Did God Command Genocide in the Bible?

Did God Command Genocide in the Bible?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
Neither your opinion nor mine is of much consequence in the bigger scheme of things, on that we can agree I think. But if either of us ~ or anyone ~ states, claims or suggests things in a public arena like this forum, the inevitable outcome is going to be discussion and evaluation ~ judgements, in other words.
Your judgements are nothing but opinion to me. My ONLY judge is God.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
You apparently do not have anything to compare to my beliefs in any truly meaningful way. So your "judgement" is merely opinion. And that's not exactly going to make me lose any sleep at night.
Me not having a religion does not rule me out of commenting on the personal opinion and beliefs you happen to have due to your religion. The fact that I don't have a religion does not rule you out of pointing out problems with my morals. I have no desire to see you lose any sleep at night; I am simply responding to the things you are saying on a public message board.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
I am a non-Christian, Suzianne, and not an atheist.
This STILL doesn't answer my question.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Your judgements are nothing but opinion to me. My ONLY judge is God.
Yes, but only you and me are involved in this discussion between us about morality and genocide. Evaluating what we say to each other is what a message board is all about. If you endorse a genocide but decline to offer a coherent justification for it, then your moral compass is going to be judged whether or not you like it. If I come here and speak in favour of a given genocide in history, I would expect to be judged and I would welcome the opportunity to argue my corner.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

This STILL doesn't answer my question.
I believe "I am a non-Christian, Suzianne, and not an atheist" answers your question. If not, restate it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Nov 14
1 edit

Depends on the time and place. The Canaanites were a direct danger to God's chosen people. Over time, many of the Hebrews adopted some of the beliefs of the Canaanites and this turned the Hebrews away from God. And yes, that is a sin in the eyes of God. As He said many times in the Bible, committing a sin is one thing, but causing others to sin is much, much worse.
Why should it depend on the time and place? Surely God's righteousness doesn't change depending on geographic location?

I accept that turning away from God and/or worshiping other Gods is a sin, I'm not questioning that.

Edit: btw I believe that God is morally sound and righteous and I believe these things probably happened. I just don't understand it, like I don't understand the flood from that perspective.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
Yes, but only you and me are involved in this discussion between us about morality and genocide. Evaluating what we say to each other is what a message board is all about. If you endorse a genocide but decline to offer a coherent justification for it, then your moral compass is going to be judged whether or not you like it. If I come here and speak in favour of ...[text shortened]... in history, I would expect to be judged and I would welcome the opportunity to argue my corner.
You are locked into your judgement by your definitions.

I do NOT "endorse" genocide.

Therefore I do not need to "justify" any genocide.

Genocide is an act of man, not God. God cannot commit genocide, no. God carries out His Judgement, which is always righteous. God does not abide sin. Why do you think there are no prophets any more? God cannot abide sin, and can therefore not interact with man or this world any longer. This is another reason He has sent His Son to us. To deal with us and our sin in ways God the Father cannot.

By the way, I'm judged by people in this forum every day, simply because I believe in God. Of course I've come to expect it. That doesn't mean it especially bothers me.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Genocide is an act of man, not God. God cannot commit genocide, no. God carries out His Judgement, which is always righteous.
Where is genocide defined as an "act of man"? Genocide is "the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group". The question is did your God figure seek the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group? Answer: yes. And adding your circular logic does not add any force to your claim that the desired deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group is somehow not genocide.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

By the way, I'm judged by people in this forum every day, simply because I believe in God. Of course I've come to expect it. That doesn't mean it especially bothers me.
I am sure I am judged by people in this forum every day too and often it is probably because I am not a Christian. It does not bother me at all. You say it doesn't bother you either and yet you have mentioned it over and over again.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by divegeester
Why should it depend on the time and place? Surely God's righteousness doesn't change depending on geographic location?

I accept that turning away from God and/or worshiping other Gods is a sin, I'm not questioning that.

Edit: btw I believe that God is morally sound and righteous and I believe these things probably happened. I just don't understand it, like I don't understand the flood from that perspective.
If you believe in God, then you must believe in evil.

God has always tried to protect man from evil. But because of free will, He's not always successful. Sometimes His actions need to get a little bigger. Evil will always lose, and we really shouldn't cry over evil receiving His proper Judgement.

When I said it depends on the time and place, what I mean is that there has to be a need for Him to step in. Early on in our history, there were many opportunities to fight evil and stop its spread. Thus the attempted wiping out of the Canaanites and later the Amaleks. Not so much now, because evil is rife on this planet, it's everywhere.

You've heard it said As in the days of Noah, so shall the coming of the Son of man be. The world is so taken over by evil that it needs another purge, like in the days of Noah, in fact it's fairly overdue. But God established a covenant with Noah, symbolized by the rainbow, that He would never use Water to punish man again. This is why many think next time will be Fire. The time is right for the Apocalypse.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
Where is genocide defined as an "act of man"? Genocide is "the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group". The question is did your God figure seek the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group? Answer: yes. And adding your circular logic does not add any force to your claim that the des ...[text shortened]... te and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group is somehow not genocide.
You're dancing all around the core issue here, and the reason is that you do not believe in God. Because whatever god you believe in, especially one that is capable of sin, is not my God. And this makes you incapable of judging my God.

Call it what you want. It doesn't make you right.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
I am sure I am judged by people in this forum every day too and often it is probably because I am not a Christian. It does not bother me at all. You say it doesn't bother you either and yet you have mentioned it over and over again.
Yeah, that's hysterical how you say I mention this "over and over again" every time I mention it, which isn't really that often.

Spin it how you want. It doesn't make you right.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

You're dancing all around the core issue here, and the reason is that you do not believe in God. Because whatever god you believe in, especially one that is capable of sin, is not my God. And this makes you incapable of judging my God.

Call it what you want. It doesn't make you right.
I am not dancing around anything. "Sin" is your notion, not mine. I am not a Christian.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Yeah, that's hysterical how you say I mention this "over and over again" every time I mention it, which isn't really that often.
If it doesn't bother you perhaps you shouldn't make it seem like it does.

Did your God figure appear to the Canaanites and warn them of the planned genocide?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
I am not dancing around anything. "Sin" is your notion, not mine. I am not a Christian.
You say you aren't dancing, then you dance.

Many people across the world believe in God without being a Christian.

Just saying you aren't a Christian doesn't say you believe in God.

Now you're the one saying something over and over, without answering the question, btw. We GET that you're not a Christian. This doesn't tell us if or how you believe in God. Again, I submit that if sin is not in your worldview, then you don't believe in my God. And I say again, yes, this MAKES you an atheist.