What does Jesus want from us?

What does Jesus want from us?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 16

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
C'mon TW. Over the years you've repeatedly shown that you struggle grasping abstract concepts. You continue to show it here.
You have shown no such thing. If I recall correctly the last time I spoke to you my post went right over your head and you were so embarrassed you started talking about me to someone else rather than directly to me.

If you haven't done a conceptual analysis of what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth, of what value is your opinion regarding them?
It is of value to me. I never said it would be of value to you.

It remains the case that you haven't answered my questions and instead tried to throw me off by telling me to go read the gospels on your behalf. Sorry, not going to happen. Reading the gospels is largely irrelevant to anything I said.

I could equally say that Gandalf is much more profound and tell you go read the Lord of the Rings and get back to me when you are done. Will you do it?
Then after that I will give you some Chinese philosophers to read.
When you are done with them, I am sure I can find something else.

If you want to throw yet another hissy fit and pretend that I "didn't like the points [you] made and have no rational response" when you struggle, that's fine by me. It's what you do.
Pretending that I am throwing a 'hissy fit' because I disagreed with you is what you do. My points still stand regardless.

T

Moves
06 May 16
3 edits

Originally posted by checkbaiter
So help me understand.
You are not necessarily in love with the "person " of Jesus Christ but with what was spoken presumably by him?
Perhaps the most prevalent theme of the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth was the importance of His words:
One must understand His words.
Not just understand His words, but believe His words
Not just believe His words, but follow his words
Not just follow His words, but KEEP His words
Not just KEEP His words, but KEEP His words as He kept His father's words.

John 8
63... the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Jesus wants his followers to become a son of God as He is a son of God, i.e., Jesus wants his followers to become one with God as He is one with God, i. e., one with the will of God, i. e. one who does not go against the will of God, i. e. one who does not commit sin.

Ultimately, it's about transformation. Transformation from a "bad tree" to a "good tree". Transformation from one "born of the flesh" to one "born of the spirit". Transformation from a "slave" of committing sin to one "free" from committing sin.

One does not have "eternal life" / cannot "live in the kingdom" until this transformation is complete.

T

Moves
06 May 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
You have shown no such thing. If I recall correctly the last time I spoke to you my post went right over your head and you were so embarrassed you started talking about me to someone else rather than directly to me.

[b]If you haven't done a conceptual analysis of what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth, of what value is your opinion regarding them? ...[text shortened]... ing a 'hissy fit' because I disagreed with you is what you do. My points still stand regardless.
Evidently it wasn't something that you can understand. My hopes were for naught.

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 16

Evidently it wasn't something that you can understand. My hopes were for naught.
Evidently you still don't want to answer my questions or admit my points are valid and are hiding behind a feigned over inflated ego. I understand perfectly well.

T

Moves
06 May 16

Evidently you still don't want to answer my questions or admit my points are valid and are hiding behind a feigned over inflated ego. I understand perfectly well.
What kind of programmer are you? What types of applications do you work on and what is your role within your department?

I've often wondered about that.

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 16

What kind of programmer are you? What types of applications do you work on and what is your role within your department?

I've often wondered about that.
Are there different 'kinds' of programmer? I didn't know that. My current job isn't actually programming at all although I do occasionally use some programming in it. My previous job was in the chartered aircraft industry where I wrote the reservations system and various other apps for the company.
Is this relevant, or just another attempt to put me down?

T

Moves
06 May 16
2 edits

Are there different 'kinds' of programmer? I didn't know that. My current job isn't actually programming at all although I do occasionally use some programming in it. My previous job was in the chartered aircraft industry where I wrote the reservations system and various other apps for the company.
Is this relevant, or just another attempt to put me down?
Sure there are different kinds:
Scientific application programmers
Business application programmers
Software programmers
Firmware programmers
Programmers who primarily do ground floor development
Programmers who primarily perform maintenance on existing in-house systems
Programmers who primarily babysit packaged software systems
Programmers who primarily lead and design
Programmers who are primarily coding dogs
And so on...

That particular pie can be cut up any number of ways.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
06 May 16

[b]If you haven't done a conceptual analysis of what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth, of what value is your opinion regarding them? ...[text shortened]... ing a 'hissy fit' because I disagreed with you is what you do. My points still stand regardless.
Reading the gospels is largely irrelevant to anything I said.

If you haven't read them then it's not clear what you are basing your earlier statement that you are not particularly impressed with the teachings of Jesus.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 May 16

Originally posted by Rajk999
Ok, thanks.

I can show you where this is stated by Christ -
[b] ..obedience to the teachings of Jesus Christ is how one procures salvation.

So could you provide a reference for this doctrine by Jesus Christ?
obedience is the evidence of salvation?[/b]
"I can show you where this is stated by Christ - " ..obedience to the teachings of Jesus Christ is how one procures salvation."

Show me where Jesus said that.

Also, tell me, do you read and believe the whole of scripture, or only the parts you have chosen to be authentic?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 May 16

Perhaps the most prevalent theme of the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth was the importance of His words:
One must understand His words.
Not just understand His words, but believe His words
Not just believe His words, but follow his words
Not just follow His words, but KEEP His words
Not just KEEP His words, but KEEP His words as He kept ...[text shortened]... es not have "eternal life" / cannot "live in the kingdom" until this transformation is complete.
"Transformation from a "slave" of committing sin to one "free" from committing sin."

Yes or no. Have you sinned since you have presumably experienced this transformation?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 May 16

Originally posted by Rajk999
Ok, thanks.

I can show you where this is stated by Christ -
[b] ..obedience to the teachings of Jesus Christ is how one procures salvation.

So could you provide a reference for this doctrine by Jesus Christ?
obedience is the evidence of salvation?[/b]
Why are you avoiding the issue of the thief?

You don't know do you?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by josephw
[b]"I can show you where this is stated by Christ - " ..obedience to the teachings of Jesus Christ is how one procures salvation."

Show me where Jesus said that.

Also, tell me, do you read and believe the whole of scripture, or only the parts you have chosen to be authentic?[/b]
You were talking about trusting God and Christ hence the focus on what Christ preached.

I guess you cannot find your reference.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
07 May 16
1 edit

Why are you avoiding the issue of the thief?

You don't know do you?
All of Christianity are not theives on crosses. Their hands are not nailed down. Christians are required to do certain things.

.., Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? .. if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matthew 19:16-19 KJV)

The answer to the question of how to get eternal life is the keep the commandments.
That is the teachings of Jesus Christ, in whom you yourself said that you need to place your trust.

So where is the reference you promised. ?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
07 May 16
1 edit

You dont like Christ teachings? Here is John:

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. (1 John 2:3-6 KJV)

You know Christ if you keep His commandments.
If you say you know Christ and you do not keep His commandments then you are a liar.

These are the words of John.

Still waiting on your reference from Christ and what exactly about Christ do you trust?

T

Moves
07 May 16
3 edits

[b]"Transformation from a "slave" of committing sin to one "free" from committing sin."

Yes or no. Have you sinned since you have presumably experienced this transformation?[/b]
I've already explained the fallacy of this question on this thread as has rajk999. I'm pretty sure that I've explained it to you in the past and probably more than once.

Now if you could cite where Jesus, while He walked the Earth, said that it was impossible for someone to stop committing sin, then you'd have something. But you can't, so you continue to resort to asking the same illogical question as if it had some sort of relevance.

I can back up my position with the words of Jesus while He walked the Earth. Evidently you can't otherwise you would and you wouldn't continue to stoop so low.