1. Joined
    09 Jan '22
    Moves
    08 Mar '24 19:33
    @wildgrass said

I heard somewhere that this dude's wife is in this photo but it's not the girl he's kissing! Is that true?
    Yes:
    https://nypost.com/2024/03/05/us-news/fascinating-tale-behind-famed-wwii-kiss-photo-from-times-square/
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 02:051 edit
    @vivify said
    You're right. It's an iconic photo that became famous when societal values were less progressive than they are now. We can acknowledge both its historical significance and the moral failing of the sailor in the pic.

Same with slave-owning presidents.
    Vivify, Come on.

You don't think that people knew that the woman was non-compliant, do you?
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 02:11
    @vivify said
    It's a bad idea to ban the photo.

I'm all for properly contextualizing such content, like if the public wants to remove statues of confederate generals and put them in a museum where it's clear they were fighting on the side of slaver owners. But banning them from being displayed at all is a bad idea.

Understanding where we've come from as a society is important for moving forward.
    Good thoughts.
  4. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 02:29
    @wildgrass said - "No I think this is times square after V-J day."
    --------------------------
    EoT: Of course it is, and I never said any differently. Check your glasses, dude.

@wildgrass said - "They've done interviews with the soldier, the wife, and the other woman and none of them saw it as a moral failing or embarrassing moment.
    EoT: Yes. So WHY try to smash this picture??? it's beautiful

@wildgrass said - "It's fine.. apparently no one cares except the pearl clutching conservatives looking for every opportunity to complain about libs. I'll bet this nothing of a story got a million clicks on Breitbart. What a world.

EoT: You have it bass-ackwards, Wild
    Conservatives (normal people) are content with the status quo. It's the woke liberals that are
    trying to raise a stink over nothing. the conservatives merely reacted.
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 02:33
    @vivify said
    That's also a point to consider. Despite contemporary values we have to consider whether his actions were considered immoral at the time. Maybe it was considered a "boys will be boys" kind of act and perhaps she wasn't particularly bothered by the act.

Then again, it's also possible the woman didn't want to sully the man's reputation or the legacy of the event by stating her true feelings on the matter. We'll never truly know.
    It's the latter, vivify. We found out that not all was kosher because the woman *did* state her true feelings.
  6. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 02:43
    @cliff-mashburn said
    Yes:
    https://nypost.com/2024/03/05/us-news/fascinating-tale-behind-famed-wwii-kiss-photo-from-times-square/
    This is an important passage here:

{George Mendonsa, 23, had just come back from the Philippines on leave as a Navy quartermaster and was on a date with Rita Petry, 20, when the pair joined the throngs of thousands flocking to the Crossroads of the World in Manhattan on Aug. 14, 1945, to celebrate V-J, or Victory over Japan, Day."

But as the future husband and wife crossed Seventh Avenue at West 44th Street, Mendonsa spotted Greta Zimmer, 21, in a nurse’s uniform — and remembered nurses pulling hundreds of Americans out of the water after two Japanese kamikazes attacked USS Bunker Hill, killing hundreds.

We cannot properly judge people of that era, under those circumstances.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 06:53
    It looked like a great kiss to be fair.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 11:311 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    This is an important passage here:

{George Mendonsa, 23, had just come back from the Philippines on leave as a Navy quartermaster and was on a date with Rita Petry, 20, when the pair joined the throngs of thousands flocking to the Crossroads of the World in Manhattan on Aug. 14, 1945, to celebrate V-J, or Victory over Japan, Day."

But as the future husband and wi ...[text shortened]... ll, killing hundreds.[/b]

We cannot properly judge people of that era, under those circumstances.
    Hahaha yeah it was fine to molest some random woman in front if your date back in the Olden days
    If he had any respect for the role of battlefield nurses he would have shown her a lot more of it. Did he know if she was someone else’s wife before he mauled her
    A picture of sexual harassment should not be iconic of anything but gross misogyny
    There are ultra right wingers cancelling factual history books from library shelves and school curriculums but this is what upsets you 🙄
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 11:33
    @divegeester said
    It looked like a great kiss to be fair.
    Rape might look like a great shag in a snapshot moment but it’s not is it
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '24 13:11
    @kevcvs57 said
    Rape might look like a great shag in a snapshot moment but it’s not is it
    😂 you people are hopeless
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Mar '24 08:32
    @mott-the-hoople said
    😂 you people are hopeless
    And you people are hopelessly stupid
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '24 22:17
    @kevcvs57
    Nah, make that DELIBERATELY stupid.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree