1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 15:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Who knows. Maybe that's exactly what the Abrahamic God wanted.
    According to Christ his kingdom is not of this world.

According to Mo it is.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 15:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You mean the Abrahamic person who manufactured these religions.
    Why do you suppose that these Abrahamic religions are about the only game in town?

What is their appeal do you reckon?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 15:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    According to Christ his kingdom is not of this world.

According to Mo it is.
    Reiterating the fact that there are differences between the two religions does not actually tackle the idea in the post you were replying to and is just a bit of preaching-to-the-choir, instead.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 16:241 edit
    Why do you suppose that these Abrahamic religions are about the only game in town?

What is their appeal do you reckon?
    Er, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, they are not games in town also? Last I heard they counted for more than a billion followers.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904108.html

The top ten in terms of followers.
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 19:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    But I am confident that my beliefs are true. If you mean to say that you are confident that your beliefs are "true" and mine are not, I am fine with that, As I have said umpteen times before, your confidence, sincerity, certainty [and repetitiveness] have no bearing on what I find credible and what I find not credible.
    Upon what is your confidence based? If for example other people find something convincing and you don't, upon what is your confidence based that your beliefs are true and there's are false? Is it solely based upon the fact that you happen not to find something convincing that other people do? Or is there more to it?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 19:471 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Reiterating the fact that there are differences between the two religions does not actually tackle the idea in the post you were replying to and is just a bit of preaching-to-the-choir, instead.
    My only point here is, when man assumes the role of God, as a king, then heads role and evil is rampant.

Any religion not able to grasp that fails.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 19:48
    Er, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, they are not games in town also? Last I heard they counted for more than a billion followers.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904108.html

The top ten in terms of followers.
    Are the far eastern religions really that diverse world wide?

I don't think so.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 20:011 edit
    Are the far eastern religions really that diverse world wide?

I don't think so.
    Did you actually read the list? Or you did read the list and you think it is lying?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 20:06
    Did you actually read the list?
    You can't go by numbers. The far east has the majority of the world population.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 20:41
    People in this forum generally live in the West which has been greatly influenced by Christianity. We in the West have also had dealing with Islam, mostly being attacked and having countries and parts of countries taken by force.

Judaism we have in the West do to the connection of Christianity and the fact that Jews were driven from their homeland and resettled in the West. The far East have had little impact on the West in war or culture through the centuries.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 21:32
    You can't go by numbers. The far east has the majority of the world population.
    You really like to shoot yourself in the foot.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 23:02
    You really like to shoot yourself in the foot.
    I think he was joking. I thought it was funny.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 23:42
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Upon what is your confidence based? If for example other people find something convincing and you don't, upon what is your confidence based that your beliefs are true and there's are false? Is it solely based upon the fact that you happen not to find something convincing that other people do? Or is there more to it?
    My confidence in what I believe is based on the degree of credibility of those things, and the lack of credibility of alternatives. For example if you find what you believe to be very convincing and what I believe to be unconvincing, you'd likely feel confident that you were right and I was wrong.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 00:15
    My only point here is, when man assumes the role of God, as a king, then heads role and evil is rampant.

Any religion not able to grasp that fails.
    Reiterating your preference for the notions you happen to have a preference for my well be your "only point here", but it doesn't still address the idea put to you in the post of mine that started this exchange. Whether you personally think a religion 'succeeds' or 'fails' is neither here nor there, except in so far as it indicates which religion you like and which religion you don't like.
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 16:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    But I am confident that my beliefs are true. If you mean to say that you are confident that your beliefs are "true" and mine are not, I am fine with that, As I have said umpteen times before, your confidence, sincerity, certainty [and repetitiveness] have no bearing on what I find credible and what I find not credible.
    Is your confidence based on evidence or a lack of evidence?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree