1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    Most Christians I know, and most Christians I have met, do not believe the world is soon going to end, and have an optimistic outlook and perception of "the way the world is turning", hence my question about pessimism that I pose to Christians that I perceive as being imbued with negativity, cynicism and defeatism.
    And finally you circumnavigate back to my point. Your perception is skewed by your need to present Christians in the most unflattering light possible.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    When it comes to their outlook on how much longer the world as we know it will continue to exist and what is the state of the human condition, I don't think Christians can be viewed "as a group". That's my whole point. Hence my question to pessimistic Christians who predict or even welcome the imminent end of the word: 'Do your religious beliefs fuel your pessim ...[text shortened]... sm?' On a Spirituality Forum, on a thread like this called "The future..." it's an apt question.
    And my answer is that there is no "pessimism" and presenting it as such is purely misrepresentation.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Another point I want to stress. I was only speaking about those of us alive today. Not the human race as a whole.
    I was speaking about a church who is fully aware of the "falling away" you were speaking about earlier.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:42
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why, have you seen the future?
    no. only parts of it .

to clarify I have seen many things that will NOT come to pass
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:44
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Ipswich town you say, hmmm I always liked their badge.
    oh god there's another Ipswich .. i should've known.
    I really hope it's not a 'hole' like the one west of Brisbane:s
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And my answer is that there is no "pessimism" and presenting it as such is purely misrepresentation.
    No, I am not somehow 'misrepresenting' my perception of people who constantly decry the state of the world and talk about how they welcome it being brought to some kind of supernaturally triggered "end". I see it as "pessimism". You are free to disagree, of course, but my point of view is an honest one and clearly expressed, and not a misrepresentation at all.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:551 edit
    Why, have you seen the future?
    people are smarter than u seem to give them credit for. that's y the future is harder to predict than ever before.
    brexit and trump being 2 examples of completely unpredicted results. Well maybe not totally unpredicted but certainly widely unexpected - at least in this part of the world.

Perhaps, and more than perhaps, almost certainly the Australian media and public are very naive
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:57
    Again, can you please provide the links to the "research" you are referring to?
    Whoever thumbed this down has no idea what the thumb down button is for 😛
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 02:59
    Your perception is skewed by your need to present Christians in the most unflattering light possible.
    I have met countless, countless Christians - on three different continents - who are positive, optimistic, proactive, not defeatist at all. I rather think it is Christians who have everything-is-hopeless, thank-goodness-for-doomsday, bring-on-the-end-times' mind maps who present themselves in "the most unflattering light possible". They wear their pessimism on their sleeves regardless of what I say or do.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:07
    Actually, one week before it happened I predicted that there would be a blackout in a "green friendly" state, (in this case South Australia) and the government (The Prime Minister no less) would blame it on renewable energies.
    For a day or 3 there was a "whodunnit" hunt by the media for who was actually responsible. Of course no one was found and the culprit got away 'into the bushes of ambiguity' .
    It was proven that renewables were not resposible for the blackout , per se, but in this post truth world this did not matter. The Prime Minister jumped on it to score political points and anyone with any sense could see it for the farce that it was.

For a country with the highest prospect for renewable energy (wind , sun , hydro* ,etc.) , who should be leading the way in this field, all the politicians are doing is playing point scoring to win the nest election.
    Short term policies instead of mid to long term solutions. It's sad.
    The science is there. The money is there, but so are the powerful oil and frecking lobbies 😛
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:081 edit
    FMF: The definition of the word "pessimism" corresponds exactly to the meaning I am trying to convey.

Who cares? That doesn't even tangentially resemble my point.
    Yes, it addresses your point head on. You said "If you wish to label it "pessimism" in order to make you feel better, then even though it might work and you feel better, you're still wrong. Words have definitions that are not wholly malleable depending on one's "perception". That was your point. I am saying that I am using the word correctly and aptly in order to explain my point of view.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:13
    FMF: You're barking up the wrong tree, Suzianne. I am specifically not lumping pessimistic Christians in with optimistic Christians. That's the whole point.

It also has nothing to do with what I said.
    It has absolutely everything to do with what you said. Which was this: "And for you to lump Christians in with those who are not trying to make a better world in the face of what we know is coming is ridiculous and self-serving."

I am not lumping different kinds of Christians in together. I am commenting on those Christians who are pessimistic and fatalistic, and, at its very core, deliver a message that is misanthropic and negative about mankind, for whom.they exhibit very little "love".
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have met countless, countless Christians - on three different continents - who are positive, optimistic, proactive, not defeatist at all. I rather think it is Christians who have everything-is-hopeless, thank-goodness-for-doomsday, bring-on-the-end-times' mind maps who present themselves in "the most unflattering light possible". They wear their pessimism on their sleeves regardless of what I say or do.
    I'm definitely not optimistic about the future condition of the world, but this is not due to me being a Christian.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:59
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Whoever thumbed this down has no idea what the thumb down button is for 😛
    Suzianne thumbs down pretty much all my posts, I think she has an app for it 🙂
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 04:26
    I'm definitely not optimistic about the future condition of the world, but this is not due to me being a Christian.
    You live in 4th World Britain where the public domain is forever sniffing the fumes of bad-news-sells courtesy of the 24-hour parabolic/tabloid cycle. I live in a large developing country with a fledgling democracy that's thrown off its West-sponsored dictatorship and things are, for the most part, on the up and up. Suffocating tyrannies across vast swathes of the world have been rolled back in just the last twenty years or so, but, sure, the world is not without its challenges, injustices and dangers. I meet plenty of Christians where I live who are part of the up and up efforts. Their mind set is a far cry from the 'I hope the world ends in my lifetime' type Christians like galveston75, Suzianne and roigam.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree