They're kids, students. How many kids stormed the Capitol trying to steal an election?

Americans needs to grow up.
SOME Americans need to grow up.

Moves
13d

@earl-of-trumps said

“I think putting the UN in charge of running Israel is a possibility.”

probably the stupidest thing i have ever heard…you got a diaper on your head?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
13d

@shavixmir said
When couples go into relationship therapy, they learn their triggers and are taught to realise how their behaviour triggers the other as well. Then the cycle can be broken and they can start to heal and move forward.
Sounds like a plan for the Debates Forum of RHP! 🙂