addiction is a choice

addiction is a choice

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Oct 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
If someone claimed to be addicted to drinking and you held a gun to their head and told them either stop drinking or a take a bullet to the head, do you think they won't be able to choose not to drink and take the bullet?
Addiction is not drinking. If someone stops drinking they do not stop being addicted.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Oct 16

Originally posted by apathist
The idea that an alcoholic, for example, can never have one drink is a myth.
It depends on the alcoholic. Some people can control themselves better than others.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
03 Oct 16
5 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
Addiction is not drinking. If someone stops drinking they do not stop being addicted.
Yes they do, it's called rehab. I know quite a few alcoholics and heroin addicts (and chain smokers) that no longer have an addiction, because they stopped using (and they found Jesus to fill the vacuum that used to be filled by the drugs).

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
03 Oct 16

originally posted by twhitehead
All diseases are a set of characteristic symptoms.
Yes, but stating it that way can be misleading. Having a set of characteristic symptoms does not imply that there is a disease involved. If you have a stubbed toe, right, you have a set of characteristic symptoms but that does not indicate you have a disease.

What does indicate a disease? I've offered this: infectious agent, or pathological biological process, or biologically degenerative condition. I don't know if that's complete or sufficient. I believe though that if you abuse a substance you chose to do so and your behavior should not be pinned on a disease.

AIDS is a disease, HIV is not.
What distinction are you seeing there?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
03 Oct 16

Yes they do, it's called rehab. I know quite a few alcoholics and heroin addicts that no longer have an addiction, because they stopped using (And they found Jesus).
From what i've seen, substitution is normative.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Oct 16

Yes they do, it's called rehab. I know quite a few alcoholics and heroin addicts (and chain smokers) that no longer have an addiction, because they stopped using (and they found Jesus to fill the vacuum that used to be filled by the drugs).
As usual, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
03 Oct 16

It depends on the alcoholic. Some people can control themselves better than others.
Self-control can be a learned skill, right? The aa program teaches otherwise.

btw, my habit of not capitalizing does not mean I'm talking about Hawaiian lava. lol@me

Cape Town

Moves
03 Oct 16
1 edit

Yes, but stating it that way can be misleading. Having a set of characteristic symptoms does not imply that there is a disease involved. If you have a stubbed toe, right, you have a set of characteristic symptoms but that does not indicate you have a disease.
That is because we classify that particular disease as 'injury' and typically do not call it a disease. But there is not a clear line between the two.

What does indicate a disease?
A set of characteristic symptoms.

I've offered this: infectious agent, or pathological biological process, or biologically degenerative condition.
So why doesn't stubbing your toe fit that? Surely it is a form of degenerative condition?

I don't know if that's complete or sufficient. I believe though that if you abuse a substance you chose to do so and your behavior should not be pinned on a disease.
Many many degenerative conditions are a direct result of behaviour, including substance abuse.

I am not 'pinning' alcoholism on a disease. Alcoholism is a disease.

What distinction are you seeing there?
AIDS is the disease. It is the symptoms. HIV is the disease causing agent. You can get HIV and not have AIDS.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
03 Oct 16

If someone claimed to be addicted to drinking and you held a gun to their head and told them either stop drinking or a take a bullet to the head, do you think they won't be able to choose not to drink and take the bullet?
I would like to see tw respond to this.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Oct 16

Self-control can be a learned skill, right? The aa program teaches otherwise.
You haven't contradicted my claim nor supported yours.
It is a fact that for some alcoholics, taking one drink is unwise.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
03 Oct 16

What does indicate a disease?
A set of characteristic symptoms.
Then a stubbed toe is a disease.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Oct 16

I would like to see tw respond to this.
I did.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
03 Oct 16
1 edit

This is not true. Addiction causes irreversible changes in the brain. A reformed addict may be able to resist his or her addiction, but the condition remains with them forever.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Oct 16

Then a stubbed toe is a disease.
You just can't stop repeating yourself can you? Is this another effort to get six terrible posts in a row?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
03 Oct 16

I've offered this: infectious agent, or pathological biological process, or biologically degenerative condition.
So why doesn't stubbing your toe fit that? Surely it is a form of degenerative condition?
I don't think so. Degenerative implies it gets worse, but a stubbed toe just naturally heals.