Half US jobs go US born

Half US jobs go US born

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
29 Dec 14

Originally posted by quackquack
If we can produce things significantly cheaper elsewhere then we should benefit from cheaper goods. The replaced American worker is by definition overcompensated in the market and we should take advantage of the cheaper foreign alternative. To legislate otherwise is silly as we deny ourselves the benefits of cheaper products.
The question is whether the benefit of having access to slightly cheaper crap outweighs the benefit of having a higher employment rate and the benefits to our society that entails.

I'm not answering the question one way or the other (it's an enormously complex inquiry), but either decision can be rational, depending on the circumstances.

q

Moves
29 Dec 14

Originally posted by Eladar
I don't know about productive, but definitely not skilled.

I'd say there are a great many hard working productive people not getting paid what they should be getting paid. They are basically working for slave wages because they work for immoral people.
In the United States you are free to change employment. Employers need hard working productive people. If all you can negotiate is slave wages, perhaps you overestimate your own self worth or underestimate what is being provided.

q

Moves
29 Dec 14

Originally posted by sh76
The question is whether the benefit of having access to slightly cheaper crap outweighs the benefit of having a higher employment rate and the benefits to our society that entails.

I'm not answering the question one way or the other (it's an enormously complex inquiry), but either decision can be rational, depending on the circumstances.
Jobs aren't outsourced to save pennies. There are transportation, re-training, marketing and publicity costs. There also is legal uncertainties in going to other countries and there is an inertia to keep the status quo. Most jobs are outsourced because the benefits are huge.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
29 Dec 14
1 edit

Jobs aren't outsourced to save pennies. There are transportation, re-training, marketing and publicity costs. There also is legal uncertainties in going to other countries and there is an inertia to keep the status quo. Most jobs are outsourced because the benefits are huge.
Then we can come up with a nuanced solution that discourages outsourcing in some areas but not in others.

My point is that there is no easy philosophical answer one way or the other.

E

Moves
29 Dec 14
1 edit

In the United States you are free to change employment. Employers need hard working productive people. If all you can negotiate is slave wages, perhaps you overestimate your own self worth or underestimate what is being provided.
You can, but many people do not. Most Americans work from pay check to pay check and can't afford to quit a job to look for another.

When you are working there isn't much time to find another job.

It's called real life.

q

Moves
30 Dec 14

You can, but many people do not. Most Americans work from pay check to pay check and can't afford to quit a job to look for another.

When you are working there isn't much time to find another job.

It's called real life.
If you have a computer and use it for luxury purposes (like to post responses to an idiot like me), then real life for you isn't working from pay check to pay check at slave rates.
I'm not willing to adopt your exaggerated negative view of the corporate world to create xenophobic policies.

q

Moves
30 Dec 14

Originally posted by sh76
Then we can come up with a nuanced solution that discourages outsourcing in some areas but not in others.

My point is that there is no easy philosophical answer one way or the other.
I understand what you are saying, I just don't really see it as a problem. People are far more likely to think they unfairly lost their job or a potential job to a foreigner than acknowledge they demanded too high a wage, were underproductive, unskilled or unreliable.

K

Germany

Moves
30 Dec 14

I never actually said that but I'll stand by my actual statement: if you can be replaced by someone who makes 10-20 dollars a day, you probably aren't that productive.
There is little relation between wages and productivity.

q

Moves
30 Dec 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
There is little relation between wages and productivity.
because you know better the true value of work than the free market?

K

Germany

Moves
30 Dec 14

Whether I do or don't bears no relation to the fact that there is little relation between wages and productivity.

E

Moves
30 Dec 14

The free market doesn't work when you are at the bottom working as little more than a slave.

It works pretty darn well if you are born into the upper economic end.

q

Moves
30 Dec 14

The free market doesn't work when you are at the bottom working as little more than a slave.

It works pretty darn well if you are born into the upper economic end.
Stop blaming the free markets for not paying you more than you can negotiate, your employer for working within the constraints of reality, and your parents fault for being the wrong status. At some point your lot in life is determined by your own actions.

E

Moves
30 Dec 14

Stop blaming the free markets for not paying you more than you can negotiate, your employer for working within the constraints of reality, and your parents fault for being the wrong status. At some point your lot in life is determined by your own actions.
It isn't the free market's fault. I'm just saying that the free market does not guarantee that a better worker will get better pay.

You are making a huge incorrect assumption.

q

Moves
30 Dec 14

It isn't the free market's fault. I'm just saying that the free market does not guarantee that a better worker will get better pay.

You are making a huge incorrect assumption.
There are no guarantees of anything but it seems to me that there is demand for quality workers and businesses will pay for what they need.

E

Moves
30 Dec 14

There are no guarantees of anything but it seems to me that there is demand for quality workers and businesses will pay for what they need.
You are the one who made the claim that if you are more productive you will automatically make more money due to capitalism.