1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 06:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    My reason for not believing that your god figure created the universe is that the claim that you make that he did is implausible and unconvincing.
    Based upon what do you decide that it is implausible?
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 06:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nobody has convinced me that they know the origin of the universe.
    So the fact that you are not convinced automatically means that they don't know?
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 06:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is sophistry.
    Call it what you want. I call it as I see it.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 06:48
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    We are talking about my belief, right? ...and not about something I require you to believe. So, I don't find your claims credible. In fact, I believe that you don't know the origin of the universe but that you have settled upon and committed yourself to an explanation that you personally find plausible.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 06:49
    So the fact that you are not convinced automatically means that they don't know?
    Well, you asked me what I believe, right? So I have told you.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 10:08
    Would you say that you know how the universe came into being?
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 11:17
    If somebody claims to know something of such moment, the grounds for that knowledge should be considered. One's own personal feelings and pre-scientific scripture may be considered by some a reasonable basis for belief, but certainly no more than that.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 14:57
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    If somebody claims to know something of such moment, the grounds for that knowledge should be considered. One's own personal feelings and pre-scientific scripture may be considered by some a reasonable basis for belief, but certainly no more than that.
    One of the issues I have is when people claim no knowledge yet can proclaim in their ignorance, that they know somethings are just wrong about the start of the universe.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 15:12
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    One of the issues I have is when people claim no knowledge yet can proclaim in their ignorance, that they know somethings are just wrong about the start of the universe.
    It is quite reasonable to claim that one does not know how X happened, but to also claim to know it wasn't because of some Y. It's called ruling things out.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 15:56
    You mean like having no knowledge of the square root of 1945.623, yet having the audacity to rule out the answer of 7?
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 16:12
    Let me clarify for your the sake of your issue. I don't know that your god didn't create the universe. I do know that you don't know that he did.
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 16:19
    Let me clarify for your the sake of your issue. I don't know that your god didn't create the universe. I do know that you don't know that he did.
    How did you come about acquiring that knowledge?
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 16:21
    How did you come about acquiring that knowledge?
    Are you not reading the thread? I explained.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 16:50
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You mean like having no knowledge of the square root of 1945.623, yet having the audacity to rule out the answer of 7?
    We can figure out square roots, what can't be done is claim enough knowledge to rule out God with respect to the universe's beginning. Please share the theory you use that you believe is a more reasonable answer.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 16:52
    I agree with you it will be a matter of faith.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree