1. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    10 May '16 11:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Because the doctrine of the trinity is error, you using it as a cornerstone throughout your blog undermines any truth that may be contained within it.
    Why is it an error, do you believe there exist a godhead. The bible clearly teaches that there is a father, son and Holy Ghost, Jesus even commanded that when you baptize, do it...

In Jesus words...

“And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."”
    ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:18-20‬ ‭ESV‬‬
    http://bible.com/59/mat.28.18-20.esv
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 May '16 11:484 edits
    Because the doctrine of the trinity is error, you using it as a cornerstone throughout your blog undermines any truth that may be contained within it.
    Is the Father called God ? Yes or No?
    Is the Son called God ? Yes of No?
    Is the Holy Spirit called God ? Yes or No?

If you affirm as you should that all three are called God in the Bible then like it or not, the teaching of God as a trinity is not in error.

Now let's confirm. Of course many places say that the Father is God. Just one will suffice:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ ..." (Eph. 1:3)

God is Father. One down - two to go.

Is the Son called God ? Yes.

" But of the Son, 'Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, ...' " (Hebrews 1:8a)

The Son is God. Two down - one to go.

Is the Holy Spirit called God ? Yes.

" But Peter said, Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to deceive the Holy Spirit ... You have not lied to men but to God." (See Acts 5:3,4)

Three down -
    The Father = God.
    The Son of God = God.
    The Holy Spirit of God = God.

"Trinity" is a suitable and adequate non-biblical expression to accurately express what the Bible teaches.

Divegeester is the one in error.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '16 12:172 edits
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Why is it an error, do you believe there exist a godhead. The bible clearly teaches that there is a father, son and Holy Ghost, Jesus even commanded that when you baptize, do it...

In Jesus words...

“And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit...
    Do you think the disciples misunderstood Jesus or that they simply disobeyed him?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '16 12:211 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Is the Father called God ? Yes or No?
    Is the Son called God ? Yes of No?
    Is the Holy Spirit called God ? Yes or No?

If you affirm as you should that all three are called God in the Bible then like it or not, the teaching of God as a trinity is not in error.

Now let's confirm. Of course many places say that the Father is God. Just one wil ...[text shortened]... cal expression to accurately express what the Bible teaches.

Divegeester is the one in error.
    "Hear oh Israel, the Lord your god is ONE" appears many times in scripture.

"Hear oh Israel, the lord your God is three, doesn't appear once. A bit odd that don't you think?

Nor do the words "triune" or "trinity" in fact, ZERO times.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '16 12:251 edit
    "Trinity" is a suitable and adequate non-biblical expression to accurately express what the Bible teaches.[/b]
    "Hear oh Israel, [that means 'listen sonship'], the Lord your God is ONE".

I'm afraid "trinity" doesn't even get close.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    10 May '16 12:39
    Go you think the disciples misunderstood Jesus or they simply disobeyed him?
    I think there is a lot of unnecessary confusion regarding the trinity, godhead, (father, son and holy ghost) and whatever other descriptors there are out there to describe God, ultimately I believe it is a mystery of whose depths are far beyond what our minds are capable of understanding in their current state.

An analogy that I like to use (a lame one at that) is that I or You can be...
    1) A father
    2) A son
    3) A brother
    4) A uncle
    5) A cousin

Anyways, you get the point. Each of these characteristics are unique in their own way and are different, mainly the relationship.

Another is H2O, it is...
    1) ice
    2) water
    3) steam

All with different properties all the same, they are one. Just as God is one.

I am not bothered by whether I fully understand God and who he is, because I don't. I also believe that a lack in fully understanding God is not something that affects one's salvation.

To answer your question, I do believe the disciples followed Jesus commands, of course. But I am not going down the road of Jesus only doctrine and UPC teaching. God is much larger than our understanding and to limit who he is in such ways is putting him in a box... Just in case that is where you were headed.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '16 13:08
    To answer your question, I do believe the disciples followed Jesus commands, of course.
    So how did they follow his command to baptise in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit - what did they do right through the entire NT in every single recorded incident of baptism?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 May '16 13:102 edits
    So how did they follow his command to baptise in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit - what did they do right through the entire NT in every single recorded incident of baptism?
    They baptized them into the Triune God - the Father - Son - and Spirit.

They just didn't SAY what you expected them to SAY every time.

You know, sometimes we are experts at missing the point.
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    10 May '16 13:17
    The issue in discussion is not baptisim, but rather their exists a Godhead, a trinity and you believing it is an error. I have asked the question and you are yet to answer it...

Why is it an error?

It is not my belief that this changes whether you are a Christian or not (in my mind anyways it doesn't), I am interested in your view.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '16 13:18
    They baptized them into the Triune God - the Father - Son - and Spirit.

They just didn't SAY what you expected them to SAY every time.

You know, sometimes we are experts at missing the point.
    Jesus said "baptise them in the name (singular) of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit"
    They NEVER ONCE did that. They always baptised in the name of Jesus.
    In fact Peter said "be baptised every one of you, in the name of the Lord, Jesus Christ"

One name, singular. The name of the Father, and the name of the son and the name of the holy spirit = Jesus - God saves. This is the "name given among men" by which we are saved. There is ONE god revealing himself fully in bodily form.

It is so blatant. How can you not see it - or refuse to see it?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '16 13:20
    The issue in discussion is not baptisim, but rather their exists a Godhead, a trinity and you believing it is an error. I have asked the question and you are yet to answer it...

Why is it an error?

It is not my belief that this changes whether you are a Christian or not (in my mind anyways it doesn't), I am interested in your view.
    You are avoiding my question. You brought up the scripture in Matthew as all Trinitarians do. Did the disciples make a mistake or were they disobedient? According to your interpretation of that scripture there is no other choice.
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    10 May '16 13:372 edits
    You are avoiding my question. You brought up the scripture in Matthew as all Trinitarians do. Did the disciples make a mistake or were they disobedient? According to your interpretation of that scripture there is no other choice.
    I am not avoiding anything, I already answered your question, and I get second one back... you still have not answered my question.

Funny thing is, you sometimes chase people all over hells half acres to get them to answer your questions. One last time...

Why is it an error?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '16 14:05

Why is it an error?
    See my post to sonship a couple above - sorry i thought you were following all the topic posts.

Have you explained how the disciples were not either disobedient or on error according to your interpretation of the scripture in Matt 28? I may have missed it - if so where please?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 May '16 14:13

In Jesus words...

“And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing ...[text shortened]... ys, to the end of the age."”
    ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:18-20‬ ‭ESV‬‬
    http://bible.com/59/mat.28.18-20.esv
    “has been given to me.” This is one of the many verses that make it clear that Jesus Christ is not God. If Christ were really God, and co-equal and co-eternal with the Father as the Trinitarians teach, then it is illogical to say Christ was given authority. God, by definition, has authority.

Jesus is a man, the last Adam, and the authority he now has is delegated and derived, and is not a function of his “divine nature.” The wording of these scriptures is, in actuality, a refutation of the Trinity. Jesus is that man to whom God gave “all authority.” In contrast to Christ, there is no verse anywhere that says “God” was given authority. God has all authority, and delegates it to others. Although there are some Trinitarians who teach that Jesus divested himself of his authority when he was incarnated as a human, this verse is after Jesus’ resurrection, and all Trinitarians affirm Jesus had his full position as God after he was raised from the dead.

http://www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/Matthew/28
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    10 May '16 14:20
    See my post to sonship a couple above - sorry i thought you were following all the topic posts.

Have you explained how the disciples were not either disobedient or on error according to your interpretation of the scripture in Matt 28? I may have missed it - if so where please?
    I answered your question a few posts up with ...

"To answer your question, I do believe the disciples followed Jesus commands, of course. But I am not going down the road of Jesus only doctrine and UPC teaching. God is much larger than our understanding and to limit who he is in such ways is putting him in a box."

I will say it again, I do believe the disciples followed Jesus commands. I also know that they used the phrase "In Jesus name" when they baptized new believers. However I have a hard time seeing the relevance between this and that all throughout the bible it speaks of the 'Father" and the "Son" and the "Holy Spirit". Do we agree on this?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree