1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 18:121 edit
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    I think doubt is a much more worthwhile human attribute than blind, unquestioning faith.
    Perhaps but there are even more debilitating consequences of losing ones faith.

God promises to forgive us on the basis of the ransom. If, though, we became obsessed with guilt over our past mistakes, we could begin to doubt whether Jehovah has really “blotted out” all our sins. (Acts 3:19)

Imagine that being overcome and burdened with guilt to such an extent that we have super low self esteem?

Do I struggle to forgive personal offenses? When others offend or hurt us, we could focus on how we feel and then be tempted to tell them off or to cut them off by not speaking to them. On the other hand, if we forgive, we show our faith in Jehovah. How so? Those who sin against us owe us a debt, just as our sins put us in debt to God. (Luke 11:4) When we forgive others, we have to trust that gaining God’s favor by doing so is worth more than making them pay back their debt. Jesus’ disciples recognized that forgiving others requires faith. When he told them to forgive even those who had sinned against them repeatedly, they begged: “Give us more faith.”—Luke 17:1-5.

Q. How do we demonstrate faith in Jehovah when we forgive others?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 18:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

God promises to forgive us on the basis of the ransom. If, though, we became obsessed with guilt over our past mistakes, we could begin to doubt whether Jehovah has really “blotted out” all our sins. (Acts 3:19)

Imagine that being overcome and burdened with guilt to ...[text shortened]... s more faith.”—Luke 17:1-5.

Good thread .. although we do not agree with every detail and e may part company later on .. 🙂

An interesting point is the idea that salvation/eternal life is given and guaranteed at one point in time when someone expresses this FAITH, and it cannot be revoked.

What is your opinion on this and how does it relate to your illustration of Peter.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 18:522 edits
    Todays Bible study is a truly awesome article entitled, 'Stand firm in the Faith' and it will be my pleasure as your host to study it with you. The format is we read a paragraph together, we look up the scriptural references and then I ask one or two questions. Ready, lets begin.

THE apostle Peter and some other disciples are struggling to row th ...[text shortened]... storm on the Sea of Galilee? (b) Why did Peter start to sink?

Please post your answers below.
    I thought Michael rowed the boat ashore.

Those darned JW doctrines. 😠

Michael row the boat ashore, Hallelujah

Sister help to trim the sails, Hallelujah

Jordan's river is deep and wide, Hallelujah
    And I've got a home on the other side, Hallelujah

Michael's boat is a music boat, Hallelujah
    Michael's boat is a music boat, Hallelujah

The trumpets sound the jubilee, Hallelujah
    The trumpets sound for you and me, Hallelujah

Read more: Peter, Paul & Mary - Michael Row The Boat Ashore Lyrics | MetroLyrics
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:051 edit

Imagine that being overcome and burdened with guilt to ...[text shortened]... s more faith.”—Luke 17:1-5.

' Jesus’ disciples recognized that forgiving others requires faith.'

Perhaps forgiving others is 'easier' with faith, but i don't think it 'requires' it. Not wishing to go into details, but i have forgiven some pretty major things in my life,especially during my childhood, and did so 'without' faith.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:151 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Good thread .. although we do not agree with every detail and e may part company later on .. 🙂

An interesting point is the idea that salvation/eternal life is given and guaranteed at one point in time when someone expresses this FAITH, and it cannot be revoked.

What is your opinion on this and how does it relate to your illustration of Peter.
    This thread is really about the practicalities of faith, how doubt can lead us into all kinds of ways of thinking that might be detrimental for our spiritual health. I do not buy into the once saved always saved idea, its nonsense as far as I can tell and I recall it traces its roots back to Calvinism where he professed belief in predestination.

Peters actions while not directly related demonstrate that when we doubt or demonstrate a lack of faith we can lose focus. By focusing on Jesus he was helped to regain his balance.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    I thought Michael rowed the boat ashore.

Those darned JW doctrines. 😠

Jordan's river is deep and wide, Hallelujah
    And I've got a home on the other side, Hallelujah

Michael ...[text shortened]... Hallelujah

Read more: Peter, Paul & Mary - Michael Row The Boat Ashore Lyrics | MetroLyrics
    Suck up the goodness into your mind my son, we will learn many precious lessons from the scriptures with regard to our faith.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:204 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    ' Jesus’ disciples recognized that forgiving others requires faith.'

Perhaps forgiving others is 'easier' with faith, but i do think it 'requires' it. Not wishing to go into details, but i have forgiven some pretty major things in my life,especially during my childhood, and did so 'without' faith.
    Yes in the context of forgiving people it may require faith especially if they have done some very dreadful things otherwise we may harbour resentment and that resentment will eat up up. Jesus disciples lived in an epoch that was focused on exacting justice, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth The concept of forgiveness may have been alien to them and thus it required their faith. That you did not need it is fine but the context is somewhat different.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:221 edit
    Do I chafe at Scriptural counsel? Instead of looking for a way to benefit from the counsel, we might be focusing on some defect in the counsel or in the counselor. (Prov. 19:20) We might thus miss an opportunity to bring our thinking into line with God’s.

Q. Why might we fail to benefit from Scriptural counsel?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:28
    Suck up the goodness into your mind my son, we will learn many precious lessons from the scriptures with regard to our faith.
    Heretic!

Questioning the theological varcity of Peter, Paul, and Mary will be you downfall! 😠
  10. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:31

Not being religious, I don't really see the connection between forgiveness and faith. From my own experience, I think forgiving someone for something that they don't acknowledge can be more damaging than just getting on with your life without her. 😛
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:49
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Not being religious, I don't really see the connection between forgiveness and faith. From my own experience, I think forgiving someone for something that they don't acknowledge can be more damaging than just getting on with your life without her. 😛
    Sure, people who are religious may be overcome with a deep sense of guilt if they feel that they have offended god in some way. I can understand why it may be difficult for a non believer to understand though.

forgiving someone for something that they do not acknowledge, hmmm. Forgiveness is simply letting go of resentment, is it not?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 19:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    Heretic!

Questioning the theological varcity of Peter, Paul, and Mary will be you downfall! 😠
    let the healing begin! 😛

When Peter looked at the storm and started to sink, he could have tried to make it back to the boat on his own. He was an able swimmer, so this might even have been his natural response. (John 21:7) Yet, instead of relying on himself, he refocused on Jesus and accepted Jesus’ help. If we sense that our faith is weakening, we should imitate Peter’s example. But how can we do that?

Just as Peter refocused on Jesus, we too must “look intently at the Chief Agent and Perfecter of our faith, Jesus.” (Read Hebrews 12:2, 3.) Of course, we cannot literally see Jesus as Peter did. Instead, we “look intently” at Jesus by examining his teachings and actions and then following these closely. Consider some steps we can take based on the model Jesus set. If we put these into practice, we will receive the help we need to make our faith firm.

(a) What did Peter do when he started to sink? (b) We cannot actually see Jesus, so how can we “look intently” at him?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 20:09
    Sure, people who are religious may be overcome with a deep sense of guilt if they feel that they have offended god in some way. I can understand why it may be difficult for a non believer to understand though.

forgiving someone for something that they do not acknowledge, hmmm. Forgiveness is simply letting go of resentment, is it not?
    I resent that.

But i forgive you.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 20:302 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I resent that.

But i forgive you.
    Good, your faith has made you well.😵
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 20:321 edit
    Strengthen your confidence in the Bible. Jesus was convinced that the Bible is God’s Word, which provides the best guidance in life. (John 17:17) Following Jesus’ example, we must read the Bible daily, study it, and meditate on what we learn. Along with general Bible study, dig into topics about which you may have questions. Develop your confidence in the practical value of the Bible by considering examples of how the Bible improves people’s lives. —1 Thess. 2:13.

How can we study the Bible in a way that builds our faith?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree