Cancel Culture, Feeling the Love

Cancel Culture, Feeling the Love

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
68d

@cliff-mashburn said
OMG a sailor kissing a girl after coming home from the war, how awful.
The woke mob is disgusting.
a girl who didn't want to be kissed
a girl who would have wanted the opportunity to make the choice

who cares about a woman's opinion though amirite?

w

Moves
68d

@zahlanzi said
a girl who didn't want to be kissed
a girl who would have wanted the opportunity to make the choice

who cares about a woman's opinion though amirite?
Where's the world in which we can care about her opinion and also recognize it as a good photograph?

I want to live in that timeline.

I heard somewhere that this dude's wife is in this photo but it's not the girl he's kissing! Is that true?

Z

Moves
68d

@wildgrass said
Where's the world in which we can care about her opinion and also recognize it as a good photograph?

I heard somewhere that this dude's wife is in this photo but it's not the girl he's kissing! Is that true?
"Where's the world in which we can care about her opinion and also recognize it as a good photograph?"
Good how, like the light? Sure. It's an expertly made photo (or not, what do i know, i am not a photographer). I don't think anyone objecting it is mad at the photographer.

It's a bad gesture that became famous. If we understand that and agree on that, don't think there is much point in discussing it further.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
68d

@earl-of-trumps said
@AThousandYoung - That kiss was not consensual.
------------

PuLEAZE, ATY. For God's sake, let the people enjoy something. You kill the ENTIRE spirit over a tiny flaw.

gad
A non consensual mauling “a tiny flaw” Jesus h Christ your such a trumpet, she was probably begging for it being on the street without a male relative

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
68d

@earl-of-trumps said
@Suzianne
It cost Bud Lite $1.2Billion. Serves them right
"Serves them right"?

Really?

I suppose you think gays who are caught out on the street after dark should be beaten to death, right?

The people who say yes to that would also say, "Serves them right", too.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
68d

@wildgrass said

First I ever heard of that, senior @wildgrass. I tend to doubt it though, because he is active duty, on leave.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
68d

@suzianne said
"Serves them right"?

Really?

I suppose you think gays who are caught out on the street after dark should be beaten to death, right?

The people who say yes to that would also say, "Serves them right", too.
Suzi: I suppose you think gays who are caught out on the street after dark should be beaten to death, right?

you know... you really are a fukking idiot

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
67d

@*U*P*D*A*T*E

VA official who tried to ban iconic WWII kissing photo has controversial history: 'Unequivocally offensive'

VA official who tried to ban iconic WWII kissing photo has controversial history: 'Unequivocally offensive'
-------------------------------------------------------

what a skank

https://news.yahoo.com/va-official-tried-ban-iconic-145237051.html

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
67d

@earl-of-trumps said
@*U*P*D*A*T*E

-------------------------------------------------------

what a skank

https://news.yahoo.com/va-official-tried-ban-iconic-145237051.html
But the skank who forced himself on a woman is a hero obviously, honestly you people have NO shame.
This attitude is exactly what you get from someone who supports a convicted sexual predator and brags about grabbing women by their private parts

D

Moves
67d

@kevcvs57 said
But the skank who forced himself on a woman is a hero obviously, honestly you people have NO shame.
This attitude is exactly what you get from someone who supports a convicted sexual predator and brags about grabbing women by their private parts
Here's a quote from that link you didn't look at.

But Friedman has also shared more positive reactions to the famous image.

“It was a wonderful coincidence, a man in a sailor’s uniform and a woman in a white dress … and a great photographer at the right time,” she said in a 2005 interview with the Library of Congress Veterans History Project.

You people should keep your moral outrage to yourself.

rain

Moves
67d

@wildgrass said

You're right. It's an iconic photo that became famous when societal values were less progressive than they are now. We can acknowledge both its historical significance and the moral failing of the sailor in the pic.

Same with slave-owning presidents.

rain

Moves
67d

@earl-of-trumps said
WWII ‘Kiss’ Photo Stays on Display — VA Head Reverses Memo that Would’ve Banned It

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/06/wwii-kiss-photo-stays-on-display-va-head-reverses-memo-that-wouldve-banned-it/
--------------------------------

Most of you may not know the story of America's most celebrated and iconic post WWII photo -
featuring a nurse a ...[text shortened]... nd cause anger, pain.

We know what the Cancels take off the table, but what do they ADD to it???
It's a bad idea to ban the photo.

I'm all for properly contextualizing such content, like if the public wants to remove statues of confederate generals and put them in a museum where it's clear they were fighting on the side of slaver owners. But banning them from being displayed at all is a bad idea.

Understanding where we've come from as a society is important for moving forward.

w

Moves
67d

@earl-of-trumps said
First I ever heard of that, senior @wildgrass. I tend to doubt it though, because he is active duty, on leave.
No I think this is times square after V-J day. They've done interviews with the soldier, the wife, and the other woman and none of them saw it as a moral failing or embarrassing moment.

It's fine.. apparently no one cares except the pearl clutching conservatives looking for every opportunity to complain about libs. I'll bet this nothing of a story got a million clicks on Breitbart. What a world.

rain

Moves
67d

@wildgrass said
They've done interviews with the soldier, the wife, and the other woman and none of them saw it as a moral failing or embarrassing moment.
That's also a point to consider. Despite contemporary values we have to consider whether his actions were considered immoral at the time. Maybe it was considered a "boys will be boys" kind of act and perhaps she wasn't particularly bothered by the act.

Then again, it's also possible the woman didn't want to sully the man's reputation or the legacy of the event by stating her true feelings on the matter. We'll never truly know.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
67d

The names of the people involved:

Greta Zimmer Friedman was the woman
George Mendonsa was the man