6 day creation story, ancient Egyptian mythology:

6 day creation story, ancient Egyptian mythology:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Jun 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Only when I read what you produce on RedHotPawn.
What he said.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Jun 14

Only when I read what you produce on RedHotPawn.
Your problem is that you willingly accept the lie of evolution, while rejecting the truth of creation.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Jun 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Your problem is that you willingly accept the lie of evolution, while rejecting the truth of creation.
With good reason.

F

Moves
18 Jun 14
1 edit

Yes, I am willing to accept the truth, why aren't you?
Why do you still believe in old legends that has been disproven so many times?
Why do you never learn things? Why are you so dense and fixed in all your ideas?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Jun 14

Yes, I am willing to accept the truth, why aren't you?
Why do you still believe in old legends that has been disproven so many times?
Why do you never learn things? Why are you so dense and fixed in all your ideas?
The apostle Paul refers to those like you, "who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator."

(Romans 1:25 NKJV)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Jun 14

The apostle Paul refers to those like you, "who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator."

That IS me. I'll serve creatures anytime over your god.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
That IS me. I'll serve creatures anytime over your god.
Well, at least you don't deny that it applies to you.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Jun 14

Well, at least you don't deny that it applies to you.
"it" being what?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Jun 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
"it" being what?
This statement:

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Jun 14

This statement:

Like I said and will say, I would serve the creature over your so-called creator any day of the week. I am a humanist it seems, which is fine with me since I am not afraid of any of your boogie men.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Jun 14
1 edit

The Egyptian creation myth says nothing about 6 days of creation and the method of creation is stupid and nothing like the Genesis account.

.In the beginning there was only the swirling watery chaos, called Nu. Out of these chaotic waters rose Atum, the sun god of the city of Heliopolis. It is believed that he created himself, using his thoughts and will. In the watery chaos, Atum found no place on which to stand. In the place where he first appeared, he created a hill. This hill was said to be the spot on which the temple of Heliopolis was built. Other interpretations find that Atum was the hill. In this interpretation Atum may represent the fertile, life giving hills left behind by the receding waters of the Nile's annual flood. As early as the Fifth-Dynasty, we find Atum identified with the sun god Ra. By this time his emergence on the primeval hill can be interpreted as the coming of light into the darkness of Nu. As the god of the rising sun, his name is Khepri.

. . . . .His next act was to create more gods. Because he was all alone in the world, without a mate, he made a union with his shadow. This unusual way of procreating offspring was not considered strange to the Egyptians. We find Atum regarded as a bisexual god and was sometimes called the 'Great He-She'. The Egyptians were thus able to present Atum as the one and only creative force in the universe.

. . . . .According to some texts the birth of Atum's children took place on the primeval hill. In other texts, Atum stayed in the waters of Nu to create his son and daughter. He gave birth to his son by spitting him out. His daughter he vomited. Shu represented the air and Tefnut was a goddess of moisture. Shu and Tefnut continued the act of creation by establishing a social order. To this order Shu contributed the 'principles of Life' while Tefnut contributed the 'principles of order'.

. . . . .After some time Shu and Tefnut became separated from their father and lost in the watery chaos of Nu. Atum, who had only one eye, which was removable. This was called the Udjat eye. Atum removed the eye and sent it in search of his children. In time they returned with the eye. At this reunion Atum wept tears joy, where these tears hit the ground, men grew. Now Atum was ready to create the world. So Shu and Tefnut became the parents of Geb, the earth and Nut, the sky. Geb and Nut gave birth to Osiris and Isis, Seth, Nephthys.

http://www.egyptartsite.com/crea.html

In one Egyptian creation myth, the sun god Ra takes the form of Khepri, the scarab god who was usually credited as the great creative force of the universe. Khepri tells us,"Heaven and earth did not exist. And the things of the earth did not yet exist. I raised them out of Nu, from their stagnant state. I have made things out of that which I have already made, and they came from my mouth." It seems that Khepri is telling us that in the beginning there is nothing. He made the watery abyss known as Nu, from which he later draws the materials needed for the creation of everything.

. . . . .He goes on to say, "I found no place to stand. I cast a spell with my own heart to lay a foundation in Maat. I made everything . I was alone. I had not yet breathed the god Shu, and I had not yet spit up the goddess Tefnut. I worked alone." We learn that by the use of magic Khepri creates land with its foundation in Maat (law, order, and stability). We also learn that from this foundation many things came into being. At this point in time Khepri is alone. The sun, which was called the eye of Nu, was hidden by the children of Nu. It was a long time before these two deities, Shu and Tefnut were raised out of the watery chaos of their father, Nu. They brought with them their fathers eye, the sun. Khepri then wept profusely, and from his tears sprang men and women. The gods then made another eye, which probably represents the moon. After this Khepri created plants and herbs, animals, reptiles and crawling things. In the mean time Shu and Tefnut gave birth to Geb and Nut, who in turn gave birth to Osiris and Isis, Seth, Nephthys.

http://www.egyptartsite.com/crea.html#hepr

Lower Kingdom Creation Myth
Only the ocean existed at first. Then Ra (the sun) came out of an egg that appeared on the surface of the water. Ra brought forth four children, the gods Shu and Geb and the goddesses Tefnut and Nut. Shu and Tefnut became the atmosphere. They stood on Geb, who became the earth, and raised up Nut, who became the sky. Ra ruled over all. Geb and Nut later had two sons, Set and Osiris, and two daughters, Isis and Nephthys. Osiris succeeded Ra as king of the earth, helped by Isis, his sister-wife. Set, however, hated his brother and killed him. Isis then embalmed her husband's body with the help of the god Anubis, who thus became the god of embalming. The powerful charms of Isis resurrected Osiris, who became king of the netherworld, the land of the dead. Horus, who was the son of Osiris and Isis, later defeated Set in a great battle and became king of the earth.

(Upper Kingdom creation story)
At first there was only Nun, the primal ocean of chaos that contained the beginnings of everything to come. From these waters came Ra who, by himself, gave birth to Shu and Tefnut. Shu, the god of air, and Tefnut, the goddess of moisture gave birth to Geb and Nut, the earth god and the sky goddess. And so the physical universe was created. Men were created from Ra's tears. They proved to be ungrateful so Ra, and a council of gods, decided they should be destroyed. Re created Sekhmet to do the job. She was very efficient and slaughtered all but a few humans, when Ra relented and tricked her into stopping. Thus was the present world created.

Against Ra's orders, Geb and Nut married. Ra was incensed and ordered Shu to separate them, which he did. But Nut was already pregnant, although unable to give birth as Ra had decreed she could not give birth in any month of any year. Thoth, the god of learning, decided to help her and gambling with the moon for extra light, was able to add five extra days to the 360-day calendar. On those five days Nut gave birth to Osiris, Horus the Elder, Set, Isis, and Nephthys successively. Osiris became the symbol of good, while Set became the symbol of evil. And thus the two poles of morality were fixed once and for all.

http://www.mythome.org/creategy.html

PDI

Moves
25 Jun 14
1 edit

RJ, you are on fire! Ten of the eleven most recent posts in the Spirituality Forum are yours.

If you don't have an hour available, concentrate on 43 min. to 53 min. in this lecture by agnostic scientist Lawrence Krauss.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Jun 14

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
RJ, you are on fire! Ten of the eleven most recent posts in the Spirituality Forum are yours.

If you don't have an hour available, concentrate on 43 min. to 53 min. in this lecture by agnostic scientist Lawrence Krauss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZiXC8Yh4T0
All he has to do is read the 'agnostic' part and you can forget him actually watching such an obviously evil scientist part of the grand conspiracy to kill creationism by any means possible.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
25 Jun 14

The Egyptian creation myth says nothing about 6 days of creation and the method of creation is stupid and nothing like the Genesis account.

.In the beginning there was only the swirling watery chaos, called Nu. Out of these chaotic waters rose Atum, the sun god of the city of Heliopolis. It is believed that he created himself, using his thoughts and will ...[text shortened]... for all.

http://www.mythome.org/creategy.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTy49JlgJZE
I dont't think that the Upper Egyptian story is part of the creation myth. What I understand to have happened is that there was a rebellion against Ra. So, after defeating his enemies among the Gods he sent Hathor into the world to kill the humans who were part of the conspiracy. Hathor was the godess of love and so changed into Sekhmet the Lion headed Goddess of vengeance. She killed all of Ra's enemies, but her blood lust was such that she wouldn't stop. To prevent her from killing all of humanity Ra added ochre to 2,000 barrels of beer and spread it over the land. Sekhmet, mistaking the beer for blood, drank it all and in her drunkeness turned back into Hathor the Goddess of love.

So there you are - Ruby Red Beer saved the world!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Jun 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
I dont't think that the Upper Egyptian story is part of the creation myth. What I understand to have happened is that there was a rebellion against Ra. So, after defeating his enemies among the Gods he sent Hathor into the world to kill the humans who were part of the conspiracy. Hathor was the godess of love and so changed into Sekhmet the Lion heade ...[text shortened]... urned back into Hathor the Goddess of love.

So there you are - Ruby Red Beer saved the world!
So you think the Upper Egyptian story is NOT part of the creation myth. Please don't tell me you believe it is true and not a myth. You can't be serious.