1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 19:54
    Introduction: "Welcome to this thread for those interested in Biblical texts. Whether you're a Christian or not, this is a space to explore and discuss various passages, concepts, parables, and allegories. We aim to delve into the possible intent and core meaning behind these texts, and perhaps uncover new perspectives.

We'll kick off with Luke 18:18-27 from the New King James Version. Let's discuss the passage, which covers several topics:

1. Eternal life vs. Salvation. Is eternal life equivalent to Salvation?
    2. Jesus' objection to being called 'Good.'
    3. The connection between knowing and following the commandments for inheriting eternal life.
    4. Sufficiency of following the commandments from youth onward for inheriting eternal life.
    5. The concept of having treasures in heaven in exchange for all earthly possessions.
    6. The extent of earthly riches that would typically prevent someone from inheriting eternal life.
    7. The sufficiency of meeting conditions 4, 5, and 6 for eternal life.
    8. The meaning of following Jesus and its impact on conditions 4, 5, and 6, if not followed.

Please share your thoughts and opinions, and let's see if we can unearth something new together!"
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 21:05
    @pettytalk said
    Introduction: "Welcome to this thread for those interested in Biblical texts. Whether you're a Christian or not, this is a space to explore and discuss various passages, concepts, parables, and allegories. We aim to delve into the possible intent and core meaning behind these texts, and perhaps uncover new perspectives.

We'll kick off with Luke 18:18-27 from the New King ...[text shortened]...

Please share your thoughts and opinions, and let's see if we can unearth something new together!"
    Jesus made a clear effort to differentiate himself from God. That really should have been the end of the matter. Only God was good. He was not God.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 21:14
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Jesus made a clear effort to differentiate himself from God. That really should have been the end of the matter. Only God was good. He was not God.
    Its likely to be the same story with many doctrines, and in this thread might be no exception. People like to go about interpreting the bible, forming opinions and making conclusions on the biblical text, even when these conclusions are the complete opposite to what Jesus said.
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 23:04
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    There are many interpretations of Jesus' efforts to distinguish himself from God, the Father. This passage is not the only one that highlights this distinction. I concur with the physical separation of Father and Son. There are more points for discussion in the cited passage from Luke. We have touched upon point number two, but there is more to explore. We are hoping to find something that perhaps no ordinary search has ever uncovered, strangely enough.

I'm eagerly awaiting comments from the more inquisitive individuals, those who constantly seek answers from others that they usually fail to provide themselves. They might actually hold the answers, but they may not realize it yet.
  5. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 23:12
    @rajk999 said
    Its likely to be the same story with many doctrines, and in this thread might be no exception. People like to go about interpreting the bible, forming opinions and making conclusions on the biblical text, even when these conclusions are the complete opposite to what Jesus said.
    Be sure to let us know if anyone among us states something different from what Jesus said or intended. All participation is welcome. That's the point - opinions. Opinions arise from interpretations, typically. It would make sense that God would have structured things in a way that defies any and all interpretations. Perhaps God was trying to be economical with His words. Often, things need to be detailed and described from various perspectives to achieve clarity to the point where interpretations are no longer necessary.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 23:42
    @pettytalk said
    Be sure to let us know if anyone among us states something different from what Jesus said or intended. All participation is welcome. That's the point - opinions. Opinions arise from interpretations, typically. It would make sense that God would have structured things in a way that defies any and all interpretations. Perhaps God was trying to be economical with His words. Of ...[text shortened]... various perspectives to achieve clarity to the point where interpretations are no longer necessary.
    This year April will make it 20 yrs I have been doing just that. People are generally more interested in trying to justify their church doctrines, instead of believing and adhering to, and promoting what Jesus said. There is a whole sect of Christians called Dispensationalists who believe that the teachings and commandments of Christ are not applicable to us now, since he was in a different dispensation which ended on the Day of Pentecost.
  7. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 23:491 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I beg to differ-

John 1:18 “No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known. “
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 23:55
    @mchill said
    I beg to differ-

John 1:18 “No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known. “
    What bogus translation are you using? Here is what the KJV says:

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. (John 1:18 KJV)

So Jesus is God, and he is also the Son in a relationship with the Father [Himself].
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 01:18
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    He asked why they called Him good in their question, He did not deny anything. He said many things that could only be explained by Him being the Word of God, the Son of man.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 01:531 edit
    @kellyjay said
    He asked why they called Him good in their question, He did not deny anything. He said many things that could only be explained by Him being the Word of God, the Son of man.
    What nonsense !! Here is what Jesus said:

And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. (Luke 18:18-19 KJV)

Are you not seeing that Jesus is in fact denying that he is good and that there is only one good which is God and not Him? Cleary Jesus and God are two separate and distinct entities.
  11. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 02:15
    @mchill said
    I beg to differ-

No begging, just opinions. Is not the Son of God also a God? Like Father like Son. Actually there are many other references where Jesus set himself apart from the Father.

Jesus also is said to have said to those wanting to stone him for claiming to be the Son of God: Is it not written that ye are gods?

Also in John, 10:34-38

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 04:14
    @rajk999 said
    What nonsense !! Here is what Jesus said:

And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. (Luke 18:18-19 KJV)

Are you not seeing that Jesus is in fact denying that he is good and that there is only one good which is God and not Him? Cleary Jesus and God are two separate and distinct entities.
    I read what He said, do you see Him denying anything?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 08:40
    @kellyjay said
    Yes. He was denying that he was 'good'.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 09:10
    @mchill said
    I beg to differ-

Oh, are we allowed to provide our own version of the text?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 09:13
    @kellyjay said
    He asked why they were calling him good when only God was good. CLEARLY this is Jesus saying he was not God and shouldn't be described as good.

This couldn't be any clearer and you are simply demonstrating the Christian tendency for biblical blindness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree