Abiogenesis, evolution and morality

Abiogenesis, evolution and morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
25 Apr 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
You know where we are heading?
Haven't a clue. Isn't life great.

🙂

rc

Moves
25 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

🙂
Haven't a clue - Ghost of a Boofhead

possible to have that in writing please - 😵

Moves
25 Apr 16
1 edit

Is the word "boofhead" allowed in this forum now?

Cape Town

Moves
25 Apr 16

Originally posted by divegeester
Is the word "boofhead" allowed in this forum now?
And is it allowed for JWs? My guess is that it isn't on their banned word list.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Apr 16

🙂
That depends on where we are going. 🙂

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
What's an "absolute right or wrong"?
A moral code where right is right even if everyone is against it and wrong is wrong even if everyone is for it.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
A moral code where right is right even if everyone is against it and wrong is wrong even if everyone is for it.
My moral code works that way.

Moves
26 Apr 16
2 edits

Socially speaking, a moral code is a 'code of moral behaviour' that at least the majority of people in a given group adhere to; a collective understanding of what is right and wrong. - If 'everyone' is against it, who's moral code is it exactly? (Go on say God, I know you want to).

As I say, they are no absolutes.

K

Germany

Moves
26 Apr 16

I think my moral code is the right one, and those codes that contradict it are incorrect regardless of their popularity. I think this is how pretty much everyone feels about their moral code; if they felt some aspect of their moral code was in fact mistaken they would not hold that belief and, in fact, that belief would not be part of their moral code. In summary, your definition of "absolute moral code" seems to be synonymous with "moral code."

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
27 Apr 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
My moral code works that way.
Care to give me an example of a situation where you have applied this moral code, and how that logically flows from your belief system?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
27 Apr 16
1 edit

Socially speaking, a moral code is a 'code of moral behaviour' that at least the majority of people in a given group adhere to; a collective understanding of what is right and wrong. - If 'everyone' is against it, who's moral code is it exactly? (Go on say God, I know you want to).

Except for the absolute truth that there are no absolutes? 😀

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
27 Apr 16

So no absolutes equals no absolute morality, which means no absolute right or wrong?
Is there an absolute standard of right or wrong to which God can be held accountable?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by finnegan
Is there an absolute standard of right or wrong to which God can be held accountable?
That is an interesting question.
If there is then that standard by definition must issue from God, by definition.

I mean I would say included in describing God could be the axiom - "A rightness, a greater than cannot be imagined."

The question amounts to asking if there is a Super Higher Being. But God is a by definition a Being, of which a greater cannot exist or be imagined.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Apr 16

Originally posted by sonship
That is an interesting question.
If there is then that standard by definition must issue from God, by definition.
That depends on what you mean by 'held accountable'. Obviously only God could actually punish himself. But under some definitions, one can hold someone accountable without actually being able to punish the person.

I mean I would say included in describing God could be the axiom - "A rightness, a greater than cannot be imagined."
So God is different for every person, as every persons morality is different?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by finnegan
God is a right One, a righteous One a greater than cannot exist.

Yet since we believe in the incarnation of God in Jesus Christ, This One on our behalf was accountable to the highest righteousness, innocently, on our behalf. And He was God incarnate.

So in the mysterious triune nature of God, God submitted Himself to judgment and accountability, innocently and undeservingly, on behalf of the guilty ones, us.

We are not commanded to be able to fully comprehend. We are commanded to believe.
God in Christ, a righteous God-man and undeserving of judgment, was accountable in a substitionary way to make atonement for us the truly guilty ones.