Isn't it time to end the bloodshed in Gaza

Isn't it time to end the bloodshed in Gaza

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
33d

@sleepyguy said
I say stop giving money away period, but you missed my edit.

How is the American citizen's safety enhanced by aiding what many see (rightly or wrongly) as genocide?
Stop giving aid cold turkey? Impossible. Aid, grants and other assistance is a form of buying control over much of the world. America is not going to give up that. when it works so well and only cost the US taxpayers less than 1% of the national budget. Its small potatoes. Why are you making a fuss about it.

Moves
33d

@divegeester said
As an evangelical born-again christian yourself; will you be voting for the lying, “pussy-grabbing”, whoring Trump in November KellyJay?
I wonder if biden “grabbed” his daughter when he was showering with her?

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
33d
1 edit

@rajk999 said
Stop giving aid cold turkey? Impossible. Aid, grants and other assistance is a form of buying control over much of the world. America is not going to give up that. when it works so well and only cost the US taxpayers less than 1% of the national budget. Its small potatoes. Why are you making a fuss about it.
I'm not making a fuss. I'm asking a question that you keep ducking. "Buying control" (or controlling by other means, like bombing the crap out of them, or providing the bombs for others to do so) of other countries is not what our govt is for. Those actions make us less safe by fomenting hatred for America around the world. So again, how does it make American citizens safer or more well off for our govt to give our money away, and embroil ourselves in the wars of other countries?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
33d
1 edit

@sleepyguy said
I'm not making a fuss. I'm asking a question that you keep ducking. "Buying control" (or controlling by other means, like bombing the crap out of them, or providing the bombs for others to do so) of other countries is not what our govt is for. Those actions make us less safe by fomenting hatred for America around the world. So again, how does it make American citizens safer ...[text shortened]... well off for our govt to give our money away, and embroil ourselves in the wars of other countries?
Actually that is exactly what governments are for. Govt to govt assistance is required to deal with the bad guys. There are many in the world. Islamic terrorists are the bad guys and need to be destroyed. Those fighting Islamic terrorism need assistance.

The USA is not a hated country. If that were the case millions of people all over the world would not be trying to get in to live there. The US is hated only by certain types and I have already said who it is.

Personally I agree with the US govt policy of getting involved with the affairs of other countries.

c

Moves
33d

No one in the IDF was sacked but now that Israel is actually killing British citizens, there has been considerable heat. UK has also had to look at its position.

Brother of aid worker killed in Gaza criticises arming Israel

The family of a British aid worker killed by an air strike in Gaza have criticised the sale of arms to Israel.

James Henderson was among seven aid workers who died in the Israeli attack, which his brother called "inexcusable".

Rishi Sunak is under growing pressure after the strike, which also killed Britons John Chapman and James Kirby, as well as Australian, Palestinian, American-Canadian and Polish nationals.

On Tuesday, the PM said the UK had a "very careful" arms licensing regime.

Earlier, 600 legal experts wrote to the government saying weapon exports must end because the UK risks breaking international law over a "plausible risk of genocide" in Gaza.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
33d

@sleepyguy said
I'm not making a fuss. I'm asking a question that you keep ducking. "Buying control" (or controlling by other means, like bombing the crap out of them, or providing the bombs for others to do so) of other countries is not what our govt is for. Those actions make us less safe by fomenting hatred for America around the world. So again, how does it make American citizens safer ...[text shortened]... well off for our govt to give our money away, and embroil ourselves in the wars of other countries?
I'm not sure any American support/intervention in the Middle East has been to our advantage.

In particular, support for Israel countervails any other positives and leaves us always - at best - somewhat neutral and at worst - 9/11.

After this latest atrocity in Gaza, we should politely say goodbye to Israel and leave them to their own devices.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
33d

@rajk999 said
Actually that is exactly what governments are for. Govt to govt assistance is required to deal with the bad guys. There are many in the world. Islamic terrorists are the bad guys and need to be destroyed. Those fighting Islamic terrorism need assistance.

The USA is not a hated country. If that were the case millions of people all over the world would not be trying to ...[text shortened]...
Personally I agree with the US govt policy of getting involved with the affairs of other countries.
Well I understand your point of view. I used to share it, but no longer. The attitude that we should meddle in other countries affairs for our own advantage because hey it's cheap and works great is an arrogant one, and it breeds contempt for us. Without that approach, would there even have been a 9/11?

If you had the misfortune to be born in Gaza, and had a child blown to smithereens as collateral damage to furthering American interests in the region, who do you think the "bad guys" would be to you?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
33d

@spruce112358 said
I'm not sure any American support/intervention in the Middle East has been to our advantage.

In particular, support for Israel countervails any other positives and leaves us always - at best - somewhat neutral and at worst - 9/11.

After this latest atrocity in Gaza, we should politely say goodbye to Israel and leave them to their own devices.
The middle east is a powerful group of Islamic states. If they had been a cohesive group they could easily run amok all over the world. Thankfully they cannot get along among themselves, due to religious differences, and the presence of Israel smack in the middle of them, causes further destabliistion. It is worth it for the western countries to support Israel.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
33d
1 edit

@sleepyguy said
Well I understand your point of view. I used to share it, but no longer. The attitude that we should meddle in other countries affairs for our own advantage because hey it's cheap and works great is an arrogant one, and it breeds contempt for us. Without that approach, would there even have been a 9/11?

If you had the misfortune to be born in Gaza, and had a child blown ...[text shortened]... age to furthering American interests in the region, who do you think the "bad guys" would be to you?
Me, born in Gaza? I would have moved out as soon as I read Hamas manifesto in 1988 to kill all Jews. It is a stupid Palestinian, seeing what the Jews are capable of in terms of war, and stands up to fight them. I would have left with my family.

There is good case for USA providing aid, grants to poor countries, and military aid to allies at war. Its not meddling. It is assisting. I live in one of these poor countries that have already gotten into trouble and needed help. Guyana right now is glad that the US is sitting nearby watching Venezuela. This is the case all over the world

You living in a rich country wont understand this. You are probably like a rich mans son who does not understand why his dad is helpful to those in need, when he needs the latest sports car instead.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
33d

@rajk999 said
Me, born in Gaza? I would have moved out as soon as I read Hamas manifesto in 1988 to kill all Jews. It is a stupid Palestinian, seeing what the Jews are capable of in terms of war, and stands up to fight them. I would have left with my family.

There is good case for USA providing aid, grants to poor countries, and military aid to allies at war. Its not meddling. It i ...[text shortened]... not understand why his dad is helpful to those in need, when he needs the latest sports car instead.
Palestinians aren't allowed to move out.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
33d
1 edit

@athousandyoung said
Palestinians aren't allowed to move out.
Now, maybe. Back in the 1980s prior to Hamas they could have moved. They want Hamas to kill Jews and they stayed to enjoy the show. They are getting a front row view of the movie "The End of Gaza".

c

Moves
32d

Could Netanyahu have averted this?

Body of Israeli hostage recovered from Gaza after 'months of torture'

Elad Katzir was taken from his kibbutz on 7 October and was twice seen in hostage videos. After his body was found, his sister said he had been abandoned and called the Israeli government "cowardly".

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
32d

@congruent said
Could Netanyahu have averted this?

Body of Israeli hostage recovered from Gaza after 'months of torture'

Elad Katzir was taken from his kibbutz on 7 October and was twice seen in hostage videos. After his body was found, his sister said he had been abandoned and called the Israeli government "cowardly".
Yes, he could have wiped out Gaza sometime prior to Oct 7th.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
32d

@rajk999 said
The middle east is a powerful group of Islamic states. If they had been a cohesive group they could easily run amok all over the world. Thankfully they cannot get along among themselves, due to religious differences, and the presence of Israel smack in the middle of them, causes further destabliistion. It is worth it for the western countries to support Israel.
You have noticed that few of the countries that have 'run amok' over the last hundred years having been Islamic, right? I'm thinking of Germany, Japan, and Russia. I'm defining 'running amok' as 'major invasion of a sovereign country', not minor border disputes, and not counter-invasions (e.g. Allied opposition to fascism). I'm not counting supplying aid to one side in a civil war as 'running amok' because then that would be a very long list.

So which Islamic countries have run amok? Turkey stayed out of WWII but invaded half of Cyprus in 1974. Iran has supplied various sides in other disputes (rightly or wrongly; so do many nations) but not attacked out of their country. Pakistan - no. Afghanistan - no. Indonesia - New Guinea and East Timor. Lebanon - no. Saudia Arabia and the Gulf States - no. Syria intervened in Lebanon. Somalia invaded Ethiopia in 1977. But I'm not sure most of this would count as 'running amok.'

The main example that comes to mind is Iraq which 'ran amok' in Kuwait and was promptly punished for it.

You may be referring to the Arab-Israeli wars, but this was opposition to an invasion, "being colonized". Arabs rightly didn't want a colony of European Jews to establish in their midst - which is a perfectly reasonable viewpoint, as the last 70 years have shown.

Humanity's colonial period was mostly brutal and tragic. It was NEVER the colonizers who were the "good guys" (they thought they were). But usually they just slaughter and oppress those they find on "their" (self-proclaimed) land - as the Israelis are doing now.

So how do you define this 'powerful group of Islamic states' ready to 'run amok over the world?' Seems like that doesn't really exist.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
32d
1 edit

@spruce112358 said
You have noticed that few of the countries that have 'run amok' over the last hundred years having been Islamic, right? I'm thinking of Germany, Japan, and Russia. I'm defining 'running amok' as 'major invasion of a sovereign country', not minor border disputes, and not counter-invasions (e.g. Allied opposition to fascism). I'm not counting supplying aid to one side in a ...[text shortened]... l group of Islamic states' ready to 'run amok over the world?' Seems like that doesn't really exist.
Just a few points :
- Colonialism was good thing. It helped poor countries to rise up out of underdevelopment. The colonial powers built infrastructure, assisted with government and provided technical expertise in all sectors. Its good. Many countries after breaking free of the colonists have gone into the gutter, is now rife will corruption, unproductive, GDP is falling and the country reverts into poverty.
- Palestinians never owned the land of Palestine. It was a British territory... so was not 'their' land.
- Islamic countries breed extremists and these groups form themselves into terror cells. The more famous ones are Boko Haram, Taliban, Hamas, Hexbollah, Houthi and several others. These groups have killed by the millions and displaced tens of millions of people. The small ones are growing in European countries and they are causing havoc. Maybe you need to research this. The fact that some of these have Israel to worry about keeps them at bay. They are dangerous and people who ignore these extremists will live to regret it.