Adieu

Adieu

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by FMF
[b]Obviously, if we go back to 2006 when Yasser Serawein showed up to check the place out with the intention of buying subscriptions for 50 or more young players he was coaching only to be driven off in less than a day by the bullies we can see how the two worlds; unfettered social media 'banter' and serious chess are totally incompatible, at least here in the US.

Is this episode still accessible in the archives?[/b]
I do not know. I am not sure how far they go back.

I also know that some people used to like to resurrect old threads that were controversial and that the Moderators took the position that this practice was a violation of terms.

They would then react by banning the individual for a period of time and deleting the objectionable thread.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by Red Night
that is a deep question. I don't know and I do not think the issues that affect the forums are all that complex.

I think on some level the attempt to combine social media with chess on a fully anonymous basis was bound to lead to this.

The site was always torn between the different visions of the two founders.

In my opinion, the site should ha ...[text shortened]... tered social media 'banter' and serious chess are totally incompatible, at least here in the US.
Insightful; thanks.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
31 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Insightful; thanks.
you're welcome.

I think I would point out also that the site used to have some extremely good real life players; David Tebb and Raven69 immediately come to mine.

Greenpawn is still around, but I would argue that the quality of players has declined precipitously.

CORRECTION: I just checked, apparently David is still playing here

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 15
2 edits

Originally posted by mwmiller
Forum problems went back a little further than that. Shortly after the original forum was added to the site it didn't take long to get out of hand. Russ and Chris made attempts to maintain a civil atmosphere.

It was a lost cause for two people to try and keep it peaceful on a 24/7 site, so the forum was completely shut down for a few weeks. When it came ...[text shortened]... just stay out of it and enjoy some of the other forums as well as the other features available here.
Footnote: Since the advent of social media as we know it today, it's become readily apparent that people of all ages and walks of life from around the globe desire the warmth of human contact on a systematic basis. Online correspondence chess sites provide for this need in an incidental way. Again, in my view, Russ got it right with his strategy to position public forums as the centerpiece of Red Hot Pawn. Having been a member of two competitive chess sites for two years before saying my good byes, I do have some frame of reference for this personal assessment. Regards, Bob

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 15

you're welcome.

I think I would point out also that the site used to have some extremely good real life players; David Tebb and Raven69 immediately come to mine.

Greenpawn is still around, but I would argue that the quality of players has declined precipitously.

CORRECTION: I just checked, apparently David is still playing here
Yes, there's a core of genuine chess players still here including Paul Leggett.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
31 Aug 15

Footnote: Since the advent of social media as we know it today, it's become readily apparent that people of all ages and walks of life from around the globe desire the warmth of human contact on a systematic basis. Online correspondence chess sites provide for this need in an incidental way. Again, in my view, Russ got it right with his strategy to posi ...[text shortened]... aying my good byes, I do have some frame of reference for this personal assessment. Regards, Bob
you are entitled to your opinion. As you know, I disagree.

The chess forum has always been more polite and more civil than the others and there was rarely any need for moderation there. It was largely self-modding.

One example of the problems on the GF which still stands out in my mind was the old black-faced "wheres the white womens at" routine of a now absent member. The guy perpetrating that highly offensive schtick actually showed up at an RHP meet and greet in merry olde England and our cousins across the pond were shocked to 'discover' that he was actually white.

Those of us in the USA were not surprised at all.

It points out that part of the dysfunction of the forums derives from the different perceptions of those of us separated by a common language.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
31 Aug 15

Yes, there's a core of genuine chess players still here including Paul Leggett.
I see Tony is still playing as well.

It would appear they only play a few games.

That could be a reaction to the perception that many of the 'players' at the top of rankings are really just engines or maybe just exasperation with the forums.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 15

I see Tony is still playing as well.

It would appear they only play a few games.

That could be a reaction to the perception that many of the 'players' at the top of rankings are really just engines or maybe just exasperation with the forums.
Yes, we have a game in progress though it's been awhile since he's moved:
"Last moved 69 days 2 hours and 43 minutes ago"

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
31 Aug 15
1 edit

Yes, we have a game in progress though it's been awhile since he's moved:
"Last moved 69 days 2 hours and 43 minutes ago"
I enjoyed my games with both Tebbs and Tony back in the day.

Both are better players than me.

(As an aside it always amazes me how RHP threads morph. This one started out as a pompous, passive-aggressive attack by a frustrated user of questionable gender most likely shilling a fraud.)

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 15
1 edit

you are entitled to your opinion. As you know, I disagree.

The chess forum has always been more polite and more civil than the others and there was rarely any need for moderation there. It was largely self-modding.

One example of the problems on the GF which still stands out in my mind was the old black-faced "wheres the white womens at" routine of ...[text shortened]... of the forums derives from the different perceptions of those of us separated by a common language.
Red, I'd submit to you that the active membership here is a mixed bag of chess only; both chess and public forums [myself included]; and public forums only members [all of whom generate site revenue]. Only Russ would know the distribution of this profile, its cycles and trends since 2001.

Edit Note: "The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community. Feel free to just read, but please consider posting a comment. Most posts will develop into a conversation (called a 'thread' ), so be sure to check back and follow up on any of your earlier posts." ~Russ

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
31 Aug 15

Red, I'd submit to you that the active membership here is a mixed bag of chess only; both chess and public forums [myself included]; and public forums only members [all of whom generate site revenue]. Only Russ would know the distribution of this profile, its cycles and trends since 2001.
It always has been.

I would submit that Russ, not a chess player, underestimated the potential for a site dedicated exclusively to chess.

Obviously, the name itself, "Red Hot Pawn" says much about his initial thoughts on the matter. I think, given that he launched companion sites like 'The Immortal Game" that at some point he saw the initial approach as a mistake, but by then it was too late and competing chess only sites had garnered most of the serious players.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
31 Aug 15

Edit Note: "The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community. Feel free to just read, but please consider posting a comment. Most posts will develop into a conversation (called a 'thread' ), so be sure to check back and follow up on any of your earlier posts." ~Russ[/b]
Exactly!

Russ saw the forums as the core and not the chess.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 15

Exactly!

Russ saw the forums as the core and not the chess.
I'd welcome Russ himself to weigh in on this rather significant discussion.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
31 Aug 15

I'd welcome Russ himself to weigh in on this rather significant discussion.
I doubt he will and I am always a little nervous that when I start talking like this that he will just boot me off.

I think he is much happier when I am "stirring the pot" so to speak and creating activity in the forums.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 15
1 edit

I doubt he will and I am always a little nervous that when I start talking like this that he will just boot me off.

I think he is much happier when I am "stirring the pot" so to speak and creating activity in the forums.
Here's a sidebar question which probably should have been a personal message [if so please forgive the indiscretion]: Since your return on August 23, 2015, your chess games completed and in progress total a dozen or more; while your public forum posts occupy six pages [of 15 each]: If you stay, which of the three categories of active members will you become: chess only; chess and public forums; or public forums only? Only a few people in your entire lifetime will speak with candor to you or me or any other member of the human race. David Hume, I believe, observed that (in paraphrase): 'We arrive at the truth through the honest disagreement among friends'.

"just boot me off" no. Just look at the post activity your return has spawned on this public forum.