Spirituality FAQ

Spirituality FAQ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
These two lack the pretense of neutrality that is necessary in a FAQ. As such, a re-write is required.

[b]Q: Why should I be an atheist? What does atheism offer me?

A: Atheism offers you nothing. It's a lack of belief in god(s). Nothing more, nothing less. If you want goodies or gifts, atheism is not going to get it for you. The bottom line is th ...[text shortened]... something like new evidence, or re-thinking your existing reasoning, to change your belief.[/b][/b]
Q: Why would you choose to be an atheist?
A: You can't choose to believe or to not believe. At best you consider the available evidence and decide on that basis whether or not it is likely that god(s) exist(s).

Once you have made your evaluation, you cannot simply choose to think otherwise (try it). You need something like new evidence, or re-thinking your existing reasoning, to change your belief.
Make up your mind. First, you say one cannot choose to believe or disbelieve, and yet you go on to offer advice how one should do exactly that. Your advice consists of "considering the available evidence". Well, faith is in the "believing", and not in what you can plainly see with your eyes. You would limit those who would believe to what they can be shown, instead of the "evidence of things not seen."

You try to support a "pretense of neutrality", but that's all it is, a pretense.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
14 Jan 14

Seems we could save a lot of time by putting a FAQ together for new forum visitors (and some of the old ones who need reminders).

[b]Q: Why are so many atheists here? They don't even believe in Jesus!

A: First, this is not a Christianity forum; it's a Spirituality forum. There are many other religions besides Christianity.

Q: ...[text shortened]... incredibly boring.

I'm sure some theists would love to add some questions for the skeptics...
Let me have a whack at it...

Q: Why are the curiously high number of atheists here disproportionately aiming their vitriol at Christianity? This isn't a Christianity forum!
A: Good point, new comer. If you stay here long enough (most new comers recall a time lapse of anywhere from 30 seconds to as long as 30 minutes), you will begin to see a pattern of what's known as "extreme ax grinding."
This is usually attributed to revenge motivated bitterness, but in a few minor cases, it's a result of intentional ignorance.
NOTE: These can be difficult to distinguish, so in the name of good form, it's best to not throw labels around.

Q: If, if all the atheists are here for spirituality, why do they never initiate conversations outside of shots at Christianity?
A: Never say never, new comer!
Every blue moon, you might see topics which not only have nothing to do with the evils of Christianity, but ones which are actually started by atheists.
Be advised, however, these are exceedingly rare occurrences, and one ought not set one's watch by the same.

Q: But I come here to both hear and engage in lively give-and-take, in robust debate yet I am only finding condescending, snide remarks about reading comprehension and lack of intellectual sophistication!
A: The good debater knows debate is not to be employed, so keep practicing debating until you come to the same conclusion... and then debate on, new comer! Debate on!

Q: What of hive-mindedness? What of about the universality of the lowest common denominator? Can I not find the succor of conformity here?
Great.
Freaking.
Question, new comer.
Great freaking question!
By now, you've probably noticed two thumbs in the upper right corner of each post, one thumb directed up and the other pointing down.
By simply hovering your mouse over either one and then clicking on the hyperlink, you can put your own bumper sticker of solidarity on each and every post--- just make sure you follow your friend's lead, though: you certainly don't want to think for yourself in these parts, partner!
Remember to stay in line!

Am I doing it right, guyz?

d

Moves
14 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
I've always liked you, Freaky.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Jan 14

lol, I know, right?

If you want neutrality, you actually have to be, you know, neutral. A FAQ is not the place for a manifesto. From either side. This seems to be escaping everyone so far.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
14 Jan 14

Originally posted by darvlay
I've always liked you, Freaky.
[wistfully]
I just wish you weren't so far away...

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
14 Jan 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
lol, I know, right?

If you want neutrality, you actually have to be, you know, neutral. A FAQ is not the place for a manifesto. From either side. This seems to be escaping everyone so far.
The only thing escaping me is last night's sausage and orzo pasta.
Smelled better going in...

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Jan 14
1 edit

The only thing escaping me is last night's sausage and orzo pasta.
Smelled better going in...
Yikes. I'm going to assume heavy on the garlic, yes? And italian sausage, of course. 🙂

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
14 Jan 14

Yikes. I'm going to assume heavy on the garlic, yes? And italian sausage, of course. 🙂
It had just a touch-too-much cayenne pepper--- yes, on the Italian sausage--- with some spinach, peppers and what not. Showed some restraint on the garlic and it was still
w o n d e r f u l.

Until today, of course!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
14 Jan 14
1 edit

[quote][b]Q: Why would you choose to be an atheist?
A: You can't choose to believe or to not believe. At best you consider the available evidence and decide on that basis whether or not it is likely that god(s) exist(s).

Once you have made your evaluation, you cannot simply choose to think otherwise (try it). You need something like new evidence, or ...[text shortened]... s not seen."

You try to support a "pretense of neutrality", but that's all it is, a pretense.[/b]
You can choose to search for evidence, or have experiences, or talk to people, etc. - all these are indirect ways of steering your own beliefs. However, you can't just decide "Oh, I'm just not going to believe that anymore." You can tell others that; you can tell yourself that, but you'll be lying.

And no, I wouldn't limit evidence. Go to 'things not seen' if you think it helps. I just use the word 'evidence' to keep it short and sweet. Add intuition, experiences, etc. - these also influence belief.

Edit: BTW, the 'pretense of neutrality' thing was a bit of a jab at the idea that people (including me) can write things perfectly neutrally. Usually, there is only a pretense at best.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
14 Jan 14

Let me have a whack at it...

[b]Q: Why are the curiously high number of atheists here disproportionately aiming their vitriol at Christianity? This isn't a Christianity forum!

A: Good point, new comer. If you stay here long enough (most new comers recall a time lapse of anywhere from 30 seconds to as long as 30 minutes), you will begin to see a pa ...[text shortened]... for yourself in these parts, partner!
Remember to stay in line!

Am I doing it right, guyz?[/b]
You're supposed to be slightly less emotional than a dumped girl on the rag when you write a FAQ. It's supposed to sound semi-professional. 😛

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
14 Jan 14

lol, I know, right?

Well, I really wanted a theist to add some answers for atheists, but so far no one has come up with anything close to the tone required for a FAQ.

Oh, and BTW, the 'neutrality' thingy is a jab at the idea that people (including me) can write a perfectly objective FAQ, or wiki entry, or whatever.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Jan 14

You're supposed to be slightly less emotional than a dumped girl on the rag when you write a FAQ. It's supposed to sound semi-professional. 😛
No ice cream was consumed in the manufacturing of this FAQ.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Soothfast
My answer: That place is called a church, and this isn't a church.
Yes, but we (read: Russ) wants to keep them and their subscription $$$ on RHP.

P

Moves
15 Jan 14

Seems we could save a lot of time by putting a FAQ together for new forum visitors (and some of the old ones who need reminders).

A: First, this is not a Christianity forum; it's a Spirituality forum. There are many other religions besides Christianity.

this is a really great post. The spirituality forum is open to all.

Moves
15 Jan 14

Q: Does being an atheist mean you believe there is no god (no theos) or does it mean you simply happen to lack belief there is at least one god?