Consultation vote - ending anonymous recommendations

Consultation vote - ending anonymous recommendations

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

player of the violin

Canada.

Moves
15 Oct 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
You should have 4 of them coming your way.

πŸ˜‰
I got them all. and a few extra!

πŸ˜€

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Russ
Some changes...notifications for public forum only now. And only at 3, 9 and 18 up votes.
Can 18 people thumb this up so I know what that feels like? 😡

RHP Member No.16

Moves
15 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
you better get some KY. πŸ˜€

Sorry. The devil made me do it.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
15 Oct 15

Originally posted by Russ
Some changes...notifications for public forum only now. And only at 3, 9 and 18 up votes.
From comments I have seen it looks like nobody wants those notifications at all.
Am I missing something here?

player of the violin

Canada.

Moves
15 Oct 15

lol πŸ˜‰

player of the violin

Canada.

Moves
15 Oct 15

Originally posted by mwmiller
From comments I have seen it looks like nobody wants those notifications at all.
Am I missing something here?
divegeester: I definitely vote yes, far more interesting

I don't mind them... but I don't love them. I don't really care

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Oct 15

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Not behind your consultation, maybe. Behind the original suggestion? You better believe there is.
Precisely.

And anyone with a brain can figure out that once the slope is determined for "thumbs up" votes, the "thumbs down" votes will follow automatically, without any "consultation". And once the fallout starts coming down, only the social engineers out there who want the thumbs removed (so they can be free to post their derision of anybody they don't like without reprisal) and the anarchists who only want controversy, chaos and argument will have their way. And then the exodus will begin.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Oct 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Precisely.

And anyone with a brain can figure out that once the slope is determined for "thumbs up" votes, the "thumbs down" votes will follow automatically, without any "consultation". And once the fallout starts coming down, only the social engineers out there who want the thumbs removed (so they can be free to post their derision of anybody they don' ...[text shortened]... only want controversy, chaos and argument will have their way. And then the exodus will begin.
Visible thumbs down would be a bummer for you, right? πŸ˜‰

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
16 Oct 15

Precisely.

And anyone with a brain can figure out that once the slope is determined for "thumbs up" votes, the "thumbs down" votes will follow automatically, without any "consultation". And once the fallout starts coming down, only the social engineers out there who want the thumbs removed (so they can be free to post their derision of anybody they don' ...[text shortened]... only want controversy, chaos and argument will have their way. And then the exodus will begin.
Sorry to be dumb - but what do you mean by ' ... once the slope is determined for "thumbs up" votes .. '?
Do you simply mean the vote?
I presumed that we're voting on exposing who thumbed which post - both up and down. Doesn't make sense to do one without the other.

As I see it, if Russ makes it so that hovering over the thumb icons (I'd be interested to hear how the implementation will actually work) shows a list of thumbers, then you'd probably deter the serial thumbs up (or down) monkeys who simply up or down thumb a whole thread.

When I hit the thumb icons it tends to be because I rate what's been said - it's funny or thought provoking or interesting or "worthy" (whatever that means). I tend to not hit the thumbs down - if you're going to slag someone off, then at least do it openly - i.e post and say so. I may do it more if the fact that I[ was known to be the one critical of the post in question - less effort than composing a post.
I can see that people may have problems with the openness of this, but if you're ashamed of your thumbing activity then maybe you shouldn't be thumbing - no one says you have to.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 15

Originally posted by orangutan
Sorry to be dumb - but what do you mean by ' ... once the slope is determined for "thumbs up" votes .. '?
Do you simply mean the vote?
I presumed that we're voting on exposing who thumbed which post - both up and down. Doesn't make sense to do one without the other.

As I see it, if Russ makes it so that hovering over the thumb icons (I'd be in ...[text shortened]... shamed of your thumbing activity then maybe you shouldn't be thumbing - no one says you have to.
From the OP:

"A consultation vote is running now regarding identifiable likes/recommendations on forums posts in the future."

It says "likes/recommendations". It doesn't say "likes/dislikes". I'm guessing the first to get a tally of voters would be the "likes/recs" (as per the OP), followed by the "dislikes" later, but probably only if they can shove the agreement for the "likes" past us.

And I'm still saying that the person who wants the votes known is the same person who wants the votes eliminated. The end result will be the same. It's simply a play to get the sheer number of votes down.

I still say that all you people who want "transparency" in the thumb votes should have no problem with Russ outing the person whose idea this originally was. Because this is wholly their agenda. Frankly, I'm surprised such an obvious move made it this far to reality.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
16 Oct 15

From the OP:

"A consultation vote is running now regarding identifiable likes/recommendations on forums posts in the future."

It says "likes/recommendations". It doesn't say "likes/dislikes". I'm guessing the first to get a tally of voters would be the "likes/recs" (as per the OP), followed by the "dislikes" later, but probably only if they can shov ...[text shortened]... s wholly their agenda. Frankly, I'm surprised such an obvious move made it this far to reality.
posted by Suzianne It says "likes/recommendations". It doesn't say "likes/dislikes".
Ah - a subtlety I hadn't noticed from the OP.

I think that showing the names behind one (thumbs up) would be a bit weird without showing the names behind the other (thumbs down) - just my opinion.

posted by Suzianne And I'm still saying that the person who wants the votes known is the same person who wants the votes eliminated. The end result will be the same. It's simply a play to get the sheer number of votes down.

This I don't understand. Sorry - I'm not being deliberately obtuse - by "votes" here you're meaning the thumb count as opposed to [vid]27[/vid] - and "the person" is who?
I found a reference in this form from Swiss Gambit back in 2012 (I think). I'm pretty sure other people have in the time since recs were replaced by thumbs suggested the same thing.
I don't get why you think that there's some agenda being worked here. This hasn't been pushed recently (or have I missed something), Russ would appear to be picking up on something that has come up a few times in separate places and has found a way to do what was asked. He's putting it to the vote as he can see it's a divisive issue.

To be honest - the thumb up / down thing as it stands has quite a bit of abuse. How many times have you seen a post that's been thumbed up or down for absolutely no apparent reason? It bugs me when someone says something completely uncontentious and they get a thumb down for it.
Knowing who was doing the ups and downs would allow everyone to make a judgement about the value of those ups and downs.
If nothing else - it's been the same old same old round here since 2011 (that's when thumbs replaced recs). A change may enliven things around here.

Maybe Russ could clarify -

What will the reveal look like? Is it going to be a list always in view - or a roll-over - how's it going to look?

It is both Ups and Downs or just the ups?

Will there be an anonymous option? i.e. I like / dislike a post could I thumb anonymously and have it still count - or would a sock-puppet account be required for this?

Is this a sub / non-sub thing (are non-sub scum allows to thumb)?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Oct 15

I would also like to know who suggested this "feature". Because after all, if we're going to have all this "transparency" on the site, I think it's fully reasonable to be transparent about whose idea this was.

And then maybe after that, we can have further "transparency" regarding the names of moderators. Because hey, if we users have to be faced with the "transparency police" knowing our every move, then certainly the one who made this happen and the moderators should all be known as well.

Bad idea, you say? I couldn't agree more. And allowing all to see the thumb votes is a bad idea too.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Oct 15

I would also like to know who suggested this "feature". Because after all, if we're going to have all this "transparency" on the site, I think it's fully reasonable to be transparent about whose idea this was.

And then maybe after that, we can have further "transparency" regarding the names of moderators. Because hey, if we users have to be faced with ...[text shortened]... ea, you say? I couldn't agree more. And allowing all to see the thumb votes is a bad idea too.
Here's a thought: some things can be done by degrees. Everything is not a slippery slope.

rc

Moves
20 Oct 15
3 edits

Here is what it looks like
From Subject Received Delete
Subscriber Chess Host 'Go ahead. Make my day.' has challenged your clan Oct 20 2015 08:27
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 20 2015 07:59
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 20 2015 07:58
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 20 2015 07:58
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 18 2015 08:42
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 18 2015 00:10
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 15:01
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 15:00
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 14:58
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 14:58
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:43
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:43
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:42
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:42
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:40
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:40
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:39
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:39
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 17 2015 05:38
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'General' forum post Oct 16 2015 22:04
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'General' forum post Oct 16 2015 22:04
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post

you will notice that among the insipid and inane drivel of 'someone has recommended your forum post' (who cares?) there is import information in the form of a clan challenge.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
20 Oct 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
From Subject Received Delete
Subscriber Chess Host 'Go ahead. Make my day.' has challenged your clan Oct 20 2015 08:27
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 20 2015 07:59
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommende ...[text shortened]... ended your forum post' (who cares?) there is import information in the form of a clan challenge.
I'm with you on that one. It's overkill to get a message each time you get a rec.