Understanding the Bible:  A Discussion on Luke 18:18-27

Understanding the Bible: A Discussion on Luke 18:18-27"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

@divegeester said
This is stupid and irrelevant.
Bradford is the heart of England. If you've seen Bradford you've seen England.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

@kellyjay said
He was asking why He asked Him, He did not deny He was good or God, He was asking why that question was put to Him. Jesus was fully man, and fully God neither of those was "CLEARLY" being addressed by that answer.
Why are you calling me good, only God is good. I'm not God.

That is what he meant.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

@kellyjay said
He was asking why He asked Him, He did not deny He was good or God, He was asking why that question was put to Him. Jesus was fully man, and fully God neither of those was "CLEARLY" being addressed by that answer.
In the Gospel of John you do indeed have Jesus saying things like, "Before Abraham was, I am." And, "I and the Father are one," and, "If you've seen me, you've seen the Father." - Why though don't we see this in the other gospels or in the writings of Paul? Why don't they record Jesus saying such things?

Surely Matthew, Mark and Luke would mention Jesus called himself God if that was indeed what he was declaring about himself. No?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Why are you calling me good, only God is good. I'm not God.

That is what he meant.
Yes, Jesus was asking why He called Him good since only God was good. Nothing about that was a denial of Jesus being good or God. You are reading into it something that is not there.

God when He asked Adam where Adam was after Adam sinned do you think it was because God lost track of Adam? God by His question was starting to show Adam something? When God asks any of us questions it is always for our benefit not to fill in some gap in God’s knowledge.

Moves
106d

I had hoped for order to be maintained. I may have misnumbered item number 2.

2. Jesus' objection to being called 'Good.' I should have listed this as the last item, #8.

Perhaps it's too early, but I, personally, feel that intertextuality should be considered when a particular and unusual meaning can be gleaned from Biblical texts, even if they appear as mere coincidences.

"But, whether true or false, my opinion is that in the world of knowledge the idea of GOOD appears last of all, and is seen only with an effort; and, when seen, is also inferred to be the UNIVERSAL AUTHOR of all things beautiful and right, PARENT of LIGHT and of the LORD of LIGHT in this visible WORLD, and the immediate source of reason and truth in the intellectual; and that this is the power upon which he who would act rationally, either in public or private life must have his eye fixed."

“I am the Light of the World” (John 8:12)

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
106d

@kellyjay said
Yes, Jesus was asking why He called Him good since only God was good. Nothing about that was a denial of Jesus being good or God. You are reading into it something that is not there.

God when He asked Adam where Adam was after Adam sinned do you think it was because God lost track of Adam? God by His question was starting to show Adam something? When God asks any of us questions it is always for our benefit not to fill in some gap in God’s knowledge.
ONLY God is good. ONLY, means nobody else is good.
Your church really have you confused.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
106d

@pettytalk said
I had hoped for order to be maintained. I may have misnumbered item number 2.

2. Jesus' objection to being called 'Good.' I should have listed this as the last item, #8.

Perhaps it's too early, but I, personally, feel that intertextuality should be considered when a particular and unusual meaning can be gleaned from Biblical texts, even if they appear as mere coincid ...[text shortened]... her in public or private life must have his eye fixed."

“I am the Light of the World” (John 8:12)
Part of your problem is that you did not start the discussion. You have to start, then others will take the lead and contribute. What you did is throw out severall points and then asked people to discuss. You start it. You pick one topic and say something to get the ball rolling.

Moves
106d

Speak now, or forever hold your peace. Is there anyone here who disagrees that eternal life is equivalent to salvation?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d

@rajk999 said
ONLY God is good. ONLY, means nobody else is good.
Your church really have you confused.
Indeed.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
106d
1 edit

@pettytalk said
Speak now, or forever hold your peace. Is there anyone here who disagrees that eternal life is equivalent to salvation?
What if science eventually offers a way for humans to live forever, without the need of God or salvation?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
106d

@pettytalk said
Here is my opinion on that. Eternal life and salvation are two separate and distinct things. There are some references where the words are used interchangeably. However the expressions 'saved' and 'salvation' are misleading, if the context is not understood. Paul said a woman is saved in childbearing. That cannot possible mean that all women who bear children get eternal life. Paul said, this day salvation is come to this house. Does that mean all in the houlshold get eternal life? I dont think so

Eternal life is more clearcut. It is what you get at the end when Jesus returns or, when you are judged. Eternal life is after judgment. Salvation is given to everyone freely by the death of Christ. There are several references which state Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, and is the saviour of the world. Paul explained:

For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. (Romans 5:17-18 KJV)

Adam sinned and all men were condemned to death.
Jesus was righteous and all men were justified unto life
This is the free gift of God

Moves
106d

@rajk999 said
Part of your problem is that you did not start the discussion. You have to start, then others will take the lead and contribute. What you did is throw out severall points and then asked people to discuss. You start it. You pick one topic and say something to get the ball rolling.
You got it, my apologies. Perhaps my subconscious didn't allow me to think clearly. This is just an excuse, but I wanted to see if people here wanted to hear the good news first, or the bad. Is it better to give people the good news first or the bad, when both are in the works?

Obviously, it seems that most people prefer to discuss the good news first."

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
What if science eventually offers a way for a humans to live forever, without the need of God or salvation?
I suspect that is exactly what is going to happen. What Christians think is that Jesus will come down here and instantly everything will be turned into a paradise like it was in the Garden of Eden. Man has reached so far in understanding the makeup of the human body that living to several hundred years is just around the corner. Eternal life can be a mere 100 years away or less.

If that happens and there is no flash of lightening with the arrival of Christ then we can safely conclude that we are living in the Kingdom of God, and that it is God working through man that enables this to happen.

Many Christians have made wrong predictions of these end times. Simpsons did a far better job of that ... lol 🙂

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
106d

@pettytalk said
You got it, my apologies. Perhaps my subconscious didn't allow me to think clearly. This is just an excuse, but I wanted to see if people here wanted to hear the good news first, or the bad. Is it better to give people the good news first or the bad, when both are in the works?

Obviously, it seems that most people prefer to discuss the good news first."
Ok, I responded ... whats you opinion on eternal life and salvation.

Moves
106d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
What if science eventually offers a way for humans to live forever, without the need of God or salvation?
Science has to take a back seat for now. But if science can allow us to live forever the way we are currently living, please spare me the salvation.

When The Music's Over:
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside.