Did God Command Genocide in the Bible?

Did God Command Genocide in the Bible?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
If it doesn't bother you perhaps you shouldn't make it seem like it does.

Did your God figure appear to the Canaanites and warn them of the planned genocide?
It only seems like it to YOU, because then you can spin it and make it into a big deal.

And now you ask a remarkably stupid question about my God. Again, it appears you don't believe in my God if you ask a question such as this. Unless of course, you plan on producing more spin. So go ahead, drop the other shoe.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
You say you aren't dancing, then you dance.

Many people across the world believe in God without being a Christian.

Just saying you aren't a Christian doesn't say you believe in God.

Now you're the one saying something over and over, without answering the question, btw. We GET that you're not a Christian. This doesn't tell us if or how you believe ...[text shortened]... r worldview, then you don't believe in my God. And I say again, yes, this MAKES you an atheist.
"Sin" is a tenet of religion and the existence of "sin" is a notion resulting from your belief that God has revealed Himself to you and communicated inatructions to you, and this and other stuff is codified in your Christian religion. I am not a Christian. Nor am I an atheist.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14
1 edit

And now you ask a remarkably stupid question about my God. Again, it appears you don't believe in my God if you ask a question such as this. Unless of course, you plan on producing more spin. So go ahead, drop the other shoe.
I asked you "Did your God figure appear to the Canaanites and warn them of the planned genocide?" If He did not, and the Canaanites were unaware of the Hebrew God and the Hebrew scripture, how could they possibly perceive of their God as being "false", and if this is so, how on earth could genocide be a just punishment? Were the Canaanites given the opportunity to convert to Judaism and thus be spared?

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Now you're the one saying something over and over, without answering the question, btw.
Why don't you tell me which question it is that I have not answered?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
"Sin" is a tenet of religion and the existence of "sin" is a notion resulting from your belief that God has revealed Himself to you and communicated inatructions to you, and this and other stuff is codified in your Christian religion. I am not a Christian. Nor am I an atheist.
But you do not believe in God.

And you keep avoiding this.

And yes, not believing in God DOES make you an atheist.

Being Christian actually has nothing to do with it. YOU are the one saying "over and over" that you are not a Christian. I say, BIG DEAL. You also do not believe in God. Plenty of people believe in my God, even though they are not Christian. You are not one of them.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

But you do not believe in God.
I do not believe in your God figure.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
I asked you[b] "Did your God figure appear to the Canaanites and warn them of the planned genocide?" If He did not, and the Canaanites were unaware of the Hebrew God and the Hebrew scripture, how could they possibly perceive of their God as being "false", and if this is so, how on earth could genocide be a just punishment? Were the Canaanites given the opportunity to convert to Judaism and thus be spared?[/b]
Only God could know this, q.e.d.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

If your God figure did not communicate with the Canaanites then how were they given any opportunity to convert to Judaism and thus be spared being slaughtered? And if they weren't, then how could it possibly be "moral" or "just" to kill them all ~ men, women and children ~ for their "false gods"? Did your God want the Canaanites to worship Him instead of the "false gods", or not?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
I do not believe in your God figure.
Then you do not believe in God.

I imagine that if you did, then you wouldn't constantly refer to Him as my "God figure". My God is the God of Abraham, the God of the Bible, the God of the Hebrews, and the only true God. If you do not believe in Him, then yes, you are an atheist.

Whoever your god is, he is not God. Okay, so we've established that much.

Let me ask you. Does your god even have a name? By what fruits shall we know him? I must say, you're not exactly the best spokesperson for this god. I mean, it seems like he doesn't even exist.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Let me ask you. Does your god even have a name? By what fruits shall we know him? I must say, you're not exactly the best spokesperson for this god. I mean, it seems like he doesn't even exist.
I don't claim to be a spokesman and never have.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Then you do not believe in God..
Well I don't believe in your Christian God figure, if that's what you mean. But I have been open and clear about this for years. I am not a Christian, Suzianne.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
If your God figure did not communicate with the Canaanites then how were they given any opportunity to convert to Judaism and thus be spared being slaughtered? And if they weren't, then how could it possibly be "moral" or "just" to kill them all ~ men, women and children ~ for their "false gods"? Did your God want the Canaanites to worship Him instead of the "false gods", or not?
Can you not understand the written word? I have answered all these questions. Just because it's not what you want to hear, it doesn't mean you're magically right.

Only God knows the hearts of men. Why would he need to "warn" them or even "communicate" with them at all? God cannot abide evil. Why didn't He send angels? How do you know He didn't?

Now, I'll say it again, maybe you could read it more slowly this time to let it sink in.

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

My God is the God of Abraham, the God of the Bible, the God of the Hebrews, and the only true God. If you do not believe in Him, then yes, you are an atheist.
I think there are many religious and non-religious people who are theists and believe in God ~ but not the Muslim/Jewish/Christian one ~ who cannot in all seriousness be described as "atheists".

F

Moves
09 Nov 14

Why would [God] need to "warn" [the Canaanites] or even "communicate" with them at all?
How else could the Canaanites know about the "God of Abraham" if He didn't?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Nov 14

No.
There's some 'Bizarro-Justice' for you.