1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 12:33
    Originally posted by lolof
    I don't think we should compare 'incidents' - I would say tragedies. I base my opinion on the many cases I have heard about and it is my firm belief that suicide is committed in ultimate despair and should not be judged.
    We agree, lolof. In context, the purpose of the "incident" given here is to illustrate the grief this one family suffered; no comparisons are made.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 12:47
    Originally posted by Seitse
    For an added laugh, I invite you all to check how great of a parent
    Bobby claims to be. I bet his kids laugh at people who commit suicide
    too.

Thread 166481
    Yay, I cannot edit anymore this one.

O.k., let's have it on top of the new page then. Here we go.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 15:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    We agree, lolof. In context, the purpose of the "incident" given here is to illustrate the grief this one family suffered; no comparisons are made.
    So you are not using this incident as a "back story" to cast context onto your "insult" comment then? This is suddenly just a random example of "grief", is that it?
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 16:05
    I think we can all imagine the sorrow and loss for the families and friends concerned, losing a dear friend this way, but you can't use your example to prove that suicide is wrong. It's a tragedy and not a matter of right or wrong.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 16:14
    I think we can all imagine the sorrow and loss for the families and friends concerned, losing a dear friend this way, but you can't use your example to prove that suicide is wrong. It's a tragedy and not a matter of right or wrong.
    Yes, lolof, I do share your sentiments:

"So, yes, suicide can and does happen within families at all strata of society in this country.

Though I have no idea of the percentage statistics, the frequency of reported suicides on the media news seems to be trending upward. Now and then these reports cause me to reflect once again on the family tragedy described above. God forbid that any of your children or mine will ever even contemplate suicide without seeking professional help at the very onset of depression and/or the temptation to summarily end their lives." (Page 7)
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 16:221 edit

"So, yes, suicide can and does happen within families at all strata of society in this country.

Though I have no idea of the percentage statistics, the frequency of reported suicides on the media news seems to be trending upward. Now and then these reports cause me to reflect once again ...[text shortened]... lp at the very onset of depression and/or the temptation to summarily end their lives." (Page 7)
    Many of these people, I'm sure, have tried to find help time and time again but it hasn't been enough. You must take into account that rational thinking does not apply here.
    And don't use your family or mine as examples - I can see beyond my family situation and recognize the complexity in others'.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 16:41
    Many of these people , Im sure, have tried to find help time and time again but it hasn't been enough. You must take into account that rational thinking does not apply here.
    And don't use your family or mine as examples - I can see beyond my family situation and recognize the complexity in others'.
    Message received and understood. Thanks for your insights and cautionary advice.
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 16:43
    Message received and understood. Thanks for your insights and cautionary advice.
    Thank you too.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 16:561 edit

Though I have no idea of the percentage statistics, the frequency of reported suicides on the media news seems to be trending upward. Now and then these reports cause me to reflect once again ...[text shortened]... lp at the very onset of depression and/or the temptation to summarily end their lives." (Page 7)
    This thread and your comments in it throw your forum persona into stark relief. You try to present yourself as this paternal egalitarian when actually what some of us consistently see is more of a legalistic passive aggressive bully.

For example your repetitive citing of the site's Terms of Service when correcting posters who do not comply with your view or thread structure, and your sycophantic genuflecting to the owner. However this apparent superficial eccentricity goes deeper, pervading your most fundamental beliefs in right and wrong: unbelievers suffering in hell and punishment of suicides.

Stop and think.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 17:131 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    This thread and your comments in it throw your forum persona into stark relief. You try to present yourself as this paternal egalitarian when actually what some of us consistently see is more of a legalistic passive aggressive bully.

For example your repetitive citing of the site's Terms of Service when correcting posters who do not comply with your vie ...[text shortened]... fs in right and wrong: unbelievers suffering in hell and punishment of suicides.

Stop and think.
    As always, you're entitled to an opinion however flawed or emotionally driven it may be.

"There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See." (John Heywood, 1546)
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 18:03
    As always, you're entitled to an opinion however flawed or emotionally driven it may be.

This attempted put down from you seems emotionally-driven given the hole you've dug yourself into on this thread.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 18:241 edit
    I think it is proper to psychoanalyze the persona of Bobby, taking
    into account the serious issues which have transpired in this and
    other threads.

I am seriously concerned about the psychological damage which
    can be inflicted on other site users by such merciless bullying.

The way some of us see it: either the bully retracts his words and
    apologizes, or we all have to organize a public apology towards
    him, on behalf of our loved ones who have committed suicide,
    for insulting him in his character of humanity's spokesperson.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 18:30
    Here's the back story. There was an actual incident which occurred approximately twenty years ago involving the father (a relatively young man in his prime and as far as anyone knew in good health) who was discovered late one weekday afternoon by his wife asphyxiated by carbon monoxide in one of their two automobiles with the engine still running in the garage.
    How does this "back story" explain your view that suicide is an insult to the rest of the human race?

If you now think the word "insult" was not the right word - fair enough - but what was it about the man in this "back story" that made you grasp for that word and think that he was was doing something ~ whether it be directly or indirectly ~ to the entire "human race"?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 19:04

Anyone reading through this thread will very quickly see where the flaws lie.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 19:233 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Anyone reading through this thread will very quickly see where the flaws lie.
    Anyone who is rational rather than emotional and focused on this thread's topic "Our Ethical Creed" rather than fixated on the real or imagined shortcomings of other members of Red Hot Pawn "will very quickly see where the flaws lie". About @divegeester: "Although I love the chess, I'm beginning to grow weary of the bigotry, dishonesty and duchbaggery from some of the posters here. 8 years will probably be enough."

Note: I for one will miss you and your contrarian points of view during 2016 and beyond. Regards, Bob

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree