Spirituality FAQ

Spirituality FAQ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by JS357
Q: Does being an atheist mean you believe there is no god (no theos) or does it mean you simply happen to lack belief there is at least one god?
The answer changes from one atheist to another, so this is not a good FAQ question.

Ro

Moves
15 Jan 14
3 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Seems we could save a lot of time by putting a FAQ together for new forum visitors (and some of the old ones who need reminders).

[b]Q: Why are so many atheists here? They don't even believe in Jesus!

A: First, this is not a Christianity forum; it's a Spirituality forum. There are many other religions besides Christianity.

Q: ...[text shortened]... incredibly boring.

I'm sure some theists would love to add some questions for the skeptics...
Excellent idea.

Q Why do atheists deny the existence of God?

Not all atheists deny the existence of God. The term can be used to identify people who simply lack a belief in God.

Q What's the point of life if you don't believe in God? Doesn't everything become meaningless?

Some atheists would argue that life does not necessarily have to have a point. Life is just a fact, and we make of it what we will.

Others would argue that many of the things that theists value most about life (family, friends, RHP) are the same as for atheists. If it were proven that God did not exist, this would not stop (former) theists valuing these things.

Q If we didn't believe in God, wouldn't we all go around stealing, murdering, raping each other?

There are millions of the atheists in the world who do not do these things.

Q Where does morality come from if there is no God?

Through reason and debate. Some developed societies are becoming predominantly atheist and this does not suspend discussion about what is morally right and wrong.

Q Why are atheists all so good looking?

TBA

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Rank outsider
Excellent idea.

[b]Q Why do atheists deny the existence of God?

Not all atheists deny the existence of God. The term can be used to identify people who simply lack a belief in God.

Q What's the point of life if you don't believe in God? Doesn't everything become meaningless?

Some atheists would argue that life does not necessar ...[text shortened]... about what is morally right and wrong.

Q Why are atheists all so good looking?

TBA[/b]
Q Where does morality come from if there is no God?

Through reason and debate. Some developed societies are becoming predominantly atheist and this does not suspend discussion about what is morally right and wrong.

A great follow up to this would be something along the lines of:
Q: If there is no God, how is it that morality is needed at all?
A: ...

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Jan 14
1 edit

..Q Why are atheists all so good looking?
Easy one. Worldly [atheists] is naturally superficial and will always look better on the outside. Spiritual [Godliness] is from the inside and this cannot be seen by looking at the physical.

But the fact that you mention 'looks', tells that there is a kind of shallowness about your personality.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Rajk999
Easy one. Worldly [atheists] is naturally superficial and will always look better on the outside. Spiritual [Godliness] is from the inside and this cannot be seen by looking at the physical.

But the fact that you mention 'looks', tells that there is a kind of shallowness about your personality.
It was a joke, man, even I can see that.

Ro

Moves
15 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b]Q Where does morality come from if there is no God?

A great follow up to this would be something along the lines of:
A: ...[/b]

A: Most human beings, whether theist or not, recognise the benefits that come from maximising human happiness and minimising human suffering. This might be as a result of a natural empathy towards our fellow beings or out of mutual self-interest. Establishing agreed standards of behaviour which help to achieve these ends (morality) is accepted as being for the common good and necessary for the smooth operation of society. This is true whether or not a God exists.

Ro

Moves
15 Jan 14
1 edit

Q: What do atheists believe about [INSERT ANYTHING OTHER THAN ISSUES RELATING TO THE EXISTENCE OF GOD]?

A: There is no answer to this question. Other than a lack of belief in God, atheists as a group share nothing in common simply by virtue of being atheists.

Other than being good looking, of course, Rajk999

Moves
15 Jan 14

[b]Q: If there is no God, how is it that morality is needed at all?

A: Most human beings, whether theist or not, recognise the benefits that come from maximising human happiness and minimising human suffering. This might be as a result of a natural empathy towards our fellow beings or out of mutual self-interest. Establishing agreed standards ...[text shortened]... od and necessary for the smooth operation of society. This is true whether or not a God exists.[/b]
Good answer. Should definitely be in the FAQ.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Jan 14

[b]Q: If there is no God, how is it that morality is needed at all?

A: Most human beings, whether theist or not, recognise the benefits that come from maximising human happiness and minimising human suffering. This might be as a result of a natural empathy towards our fellow beings or out of mutual self-interest. Establishing agreed standards ...[text shortened]... od and necessary for the smooth operation of society. This is true whether or not a God exists.[/b]
Nice additions.

Theists: See, this is how it's done.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
It was a joke, man, even I can see that.
I normally dont bother responding to you but I will do it for the sake of others who might read it.

There is a little truth in every joke, otherwise people would not see the humour. I am aware he was joking. What you are not aware of, is that the statement has been made by other atheists as a way of laughing at the religious. So I dealt with the statement as if it were meant to be serious [which I knew was said in jest], because it does have a serious side regardless of the intention of the writer.

Christians can and should shy away from excessively worldly things. Their lifestyle should not try to emulate the rich and famous [and shallow and vain] of the Hollywood types, but the life of Christ and the Apostles.

Things of this world are enmity with God. Tell me if you need references.

Moves
15 Jan 14

Q - is the poster 'rjhinds' a real christian or an atheist operative trying to make christians look stupid?

A - although its hard to believe anybody really is that stupid, the current forum consensus leans towards rj being real person.

Q - are the abs in poster 'suzianne's' profile picture real?

A - sorry to burst your bubble junior, you've just taken the blue pill and gone down the rabbit hole. the abs are not real and are actually gerrard butlers prosthetics used during the filming of '300'. the fake plastic abs are indeed meant as a metaphor for the duality and false nature of the christian mind. rj was always the decoy, suzianne is in fact the true atheist operative. its all so obvious when you look at the evidence.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Q: Why do some self proclaimed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?

A:

Note: Timely initiative, SwissGambit; wouldn't be surprised if this thread is still on page one December 31, 2014.[/b]
Q: Why do some self proclaimed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?

A: Though it's impossible to gauge or guess another human beings status or motivations, chances are the agitation reflects an uncertainty and insecurity over the decision taken to dismiss/reject the possibility of an omnipotent and eternal god. Atheists understandably doubt the wisdom of the choice they've made; Christopher Eric Hitchens' honesty is compelling:

"Even Richard Dawkins a man whose name has become synonymous with atheism says he puts a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being absolute certain there is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't, and he says even he's a 6.9. Because no one knows for sure what's out there." -Maher Thread 157452 (Page 1)

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Q: Why do some self proclaimed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?

A: Though it's impossible to gauge or guess another human beings status or motivations, chances are the agitation reflects an uncertainty and insecurity over the decision taken to dismiss/reject the possibility of a ...[text shortened]... .9. Because no one knows for sure what's out there." -Maher Thread 157452 (Page 1)[/b]
Sigh. The idea of the FAQ is to come up with a standard response resource that answers
basic questions TO WHICH YOU ACTUALLY KNOW THE ANSWER.

Which means that atheists come up with responses to questions WE get asked,
and theists of various stripes come up with answers to questions THEY get asked.

It doesn't mean coming up with you manspalining... or should that be 'theistplaining'
guess at what atheists motivations are.

Your answer is wrong in every aspect, and is insulting to boot.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by Rajk999
I normally dont bother responding to you but I will do it for the sake of others who might read it.

There is a little truth in every joke, otherwise people would not see the humour. I am aware he was joking. What you are not aware of, is that the statement has been made by other atheists as a way of laughing at the religious. So I dealt with the statemen ...[text shortened]... t and the Apostles.

Things of this world are enmity with God. Tell me if you need references.
No, thanks, I can and do read the Bible just fine. Maybe I'd put a little more thought into your statement if you'd apply it to yourself, but I see you're having trouble removing the mote from your brother's eye because of the beam in your own.

Many things are enmity with God. But we seldom think the things *we* do are part of that. That doesn't make you any worse than most people. I just have a problem with hypocrisy.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 14

Originally posted by googlefudge
Sigh. The idea of the FAQ is to come up with a standard response resource that answers
basic questions TO WHICH YOU ACTUALLY KNOW THE ANSWER.

Which means that atheists come up with responses to questions WE get asked,
and theists of various stripes come up with answers to questions THEY get asked.

It doesn't mean coming up with you manspalining ...[text shortened]... t atheists motivations are.

Your answer is wrong in every aspect, and is insulting to boot.
Ditto the suggestions maligning the theist viewpoint as a 'fantasy world'.