1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 15:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Unmarried couples are not afforded the same rights.
    That is not what we were talking about at all.

You agree that people have a choice to get married, get the benefits that come along with marriage but also the responsibilities.

And yet you were trying to make the 90 year old man into a victim.

Of his own choice.

And you want to take that choice away.

You are clearly not in favor of freedom.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 20:37
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

You agree that people have a choice to get married, get the benefits that come along with marriage but also the responsibilities.

Of his own choice.

Don't be obtuse.

I am saying that people should make their own legal arrangements verses having the state do it for them unbeknownst to them in many cases. You should not need a lawyer to understand it all, but it is arranged so that you do.

In addition, people should not have state perks based upon whom they want to have sex with while others are denied. You have no answer for this so you choose to ignore it altogether.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 21:552 edits
    Don't be obtuse.

I am saying that people should make their own legal arrangements verses having the state do it for them unbeknownst to them in many cases. You should not need a lawyer to understand it all, but it is arranged so that you do.

In addition, people should not have state perks based upon whom they want to have sex with while others are denied. You have no answer for this so you choose to ignore it altogether.
    Repeating a lie over and over and over again does not change it into a truth. There is no "perk" for " based upon whom they want to have sex with", One can safely ignore this lie except to point out it is a lie.

Sure one could go to a lawyer and have them write up a detailed contract covering the many and various circumstances where they would like their spouse to exercise control in their stead or other matters. But the State, at the request of the People, has made it a lot easier for everyone by simply encapsulating these normal preferences in one contract called "marriage". You can enter that contract if you want to, but are not required to. You may alter most terms of that contract by getting a lawyer and drawing up a contract, but you are not required to.

Where exactly is the lack of freedom part?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 21:56
    Unmarried couples are not afforded the same rights.
    Name one.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:06
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

Of his own choice.

How is raising a kid in a committed single relationship different than a committed married relationship? Does getting married make you a better couple?

What responsibilities do the married couple have over the couple that decides not to get married?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:10
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How is raising a kid in a committed single relationship different than a committed married relationship? Does getting married make you a better couple?

What responsibilities do the married couple have over the couple that decides not to get married?
    The tax exemptions and credits for children are available to both married and unmarried couples. And to single parents as well.

So what exactly is the point being made?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:14
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The tax exemptions and credits for children are available to both married and unmarried couples. And to single parents as well.

I was responding to the post that I quoted. I was wondering how married people have more responsibility than single people.

My question for you is that if married gives you no advantages, then how is preventing gays from getting married causing them harm?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:21
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I was responding to the post that I quoted. I was wondering how married people have more responsibility than single people.

My question for you is that if married gives you no advantages, then how is preventing gays from getting married causing them harm?
    It gives the advantages I already mentioned; it avoids the necessity of making long, involved individual contracts to cover situations that the marriage contract implicitly covers by law.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:33

How about just plain single people who make the decision not to breed? Why should they support those who do choose to breed?
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:34
    It gives the advantages I already mentioned; it avoids the necessity of making long, involved individual contracts to cover situations that the marriage contract implicitly covers by law.
    So one size fits all?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Sep '15 14:58
    Originally posted by normbenign
    How about just plain single people who make the decision not to breed? Why should they support those who do choose to breed?
    Since you're in "hold your breath until you turn blue" mode, I'll simply repost what I said two pages:

People having children is necessary for the continued existence of society. So this and most other societies have decided to decrease the financial penalty that having a child almost always incurs by granting a tax deduction and sometimes tax credits to partially offset that cost. Society doesn't have to, but where a democratically selected legislature makes such an obviously rational decision to do so I don't see it as some kind of invidious discrimination against people who don't have kids.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Sep '15 15:02
    Originally posted by normbenign
    So one size fits all?
    You can always write your own contract if you don't like the generally approved one. Why make it harder for the vast majority who are satisfied with the general contract to appease a few complainers like you and whodey when the abolition of the general wouldn't even make it easier for them?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    25 Sep '15 15:33
    You can always write your own contract if you don't like the generally approved one. Why make it harder for the vast majority who are satisfied with the general contract to appease a few complainers like you and whodey when the abolition of the general wouldn't even make it easier for them?
    But... but... gays are icky!
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '15 22:22
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    But... but... gays are icky!
    Gays are living a sinful lifestyle and if they continue their rebellion unto death, they will receive their just reward.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '15 22:23
    Why should the government be handing out special 'rights' to married people over single?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree