Do all know that we are paying students' loans off?

Do all know that we are paying students' loans off?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
33d

@mott-the-hoople said
Woessmann, the economist, agreed that, “as a general rule, universities in Germany do have much less resources than at least the higher-level universities in the U.S. University presidents in general will always tell you they don’t have enough money, but in general I think they have a point there. If the universities were able to [impose] tuition fees, that would surely in general affect the quality.”
US universities are opulent. Luxurious. Grand. They have so much money, they put up new buildings because they don't know what else to do.

Immaculate landscaping, towering dormitories, gleaming state-of-the-art research facilities, world-class medical facilities, endless libraries and classrooms, vast athletic fields and stadiums.

US universities truly are a wonder of the modern world. When you go there, you accept it, but later I went back to show my kids and every time, my jaw dropped.

Lake Como

Moves
33d

@spruce112358
But everyone is talking about the universities, etc, which are all good points. Some write about other countries but this is not about other countries.
But the issue is that the president 'picked out' some USA category of people, the students in this case, and started paying their debts??? It could be that he might have just as well paid up all the debts of truck drivers, there is ABSOLUTELY no difference. You might say, well we need college grads to grow the country, ,,,,,but we need truck drivers to deliver the country, too.
I saw some number, I think it is that 14% of the students are recipients....That leaves about 86% who are paying, or have paid, their own way. I have a feeling they will be sick of Biden when this happens, and they will NOT vote for him, when that is his whole point for doing it.....to buy votes. Like the immigrants, who will all be voting in 2028, the magic year, the goal.
Anyway, it aint right, but the lockstep crowd is all in agreement, apparently.
Query: What if the students were left to paying off their own debts? Would that be so bad? We all did.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
33d

@averagejoe1 said
@spruce112358
But everyone is talking about the universities, etc, which are all good points. Some write about other countries but this is not about other countries.
But the issue is that the president 'picked out' some USA category of people, the students in this case, and started paying their debts??? It could be that he might have just as well paid up all the deb ...[text shortened]... What if the students were left to paying off their own debts? Would that be so bad? We all did.
Which President signed the biggest bailout in US history?

Oh no. Don't tell me. You can't... seriously? OMG. OMG. Not... him?

Read on:

1980: Chrysler Corporation bailout
By 1979, the American automotive company Chrysler was nearly bankrupt. But when the federal government bailed the company out, it wasn’t just to save an iconic American company—national security implications were also at play.

Chrysler was awarded a contract to build the M1 Abrams tank, which the U.S. military used in the Cold War. [Ed. 4,800 of these tanks, almost never used in combat. We could give them to Ukraine who would use them for what they were designed for: killing Russians! But no, that makes FAR too much sense. Don't do that...] This contract, and the hope that it would save hundreds of thousands of jobs, led the government to issue a $1.5 billion bailout. The government would bail Chrysler out again in 2008—during the Great Recession—before Fiat eventually acquired the company in 2014.

1989: Savings and loan crisis
The savings and loan crisis resulted from almost a third of the savings and loan associations in the U.S. failing over several years, thanks in part to their participation in several risky real estate ventures.

The Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989 was passed by Congress to institute several helpful reforms. In the act, federal regulators first attempted to address the issue by deregulating the industry, hoping that the market would help correct the course of the institutions. When that failed, they turned to taxpayers. The ultimate cost to taxpayers ended up being an estimated $124 billion.

2001: Airline industry bailout
The airline industry entered a crisis after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. In the immediate aftermath of the attacks, airline traffic fell by over 30%.

The federal government stepped in to assist the battered industry. In just two days, the industry received a $15 billion bailout. But while most of that money went to major airlines, approximately a third went to other sources—including package delivery companies, bankrupt airlines, and helicopter companies.

2008: The Great Recession and TARP
Former President George W. Bush signed the Troubled Asset Relief Program in 2008 to prop up failing banks and businesses by purchasing assets and other equity. The program aimed to stave off the country’s mortgage and financial crisis while stabilizing the economy.

It became commonly known as the “bank bailout” as it bailed out many banks on the verge of collapse, generating controversy. Some called the bailout a necessary maneuver to save the American economy from ruin, while others criticized that it rescued powerful institutions while leaving many everyday people behind.

2020: Coronavirus airline bailout
When the coronavirus pandemic struck in 2020, travel worldwide screeched to a grinding halt. Borders had closed, and health experts warned against air travel, as sitting with others in close quarters could spread the virus. As such, airlines saw revenues plummet.

The federal government decided to bail out the airline industry with $25 billion. Rather than using these funds to save airline jobs, some airlines chose to use the money to offer early retirement packages instead. When travel resumed, this led to a significant shortage of airline staff, creating long delays for many passengers.

2020: Coronavirus pandemic
The 2020 COVID-19 pandemic precipitated some of the most significant aid for ordinary people in American history. The government paused student loan payments, extended unemployment benefits to freelance and gig workers, and sent families making below a certain income threshold $1,200 checks. This temporary expansion of the American safety net was unprecedented in scale.

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act cost $2.2 trillion, making the CARES Act the most extensive financial rescue package in U.S. history.

Signed by? SIGNED BY?!??!!? OH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! TRUUUUUUUUUUMP?!!! WHY DID YOU GIVE THE MOST FREEEEEEEEE STUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFF?!?!?!?

2021: American Rescue Plan
President Joe Biden signed the American Rescue Plan into law in 2021. Its total cost was $1.9 trillion. This spending included a significant amount of money directed toward counties to use as they saw fit for coronavirus relief. It also included further direct payments to families, a child tax credit, and a capital projects fund to shore up the nation’s infrastructure. The American Rescue Plan brought coronavirus-related government assistance to almost $4 trillion.

w

Moves
33d

@sonhouse said
@wildgrass
It bugs AJ1 because he ABSOLUTELY hates giving money to anyone no matter the reason.
Actually, Joe defends the use of tax dollars to fund billionaire stadiums and millionaire farmers.

Lake Como

Moves
33d
2 edits

@spruce112358 said
Which President signed the biggest bailout in US history?

Oh no. Don't tell me. You can't... seriously? OMG. OMG. Not... him?

Read on:

1980: Chrysler Corporation bailout
By 1979, the American automotive company Chrysler was nearly bankrupt. But when the federal government bailed the company out, it wasn’t just to save an iconic American company—national ...[text shortened]... e. The American Rescue Plan brought coronavirus-related government assistance to almost $4 trillion.
Would be good if each cite were made a separate thread for your entertainment. Speech, of course, would have its own Fax to consider. The facts on this particular tuition item are simply that the president has no legal authority to do what we’re talking about. On the others, I think it was all properly processed through the government. But feel free to write about all those. πŸ€”

Note: the 1980 Chrysler matter as you state in the first paragraph of your thread shows that it was a government action. “ The federal government bailed them out. “. The case we are speaking about here today is about a solo action by a president. Are you an idiot to go off the wall like this and ruin my thread?

Lake Como

Moves
32d

@AverageJoe1
Wildgrass responds that govt does many ‘bailouts’, welfare pro, etc, but the thread is about Biden doing something on his own.
They cannot be compared. I guess the libs attempt to wear us down with meaningless posts.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
32d

@averagejoe1 said
the president has no legal authority to do what we’re talking about.
You need to make up your mind. The law clearly states what the Sec of Ed can do regarding forgiving loans.

Instead you complain that "Biden is exceeding his authority!"

But then on the border, where Biden is ALSO following the law, you complain that Biden isn't DOING SOMETHING, i.e. exceeding his authority?!

Your problem is with the law, not Biden.

Lake Como

Moves
32d
1 edit

@spruce112358 said
You need to make up your mind. The law clearly states what the Sec of Ed can do regarding forgiving loans.

Instead you complain that "Biden is exceeding his authority!"

But then on the border, where Biden is ALSO following the law, you complain that Biden isn't DOING SOMETHING, i.e. exceeding his authority?!

Your problem is with the law, not Biden.
Bidens inaugural oaths clearly say to defend our borders against all enemies foreign and domestic, it could not be much clearer than that. He is NOT. what a wasted of discussin time, you libs are pitiful. When we are attacked again, and we will be, you will say ole AvJoe was on to something.

As to the Sec of Ed, why are the media flooded with arguments about the issue of Biden using the Sec of Ed to get his money????? If it is so clear that he can do it, can you tell us why it is even an issue? You have a real problem with the Forum these days. You know, see the big picture?

And yes as you say, I have a problem with the law. Of course I do indeed have a 'problem wiht' Biden, but this is about his law-breaking. Why all the suits? Hello?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
32d

@averagejoe1 said
Bidens inaugural oaths clearly say to defend our borders against all enemies foreign and domestic, it could not be much clearer than that. He is NOT. what a wasted of discussin time, you libs are pitiful. When we are attacked again, and we will be, you will say ole AvJoe was on to something.

As to the Sec of Ed, why are the media flooded with arguments about the iss ...[text shortened]... indeed have a 'problem wiht' Biden, but this is about his law-breaking. Why all the suits? Hello?
'Asylum-seekers' was DEFINED not to be our enemies. Got that?

Ain't no Honduran gonna attack us. They here to roof yo house and mow yo grass. Mighty neighborly of 'em....

HE AIN'T BREAKIN' NO LAWS! Jiminy Christmas, who raised you?!?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
32d

@spruce112358
I can make a guess.......

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
32d

@spruce112358
If I may, what do you do now for a living? Sounds great whatever it isπŸ™‚

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
32d

@spruce112358 said:

"2020: Coronavirus airline bailout...
When travel resumed, this led to a significant shortage of airline staff, creating long delays for many passengers.

Or as with other mandated industries many pilots chose not to be lab rats in the medical experiment that enriched multibillion dollar mega corporations beyond anything seen in the history of the world.

Lake Como

Moves
32d

@spruce112358 said

Ain't no Honduran gonna attack us. They here to roof yo house and mow yo grass. Mighty neighborly of 'em....

I have not typed the word asylum in a post for several months. Frankly, it is irrelevant to most posts .so why do you bring up asylum? That is not in my query. Feel free to read it again.

Again, just forget it. I cannot imagine your answering a question by your 6yr old grandchild. Poor baby.

Lake Como

Moves
32d

@spruce112358 said

Oh….WHO ain’t breaking no laws?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
32d
1 edit

@AverageJoe1
Your thread was a POS in the first place, you ruined it yourself with your screed against helping those who represent the future of technology in the US. Since you never did any STEM courses you are not in any kind of position to dictate what our president can and can't do. You are into money and nothing else.

Spruce IS one of those, Phd WAY above your intellectually, culturally and actually has a thing called empathy, a word not even close to being in your vocabulary.