Consultation vote - ending anonymous recommendations

Consultation vote - ending anonymous recommendations

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
20 Oct 15

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I'm with you on that one. It's overkill to get a message each time you get a rec.
thankyou Bigdoggproblem

rc

Moves
22 Oct 15
2 edits

Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 05:04
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 05:04
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:37
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:36
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:35
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:35
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:34
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:34
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:33
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:31
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:31
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:30
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:30
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:29
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:29
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:28
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:27
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:27
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:26
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:26
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:25
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:25

overkill?

Moves
22 Oct 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:37
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct ...[text shortened]... ber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:25

overkill?
Or perhaps divine punishment for your clan forum activity.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
22 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Or perhaps divine punishment for your clan forum activity.
As I said before, that's what happens when he creates a clan of flunkies just to thumb up his every utterance on the Clans forum.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
22 Oct 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Subscriber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct ...[text shortened]... ber Chess Host 3 people have recommended your 'Clans' forum post Oct 22 2015 02:25

overkill?
Those are all thumbs down nit-wit.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Oct 15

Originally posted by divegeester
I think the point was that it's spam either way. 🙄

Moves
23 Oct 15

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I think the point was that it's spam either way. 🙄
Perhaps we should all vote up every single post Russ has ever made, to show him how good an idea this is.

S

Moves
23 Oct 15

Originally posted by Russ
It actually came from a suggestion in this forum earlier this year. There is no agenda.
Who made the suggestion please?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 15

Originally posted by divegeester
A 'Thumbs Down' is not a 'recommendation', nit-wit.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Sirdubalot
Who made the suggestion please?
This is the question, isn't it? Akin to the small child exclaiming that the Emperor has no clothes, everyone claiming that the 'thumbs' system needs transparency forgets that we're NOT being told WHO came up with this insane idea to begin with. That's transparency too, and if transparency is not desired in one case, it's probably not really a good idea in other cases either, if one were to just think about it. The person who came up with this idea to make thumb votes public is seeking to eliminate the thumb votes, plain and simple. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that everyone who thinks the thumb votes should be made public also think the thumb votes should be eliminated. Granted, there are those who are anarchists and just don't care which way the herd turns (and indeed would love to see the herd driven into a ditch, just for the lulz), but most adults understand that decisions have consequences.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
25 Oct 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
This is the question, isn't it? Akin to the small child exclaiming that the Emperor has no clothes, everyone claiming that the 'thumbs' system needs transparency forgets that we're NOT being told WHO came up with this insane idea to begin with. That's transparency too, and if transparency is not desired in one case, it's probably not really a good idea in ...[text shortened]... n into a ditch, just for the lulz), but most adults understand that decisions have consequences.
Thread 147049 5th post and Thread 148048 7th post - straight after yours. It wasn't that hard to find Suzianne - you've heard of Google?
Those posts were back in 2012, about one year after the thumbs were introduced.

But @SwissGambit stopped playing or posting here some time ago now.

I don't get why you're so put out by this. I get the impression that you think there is something underhand going on - quite how you're linking wanting the ability to see who makes a thumb up or down with getting the thumbs removed entirely is a mystery to me.
Facebook likes are not anonymous - I don't see howls of outrage there or a clamour for their removal (mind you, I'm not on Facebook much so I could have missed that).
If there really was someone who wanted the thumb feature removed then surely an easier way to get the thumbs removed would be to ask for .. well, the thumbs to be removed?

If the thumbers identity is shown then it will change the thumbs into something completely different that's for sure.
But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I think we should trial it at least - run it for a few months and then run another vote maybe.
Without doubt it'll add a level of interest.

As for the anonymity of the vote for this additional feature - disclosure here would eliminate the possibility of there being sock-puppet voters - accounts created for the sole purpose of voting for or against.

Anyways, I see that [vid]27[/vid] has closed with 25 [42%] for, 29 [49%] against and 5 [9%] no pref. All quite close given the low turnout [I'm pretty sure there's more than 59 people on the forums here who use the thumbs now].

So @Russ - What happens now?

RHP Member No.16

Moves
26 Oct 15

I pointed out on the first page of this thread that Russ left out an option when he put the ballot together about the 'anonymous recommendations'.
I wonder if that is what is being referred to as 'wanting the thumbs feature to be completely removed' ?

My exact post in reply to the OP was "You left out the option to completely remove the post recommendation feature."

I personally do not see much value to the thumbs feature at all, but in the case of what I posted I was pointing out that the subject of totally getting rid of that feature could have been added to the ballot as one more option to be voted on.

My understanding of the 'thumbs' up and down feature is that they have nothing to do with moderation of the forums.
If there are enough 'thumbs up' clicked the post will make it onto the recommended list.
If it is 'thumbed down' I'm not aware of anything that happens regardless of the number of times it gets clicked, except that the number goes up.
Does anyone have different information?

As far as adding the name of the people who click the thumbs, what real value would that add?
You will discover that some of the members have a 'fan club' that follows them around and 'likes' every word that they post.
You will also find that some members have a group of people that follow them around and 'dislike' every word that they post.
Will that really surprise anyone?

I think someone else has already said this, but If you are truly moved by a post just add your own post and say what you have to say.

If it had been on that ballot I would have voted to remove the 'thumbs' but since it wasn't being considered I'm also not going to work up a big sweat about it one way or the other.

player of the violin

Canada.

Moves
26 Oct 15

Originally posted by mwmiller
I pointed out on the first page of this thread that Russ left out an option when he put the ballot together about the 'anonymous recommendations'.
I wonder if that is what is being referred to as 'wanting the thumbs feature to be completely removed' ?

My exact post in reply to the OP was "You left out the option to completely remove the post recommenda ...[text shortened]... wasn't being considered I'm also not going to work up a big sweat about it one way or the other.
you have a very good point. I agree that they're pretty useless. if you want to say that you don't like someones post, then just reply to them and tell them that!

RHP Member No.16

Moves
26 Oct 15

Originally posted by DukeOfEuphony
you have a very good point. I agree that they're pretty useless. if you want to say that you don't like someones post, then just reply to them and tell them that!
Exactly. And if you don't need the attention and public forum drama, just send them a private message. 🙂

player of the violin

Canada.

Moves
26 Oct 15

Originally posted by mwmiller
Exactly. And if you don't need the attention and public forum drama, just send them a private message. 🙂
quite true 🙂