Russia: Witnesses a terrorist group

Russia: Witnesses a terrorist group

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
06 Apr 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Actually the thread is about Russian government and Jehovah's Witnesses facing a ban.
What should be done about it?

rc

Moves
06 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
What should be done about it?
What should be done about it is being done about it. Legally challenging the case.

F

Moves
06 Apr 17

What should be done about it is being done about it. Legally challenging the case.
What should be done about it if that doesn't work?

rc

Moves
06 Apr 17
4 edits

Originally posted by FMF
What should be done about it if that doesn't work?
We shall find a way to carry on. You know the thing. Covert meetings in the woods aka 'picnics'. Typewriters hidden in secret basements. Literature smuggled in inside coffee crates.

F

Moves
06 Apr 17

We shall find a way to carry on. You know the thing. Covert meetings in the woodsaka 'picnics'. Typewriters hidden in secret basements. Literature smuggled in in coffee crates.
So no solidarity or collective action with other persecuted groups in Russia?

F

Moves
06 Apr 17
1 edit

We shall find a way to carry on. You know the thing. Covert meetings in the woods aka 'picnics'. Typewriters hidden in secret basements. Literature smuggled in inside coffee crates.
Would you hope that non-JWs would be complicit with you in breaking the relevant laws if that was necessary to protect you and prevent you from being discovered and prosecuted?

rc

Moves
06 Apr 17

Originally posted by FMF
So no solidarity or collective action with other persecuted groups in Russia?
Not that I am aware of.

rc

Moves
06 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Would you hope that non-JWs would be complicit with you in breaking the relevant laws if that was necessary to protect you and prevent you from being discovered and prosecuted?
It depends. I would prefer that we did not need to supersede the law of the land to comply with Gods laws but sometimes we have no choice if we want to live our lives according to our understanding of the Bible. At least its not a capital offense to be a Christian as it was around the second and third centuries.

Moves
06 Apr 17

It depends. I would prefer that we did not need to supersede the law of the land to comply with Gods laws but sometimes we have no choice if we want to live our lives according to our understanding of the Bible. At least its not a capital offense to be a Christian as it was around the second and third centuries.
That is precisely the threat you are making - answering to an authority you regard as being above the state; one that commands you to do that. You represent unruliness; unpredictability.

rc

Moves
06 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
That is precisely the threat you are making - answering to an authority you regard as being above the state; one that commands you to do that. You represent unruliness; unpredictability.
Not unruliness nor unpredictability. Our tenets are well known and understood. We do represent a portion of the populace that will deny absolute government control though - which they are naturally unhappy about. But its no reason to outlaw us or make us criminals.

Moves
06 Apr 17

Not unruliness nor unpredictability. Our tenets are well known and understood. We do represent a portion of the populace that will deny absolute government control though - which they are naturally unhappy about. But its no reason to outlaw us or make us criminals.
You are unruly wrt the state's rules where they conflict with yours, say, military conscription, but I do suppose you are predictable. The predictions trouble them.

rc

Moves
06 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
You are unruly wrt the state's rules where they conflict with yours, say, military conscription, but I do suppose you are predictable. The predictions trouble them.
But they know the story, we been through it with the Nazis and Stalin. They know, No conscription. No military service. Sorry we don't do war.

F

Moves
07 Apr 17

FMF: So no solidarity or collective action with other persecuted groups in Russia?

Not that I am aware of.
Correct me if I am wrong, but judging by statements you have made on this thread, it appears that the only human rights you are willing to support or struggle for are your own. And if this is so, does it stem from your interpretation of John 18:36 ?

Moves
07 Apr 17
1 edit

But they know the story, we been through it with the Nazis and Stalin. They know, No conscription. No military service. Sorry we don't do war.
"...we don't do war."

I wonder if your ability to thrive as a religion is directly proportional to the willingness of the people of the country you are in to fight, to the point of war, for freedom of religion. In other words if you are as a religion, an economic "free rider" having your freedom of religion defended for you by others.

I expect that you have a satisfactory answer. I would like to hear it. Three of the most cherished and lovable people in my life are Witnesses, although they are distanced from me by their faith. Or my lack of it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
07 Apr 17

At least its not a capital offense to be a Christian as it was around the second and third centuries.
Why is it when you want it be unique you call yourselves Jehovah's Witnesses and when you want hide behind homogeneity you cal yourself a christian?