1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 16:48
    As an example, taken at random from the internet, the following brief is from Christianity.com

What is Grace? Bible Meaning and Importance.

Grace is the opposite of karma, which is all about getting what you deserve. Grace is getting what you don’t deserve.

“Grace” is one of the most important concepts in the Bible, Christianity, and the world. It is most clearly expressed in the promises of God revealed in Scripture and embodied in Jesus Christ.

Grace is the love of God shown to the unlovely, the peace of God given to the restless, the unmerited favor of God.

Definition of Grace.

In Christian terms, grace can be defined as “God’s favor toward the unworthy” or “God’s benevolence on the undeserving.” In His grace, God is willing to forgive us and bless us, even though we fall short of living righteously.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the questions to be asked here for those who take Grace seriously, is this. How much is God willing to forgive us for acts which are not considered righteous?

As an example, would Boy George have need of Grace? And, hypothetically, would he get it, if he asked for it?

YouTube
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 17:31
    @pettytalk said
    As an example, taken at random from the internet, the following brief is from Christianity.com

Grace is the opposite of karma, which is all about getting what you deserve. Grace is getting what you don’t deserve.

“Grace” is one of the most important concepts in the Bible, Christianity, and the world. It is most clea ...[text shortened]... pothetically, would he get it, if he asked for it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw
    I once had a colleague who ate all the biscuits in the staff room, leaving none for anybody else. Later that afternoon we had a team meeting and I gave everybody a small pastry. (A bit stale as I recall).

I did not omit the colleague who had eaten all the biscuits who freely enjoyed one of the pastries.

The pasty he ate was given in grace. A free gift that was undeserved and not earned.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 19:59
    @pettytalk said

“Grace” is one of the most important concepts in the Bible, Christianity, and the world. It is most clea ...[text shortened]... pothetically, would he get it, if he asked for it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

(in Christian belief) the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 00:20
    @mchill said

(in Christian belief) the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.
    Is it free though, or is there something the recipient has to do?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 00:24
    @pettytalk said
    How much is God willing to forgive us for acts which are not considered righteous?
    God’s grace is limitless.
  6. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 00:49
    @divegeester said
    God’s grace is limitless.
    We'll certainly put God's grace to the test when you and your twin come up for parole.
  7. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 00:49
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I once had a colleague who ate all the biscuits in the staff room, leaving none for anybody else. Later that afternoon we had a team meeting and I gave everybody a small pastry. (A bit stale as I recall).

I did not omit the colleague who had eaten all the biscuits who freely enjoyed one of the pastries.

The pasty he ate was given in grace. A free gift that was undeserved and not earned.
    Stale grace!
  8. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 00:59
    @mchill said

OK, you seem to agree with Christianity.com on what is grace. But
    can you name some of the sins committed by the sinners being saved by grace?

And was God's grace always available to mankind, or is it something that became available only recently?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 01:53
    @pettytalk said
    We'll certainly put God's grace to the test when you and your twin come up for parole.
    Oh dear …

I didn’t realise grinding your gears was a sin.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 08:28
    @pettytalk said
    Stale grace!
    It's the best kind.

Everyone gets a free stale pastry. We only have to eat it.
  11. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Feb '24 14:15
    @divegeester said
    Is it free though, or is there something the recipient has to do?
    It is free, there is no way to obtain God's grace through our good works.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '24 17:39
    @mchill said
    Or without them.
  13. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    16 Feb '24 19:16
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It's the best kind.

Everyone gets a free stale pastry. We only have to eat it.
    When we are starving, even stale food will still satisfy the pangs of hunger. I accepted your graceful offer, and the digestion process is well underway.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '24 19:22
    @pettytalk said
    When we are starving, even stale food will still satisfy the pangs of hunger. I accepted your graceful offer, and the digestion process is well underway.
    That will be £3.50 please.
  15. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    16 Feb '24 19:45
    @mchill said
    That much was clear. We are seeking opinions on how much bad works will grace still be free? The type of bad works, and how many?

Initially, I asked if Boy George, a self-declared homosexual, would need free grace, and whether he would receive it if, hypothetically, he asked for it? Is grace contingent on the type of sin and the number of times an act of sin is performed?

And when we say it's free, is it free for the asking, or do we receive it even if we don't ask for it? Is grace limited to Christianity and declared Christians, or is it independent of religion? Can and will an atheist be eligible for grace?

These are some of the questions for which opinions are being solicited on this thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree