Questions on morality

Questions on morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
18 Feb 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Have you decided whether it is only true that Jesus died for you or for everyone?
Everyone. Always believed that.

F

Moves
18 Feb 17

If it is possible for truth about natural things to apply to all people, why do you think it is impossible for truths about supernatural things to apply to all people?
I don’t believe the things you do about supernatural things and it makes no difference to me how many times you keep asking me variations of 'what if Fetchmyjunk is right and FMF is wrong?'; it's not as interesting or as telling a question as you seem to think it is.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
Everyone. Always believed that.
So why do you not believe "Jesus died for everyone" is a universal truth?

Moves
18 Feb 17

So do you believe "Jesus died for everyone" is a universal truth?
It's the truth.

What is a "universal truth"?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Feb 17
1 edit

It's the truth.

What is a "universal truth"?
Does 'the truth' apply only to you or to everyone? A universal truth is a truth that applies to everyone.

Moves
18 Feb 17

Does 'the truth' apply only to you or to everyone? A universal truth is a truth that applies to everyone.
If the statement "Jesus died for everyone" is the truth, why does it need the prefix "universal" applied to it?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Feb 17

If the statement "Jesus died for everyone" is the truth, why does it need the prefix "universal" applied to it?
I doesn't, but some people believe in relative truth as opposed to absolute truth. So I use the word 'universal' or 'absolute' to qualify which use I'm referring to.

Moves
18 Feb 17

I doesn't, but some people believe in relative truth as opposed to absolute truth. So I use the word 'universal' or 'absolute' to qualify which use I'm referring to.
So you agree that the prefix is pointless in the case of Jesus dying for everyone?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Feb 17
2 edits

So you agree that the prefix is pointless in the case of Jesus dying for everyone?
The word 'universal' clarifies that he died for everyone even those who don't believe that it is true. Because some people who believe in relative truth believe that truth only applies to the people who believe it to be true as opposed to universal truth. They still use only the word 'truth', So clearly the word 'truth' means something different to a relativist and a universalist.

Moves
18 Feb 17

The wor"d 'universal' clarifies that he died for everyone even those who don't believe that it is true.
No, it's unneeded. The word "everyone" clarifies exactly that. You are overcomplicatimg a simple premise. "Christ died for everyone" is the truth. The word universal is superfluous. Your ideas are superfluous.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Feb 17
4 edits

Originally posted by FMF
[1] Of course. [2] No of course not. Two pretty daft questions, sonship. What are you on about? If you don't understand how (or don't agree that) religious beliefs are a function of things like upbringing, experience and environment, then say so.
[1] Of course.

I agree.

[2] No of course not.

I agree here too.

Two pretty daft questions, sonship.

Thanks for simple answers to the pretty daft questions.

What are you on about? If you don't understand how (or don't agree that) religious beliefs are a function of things like upbringing, experience and environment, then say so.

I understand that many time religious beliefs like Atheism or Humanism are a result of things like upbringing, experience and environment.

I count "religious belief" to be indicated often when someone says " I don't care what you say, I am going to be what I am what I am! "

Usually this kind of devotion comes after the facade of intellectual curiosity and question asking is exposed for just that.

In the end just naked will power to be what one is, what one is, is the religious devotion I notice. That is according to that portion of the definition of religion which would indicate -

" faithful, devoted, committed
"a religious person"

Definition of religious humanism

: a modern American movement composed chiefly of nontheistic humanists and humanist churches and dedicated to achieving the ethical goals of religion without beliefs and rites resting upon supernaturalism

I see you as a kind of free-lance religious anti-theist Humanist.

F

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by sonship
I understand that many time religious beliefs like Atheism or Humanism are a result of things like upbringing, experience and environment.

I count "religious belief" to be indicated often when someone says " I don't care what you say, I am going to be what I am what I am! "
I am using the word "religious" to pertain to belief in and worship of a supernatural power or creator; so I am not interested in your sophistry and disingenuous use of synonyms.

If you don't understand how (or don't agree that) religious beliefs are a function of things like upbringing, experience and environment, then say so. Just trying to spam me with waffling different-topic avoidance-text, as usual, doesn't work on me, as you know.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
19 Feb 17
1 edit

No, it's unneeded. The word "everyone" clarifies exactly that. You are overcomplicatimg a simple premise. "Christ died for everyone" is the truth. The word universal is superfluous. Your ideas are superfluous.
If you agree that 'the truth' by nature is universal then we are agreed.

You may think the use is superfluous because you already agree that truth is universal. Not everyone does.FMF for example doesn't.

Moves
19 Feb 17
3 edits

If you agree that 'the truth' by nature is universal then we are agreed.

You may think the use is superfluous because you already agree that truth is universal. Not everyone does.FMF for example doesn't.
I don't accept your construct of "universal" truth. Jesus died for everyone, I believe that's the truth. FMF doesn't believe that is the truth, so what? Putting the word "universal" in front of the word "truth" doesn't make a truth any more "truth" than it was without it.

Jesus said "I am the way the truth and the life". He didn't say "I am the universal way, the universal truth and the universal life" did he. I think you are a bit obsessed, to say the least. You have alienated yourself from every poster in this forum to the point where even the moderates deride you, and yet here you are continuing with your crusade. I honestly think there is something a wrong with you.

F

Moves
19 Feb 17

Your use of the word "universal" attached to your personal beliefs and opinions is, indeed, superfluous ~ it adds nothing to the claims and hopes you hold so dearly, nothing at all ~ while you arguing about the word "universal" with a fellow Christian who shares your personal beliefs and opinions about Jesus is decidedly peculiar.