1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Apr '17 16:59
    Other things to watch out for

1.) Reading the Bible FOR someone else. I mean reading thinking "Now this is what so-and-so needs to read."

Too much of this is not too good.

2.) Picking up curiosities. "Oh this is neat. It says that they pissed against the wall".

Beware of too much picking up little curiosities as novelties.

3.) Only going to your favorite parts of the Bible.

If one book is really warned down but others seem not nearly touched, these may indicate you are too much under the control of your preferences. To get a steady diet of all the spiritual vitamins you really need, read through sequentially of books you might not normally read.

IE. I make myself to read through books not of my top favorite Bible books. At least some equal time should be given to them.

4.) Reading with no intention of letting God touch you - speak to you.

Some people study the Bible to find God.
    But some people go to study the Bible to get away from God.

Don't read the Bible with a heart to look for reasons to distance yourself from God or prove to yourself God does not exist.

I have not said much about this yet, but the Bible can also "kill" you if you come to it with a wrong heart. Paul said "the letter kills but the Spirit gives life."

" [God] Who has made us sufficient as ministers of a new covenant, ministers not of the letter but of the Spirit;

for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." (2 Cor. 3:6)

You should not be spiritually "killed" by the letter of either the Old or New Testament. It is best to come to the Holy Bible (either part) with an expectation that an invisible Person is behind the scenes ready to bless you with spiritual life and well-being.

I come to the Bible and simultaneously I come to this Person invisible behind the black and white letters of this book. God is near. God is ready to speak and to bless me. I am willing to hear from this Person. I do not come with contempt for the Divine. I come with openness to the Divine, even willingness to touch and "taste" the Person of God behind this book.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '17 19:37
    Is anyone reading this stuff?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 10:19
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is he offending you by not talking about you?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 10:352 edits
    Sorry I changed my mind on this post. This is not the thread for it.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 10:49
    If anyone is they dont want to come out and say so.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 10:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Is he offending you by not talking about you?
    Not at all. Are you reading all his posts in this thread?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 10:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Sorry I changed my mind on this post. This is not the thread for it.
    Apology accepted 🙂
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 16:23
    Not at all. Are you reading all his posts in this thread?
    I'm trying to, around all of the naysayers.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Apr '17 14:49
    Good ways to read the Bible in a group or by twos.

We take a chapter. I read a verse. You read the next verse. We alternate.
    Or two or more people can read the chapter around in a circle. Each one reads a verse by turns.

Another way it for one to read a verse and the other to "echo" or read the same verse.
    Then two or more people can follow the one reading first. Then they read the same verse in an echoing way.

Taking turns to take the lead is also good in this kind of "public" reading.

Paul exhorted Timothy to attend to the pubic reading of the Scriptures that they had at that time.

" Until I come, attend to the public reading, to the exhortations, to the teaching." (1 Tim. 4:13)

After reading around or repeat reading or echo reading, after the chapter has been digested, there can be fellowship. Each person can then speak what exhortation or enjoyment in teaching they derived from that portion of Scripture.

All may learn and all may be encouraged.
    Gradually the readers and speakers learn to discern the Holy Spirit more.

When Joshua was jealous that others were in the Israelite camp prophesying beside Moses, Moses had a surprising response. He said that he wished God would put His Spirit on the whole congregation and that they ALL would similarly prophesy.

" And a certain young man ran and told Moses and said, Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.

And Joshua the son of Nun, the attendant of Moses, one of his chosen men, answered and said, My lord Moses, restrain them!

But Moses said to him, Are you jealous for my sake? Oh that all Jehovah's people were prophets, that Jehovah would put His Spirit upon them ! (Numbers 11:27-29)

God wants ALL His people to read and speak with the Holy Spirit His oracles.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Apr '17 16:28
    Good reading sonship. I have used a one year bible app for years now.
    I also use commentaries and bible concordances when I wish to better understand certain passages.
    Currently I am using the M'Cheyne one year which is a mixture of old and new testament, 4 chapters daily. It has worked well for me the last few years.
    I also would suggest bible culture.
    "7 Reasons to Study the Cultural Backgrounds of the Bible"

http://blog.olivetree.com/2017/04/24/7-reasons-study-cultural-backgrounds-bible/

Understanding the culture has helped me immensely and getting a feel for the mindset at the time.
    Also bible maps help quite a bit. Understanding distance to major cities, time to walk, sail to destinations. Some even speak of what these cities were like.
    Apologies if you plan on getting to these later in your post.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 02:161 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I also use commentaries and bible concordances when I wish to better understand certain passages.
    Currently I am using the M'Cheyne one year which is a mixture of old and new testament, 4 chapters daily. It has worked well for me the last few years.
    I also would suggest bible cultur ...[text shortened]... k of what these cities were like.
    Typological studies are interesting and helpful.

The Bible in original is without chapter divisions. One day I would like to see what it is like to read through the Bible without the delineations of chapters that were arranged for it.

Glad the app you use is helpful.
    I recommend that we always come to the word of God to touch God.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 13:07
    Originally posted by sonship
    Typological studies are interesting and helpful.

The Bible in original is without chapter divisions. One day I would like to see what it is like to read through the Bible without the delineations of chapters that were arranged for it.

Glad the app you use is helpful.
    I recommend that we always come to the word of God to touch God.
    The Bible in original is without chapter divisions.

Also without punctuation. Uncials were something like this... FORGODSOLOVEDTHEWORLDTHATHEGAVE

No spaces, no punctuation, no spaces between words. 2 Timothy 2:15 I believe is speaking of "rightly dividing" or "right cutting". Rightly separating words.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 16:52
    [b]The Bible in original is without chapter divisions.

Also without punctuation. Uncials were something like this... FORGODSOLOVEDTHEWORLDTHATHEGAVE

No spaces, no punctuation, no spaces between words. 2 Timothy 2:15 I believe is speaking of "rightly dividing" or "right cutting". Rightly separating words.[/b]
    I don't think that that is what Paul meant about rightly dividing the word.
    He did not say rightly dividing the words [plural].
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 16:561 edit
    The Recovery Version on 2 Tim. 2:15 -

" Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed workman, cutting straight the word of the truth."

I think it would be too superficial that Paul meant to be able to cut the words from gibberish into separate words in order to be approved to God.

Do you see what I mean?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 17:03
    I also would suggest bible cultur ...[text shortened]... k of what these cities were like.
    I've started listening to it as well as reading it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree