Understanding the Bible:  A Discussion on Luke 18:18-27

Understanding the Bible: A Discussion on Luke 18:18-27"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
He asked why they were calling him good when only God was good. CLEARLY this is Jesus saying he was not God and shouldn't be described as good.

This couldn't be any clearer and you are simply demonstrating the Christian tendency for biblical blindness.
No, Jesus was probing to see if they could see his divinity.

He was more blunt with Philip when he said to him “if you have seen me you have seen the father”.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

@divegeester said
No, Jesus was probing to see if they could see his divinity.

He was more blunt with Philip when he said to him “if you have seen me you have seen the father”.
The 'Jesus was just probing' them argument has always been a bit of a stretch. (Was he really that needy? )

Odd then that you chose to deny the obvious interpretation on the above and yet willingly take a literal understanding of “if you have seen me you have seen the father”

Mother Terresa no doubt believed she was doing the work of God and that God Himself could be seen in her actions. Couldn't she equally have said (in a non literal sense) “if you have seen me you have seen the father”. Can't all representatives of something say that?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
The 'Jesus was just probing' them argument has always been a bit of a stretch.
Always?

I’ve not heard it before.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Odd then that you chose to deny the obvious interpretation on the above and yet willingly take a literal understanding of “if you have seen me you have seen the father”
Nothing “odd” at all.

You text you cite is wide open to different interpretations, the quote to Philip isn’t.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Mother Terresa no doubt believed she was doing the work of God and that God Himself could be seen in her actions. Couldn't she equally have said (in a non literal sense) “if you have seen me you have seen the father”. Can't all representatives of something say that?
Now that IS a “stretch”!

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

@divegeester said
Always?

I’ve not heard it before.
'Probing' might be your word, but it's the common defence for a Christian believing Jesus is God. (That Jesus was subtly suggesting He was God, due to being good, leaving bread crumbs for them to follow).

Why are you calling me good (wink wink). Only God is good (wink wink).

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

@divegeester said

You text you cite is wide open to different interpretations, the quote to Philip isn’t.
This is clearly incorrect.

You choose to take it literally as it suits your purpose.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

Burt works in a fried chicken shop and puts love into every chicken he batters, embodying the spirit of the company he works for.

If you've seen Burt, you've seen Colonel Sanders.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
This is clearly incorrect.

You choose to take it literally as it suits your purpose.
No it isn’t.

Correct, there is not one person from any religion who doesn’t.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Burt works in a fried chicken shop and puts love into every chicken he batters, embodying the spirit of the company he works for.

If you've seen Burt, you've seen Colonel Sanders.
This is stupid and irrelevant.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
106d
1 edit

@rajk999 said
What nonsense !! Here is what Jesus said:

And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. (Luke 18:18-19 KJV)

Are you not seeing that Jesus is in fact denying that he is good and that there is only one good which is God and not Him? Cleary Jesus and God are two separate and distinct entities.
What must I do to inherit eternal life, did Jesus give him a list of things to do, and with that list was it enough? The Jesus you make up in your mind isn't, your Jesus is not the one from scripture he is your creation.

Luke 18
“One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
106d

@rajk999 said
Yes. He was denying that he was 'good'.
No, read what He said.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
He asked why they were calling him good when only God was good. CLEARLY this is Jesus saying he was not God and shouldn't be described as good.

This couldn't be any clearer and you are simply demonstrating the Christian tendency for biblical blindness.
He was asking why He asked Him, He did not deny He was good or God, He was asking why that question was put to Him. Jesus was fully man, and fully God neither of those was "CLEARLY" being addressed by that answer.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
106d

@kellyjay said
He was asking why He asked Him, He did not deny He was good or God, He was asking why that question was put to Him. Jesus was fully man, and fully God neither of those was "CLEARLY" being addressed by that answer.
Exactly.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
106d

@divegeester
👍