1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 01:34
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Why should the government be handing out special 'rights' to married people over single?
    Please name one "special right" that is "handed out to married people over single".
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 03:15
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    My suggestion is if they wish to get married, then move to Europe or Canada. 😏
    My suggestion to you Americans would be if you want oil, don't steal someone else's, destabilise their political regime and then piss off home and leave Europe to clear up your mess.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 09:33
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Please name one "special right" that is "handed out to married people over single".
    Tax credits.
    Lower inheritance taxes.
    AIUI, also higher child benefits, but I could be out of date on that.
    Stronger legal protection.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 12:061 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Tax credits.
    Lower inheritance taxes.
    What's funny is Marauder is pretending not to know, especially after he has laid out all the special benefits married people get in past threads.

What is even more funny is that if there are no special rights for marriage, why then do gays keep saying their rights are being violated by not being able to marry?

Hilarious! 😵
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 14:221 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    What's funny is Marauder is pretending not to know, especially after he has laid out all the special benefits married people get in past threads.

What is even more funny is that if there are no special rights for marriage, why then do gays keep saying their rights are being violated by not being able to marry?

Hilarious! 😵
    The second question was answered less than a page ago:

It gives the advantages I already mentioned; it avoids the necessity of making long, involved individual contracts to cover situations that the marriage contract implicitly covers by law.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 14:25
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Tax credits.
    Lower inheritance taxes.
    There's no "tax credit" for being married. Until recently, there was a marriage penalty at certain levels of income.

I don't believe there is any lower inheritance taxes either. It's kinda moot since there are basically no inheritance taxes in the US anymore except on the largest estates (top 1-2😵.

The child tax credit and deduction are the same for married and head of household AFAIK.

"Stronger legal protection" in what way?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 15:55
    The same ones you just noted in your earlier post.

You are either simply blind, ignorant or a troll. I'm not entirely sure which one to tell you the truth.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 16:231 edit
    The same ones you just noted in your earlier post.

You are either simply blind, ignorant or a troll. I'm not entirely sure which one to tell you the truth.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

And neither do you.

Marriage is a contract and the law recognizes and enforces that contract and its provisions. It recognizes and enforces all kinds of contracts. What's "special" then about doing so in the case of marriage?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 16:25
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

And neither do you.

Marriage is a contract and the law recognizes and enforces that contract and its provisions. It recognizes and enforces all kinds of contracts. So what is "special" about marriage?
    Two observations:

You get to define the origins of marriage?

I thought you said that marriage did not bring special legal rights.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 16:271 edit
    Two observations:

You get to define the origins of marriage?

I thought you said that marriage did not bring special legal rights.
    The law defines secular marriage. For example in my State:

§ 10. Marriage a civil contract. Marriage, so far as its validity in
    law is concerned, continues to be a civil contract, to which the consent
    of parties capable in law of making a contract is essential.

NYS Domestic Relations Law sec. 10
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 16:38
    The law defines secular marriage.
    If you meant secular marriage, why didn't you say secular marriage? You simply said marriage.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 16:391 edit
    If you meant secular marriage, why didn't you say secular marriage? You simply said marriage.
    Because I'm uninterested in any other kind of marriage than one that is enforced by law. That is the topic of this thread.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 16:45
    Because I'm uninterested in any other kind of marriage than one that is enforced by law. That is the topic of this thread.
    Just because you are not interested in any other kind of marriage that does not negate religious marriages.

I am of the opinion that the government has no right to intrude on anyone's relationship. The government should treat all relationships equally, if a couple decides to get married or remain single but live together in a loving monogamous relationship.

The government should stay out of the private lives off all citizens. Only government dominated society allows the government to define relationships between people and give certain relationships special rights.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 16:56
    Just because you are not interested in any other kind of marriage that does not negate religious marriages.

I am of the opinion that the government has no right to intrude on anyone's relationship. The government should treat all relationships equally, if a couple decides to get married or remain single but live together in a loving monogamous relationshi ...[text shortened]... government to define relationships between people and give certain relationships special rights.
    There is no regulation of religious marriages and people are free to enter any kind of religious marriage they wish with no obstruction from the government whatsoever.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 17:26
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    There is no regulation of religious marriages and people are free to enter any kind of religious marriage they wish with no obstruction from the government whatsoever.
    In some states there are laws about common law marriages which would kick in for religious marriages.

In any case, that does not really have anything to do with my position that the government should not be involved in personal relationships. Government should stay out of everyone's bedrooms and homes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree