Consultation vote - ending anonymous recommendations

Consultation vote - ending anonymous recommendations

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by orangutan
So @Russ - What happens now?
Nothing at all.

Move on, everyone...

Next!
😉

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by orangutan
Thread 147049 5th post and Thread 148048 7th post - straight after yours. It wasn't that hard to find Suzianne - you've heard of Google?
Those posts were back in 2012, about one year after the thumbs were introduced.

But @SwissGambit stopped playing or posting here some time ago now.
Quite right. Why suddenly put up this vote now, then?

Perhaps I spoke inaccurately. What I want is the name of the person whose recent suggestion to reveal the thumb votes caused Russ to put up this vote, not who originally thought of it. Because no doubt, whoever campaigns to cease letting a secret vote remain secret has an agenda, and I doubt that SwissGambit's original postings of this idea, way back in 2012, is what caused Russ to put up this vote.

You wonder what is the big deal. The big deal is that the secrecy of a vote is the only way to make that vote as honest as possible. This might not be a big deal to you Brits, but to Americans such as myself, the secret vote is a major tool in securing the honesty of those votes. Those who want to know the votes do so with one of two objectives. One is to confront those who vote against you so that you can 'buy' their vote, often though threats, making a mockery out of the system. And the second is to restrict all voting because the voters don't want to be threatened. The secret vote prevents all this. I'd go so far as to say that the secret vote is a pillar of democracy, for without it, democracy is weakened catastrophically.

SwissGambit was one of many whinging over a change to the system, allowing positive and negative voting, where only positive voting was allowed before. He knew, as I do, and as anyone should know, that eliminating the secrecy of votes renders the vote meaningless, and he knew that recs weren't coming back and so the next best thing was to render thumbs meaningless, so that they could then propose that they be abolished altogether.

But, thankfully, it looks like democracy has won this time. But our Moriarty is still out there, and will no doubt try again some other time.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
30 Oct 15

Originally posted by Suzianne

Perhaps I spoke inaccurately. What I want is the name of the person whose recent suggestion to reveal the thumb votes caused Russ to put up this vote, not who originally thought of it. Because no doubt, whoever campaigns to cease letting a secret vote remain secret has an agend ...[text shortened]... on this time. But our Moriarty is still out there, and will no doubt try again some other time.
Your paranoia is getting worse.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
31 Oct 15

Originally posted by divegeester
Your paranoia is getting worse.
Actually Dive... I think you'll find her paranoia is getting better.

Moves
31 Oct 15

Perhaps I spoke inaccurately. What I want is the name of the person whose recent suggestion to reveal the thumb votes caused Russ to put up this vote, not who originally thought of it. Because no doubt, whoever campaigns to cease letting a secret vote remain secret has an agend ...[text shortened]... on this time. But our Moriarty is still out there, and will no doubt try again some other time.
Wow.

That's an interesting insight into one American mind! What have you got against the British?

F

Moves
31 Oct 15

What I want is the name of the person whose recent suggestion to reveal the thumb votes caused Russ to put up this vote, not who originally thought of it.
What are you going to do if you find out the name of the person?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Nov 15

Originally posted by FMF
What are you going to do if you find out the name of the person?
Thumb down all their posts.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by divegeester
Thumb down all their posts.
To be bluntly honest .....we get a new feature that seems about as useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat but couldn't the time that was laboriously spend to create this new feature be better spent on more important matters.....such as getting rid of engine users. That's just my fix on it but I'm sure there are many varying opinions about it.