Questions on morality

Questions on morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Which somehow entails no weighing up of evidence, no application of logic, and no choice whatsoever on your part, just a magical 'realization' that your beliefs have changed due to your experiences and observations. 🙄
I explained my position before. I have suggested nothing "magical" whatsoever. Go back and look at those threads again if you've forgotten and if your interest is genuine.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
Another option is the one - based on my personal experience and my observation of human nature in action over many decades - that I have explained to you many, many times, across multiple threads, over a period of months.
So in essence your personal experience and your observations force you to believe things and you have no choice or control over what you end up believing.

If we are essentially forced to believe things and cannot choose to believe anything, then it is irrelevant whether that which we believe in is true or false. We believe because were forced to believe, not because we weigh the evidence, apply logic, and choose to believe something. Is that correct?

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

So in essence your personal experience and your observations force you to believe things and you have no choice or control over what you end up believing.

If we are essentially forced to believe things and cannot choose to believe anything, then it is irrelevant whether that which we believe in is true or false. We believe because were forced to beli ...[text shortened]... t because we weigh the evidence, apply logic, and choose to believe something. Is that correct?
If you have somehow forgotten all the posts I addressed to you regarding the process of losing my Christian faith, and what I learned about human nature [when it comes to supernatural matters] from it, then you can go look at the threads where it was discussed in detail, particularly the Barriers to belief thread. Whether your amnesia is feigned - which I think it is - or whether you never did absorb or understand what I explained, either way, the stuff is still there if you want to take a look.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
If you have somehow forgotten all the posts I addressed to you regarding the process of losing my Christian faith, and what I learned about human nature [when it comes to supernatural matters] from it, then you can go look at the threads where it was discussed in detail, particularly the Barriers to belief thread. Whether your amnesia is feigned - which I think ...[text shortened]... or understand what I explained, either way, the stuff is still there if you want to take a look.
Either your personal experience and observation of human nature enable you to choose your beliefs or they 'force' your beliefs on you. I can't see any other option.

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

Either your personal experience and observation of human nature enable you to choose your beliefs or they 'force' your beliefs on you. I can't see any other option.
Yes. You already said that. You said that you can't see any option other than the one you agree with and the stupid sounding one you set up in your false dilemma. You said that before. You're just repeating yourself. Read my last few posts. Do you understand them?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
Yes. You already said that. You said that you can't see any option other than the one you agree with and the stupid sounding one you set up in your false dilemma. You said that before. You're just repeating yourself. Read my last few posts. Do you understand them?
Why do you think it is a false dilemma?

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

Why do you think it is a false dilemma?
Well if you take the definition of "false dilemma", and assume that's what I mean by it, then, if you bear in mind all the things I have said on this topic in hundreds of posts, you will be able to figure out why I think it is a false dilemma. If you can't figure it out, I really don't care. And unless you've got something new you want to talk about, please talk to someone else.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Well if you take the definition of "false dilemma", and assume that's what I mean by it, then, if you bear in mind all the things I have said on this topic in hundreds of posts, you will be able to figure out why I think it is a false dilemma. If you can't figure it out, I really don't care. And unless you've got something new you want to talk about, please talk to someone else.
If you feel that belief is neither chosen or forced, would you care to explain how it is you believe something when you cannot choose to believe it and when you aren't forced to believe it?

You said before that you cannot choose to believe something that you don't find compelling. I agree but I do feel you can choose to believe something that you do find compelling. How else would you end up believing it against your will? The only other way is if you are compelled or forced to believe it against your will.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
20 Feb 17

I choose if I want coffee or tea. I don't choose if I want to believe in God.

That is the bottom line. Indeed, belief in God would be quite meaningless if I could simply choose to believe in Him despite being unconvinced of His existence.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I choose if I want coffee or tea. I don't choose if I want to believe in God.

That is the bottom line. Indeed, belief in God would be quite meaningless if I could simply choose to believe in Him despite being unconvinced of His existence.
So you cannot weigh up evidence and apply logic to reach a decision on whether something is convincing or not?

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

If you feel that belief is neither chosen or forced, would you care to explain how it is you believe something when you cannot choose to believe it and when you aren't forced to believe it?

You said before that you cannot choose to believe something that you don't find compelling. I agree but I do feel you can choose to believe something that you do f ...[text shortened]... your will? The only other way is if you are compelled or forced to believe it against your will.
You already know what my viewpoint is. You're just repeating yourself. You don't need to.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Feb 17

It's all good unless that stand is Christianity, right?
What do you bring to the table.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
You already know what my viewpoint is. You're just repeating yourself. You don't need to.
Your viewpoint doesn't make sense. If it did you would easily answer my questions and wouldn't keep on dodging them.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by apathist
What do you bring to the table.
The bread of life.

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

Your viewpoint doesn't make sense. If it did you would easily answer my questions and wouldn't keep on dodging them.
I know that you think my viewpoint doesn't make sense. You've said so over and over and over again.