Who Owns Truth Anyway ?

Who Owns Truth Anyway ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Apr 17

Originally posted by sonship
Say a brief word to me about the different schools in theology about the nature of [b]Inspiration of the Bible.

Just give a brief description on the various positions among Christian scholars on Inspiration.

Of course this way no one can know if you quickly did some homework on the Internet before replying. But that's ok.[/b]
Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound here?

F

Moves
18 Apr 17

Just give a brief description on the various positions among Christian scholars on Inspiration.
The trite and decidedly circular fallback you have used re: evidence of divine inspiration time and time again with me is that the Bible is, in your view, just too amazing and clever to have been dreamed up by men without divine assistance. Unfortunately, your sincerity is not evidence of anything at all aside from things internal to you.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Apr 17

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Hey, if I stopped speaking everytime I thought I sounded ridiculous, I would have stopped teaching the Bible decades ago ?

Go learn what the Apostle Paul meant in First Corinthians about "the foolishness of preaching".

" For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know God, God was well pleased through the foolishness of preaching to save those who believe ... " (Go find it)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

Ooo, Ooo ... I sound ridiculous!
Oooo, Oooooo .... I sound ridiculous.

Someone ask avalanchethe cat where he came from, why is he here in the universe, and what in the world is his destiny!

You'll find him to be eloquently .... clueless, I bet.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Apr 17

Go learn what the Apostle Paul meant in First Corinthians about "the foolishness of preaching".
You really do have a massively inflated opinion of your own knowledge and relevance don't you?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

Ooo, Ooo ... I sound ridiculous!
Oooo, Oooooo .... I sound ridiculous.

Someone ask avalanchethe cat where he came from, why is he here in the universe, and what in the world is his destiny!

You'll find him to be eloquently .... clueless, I bet.
I know exactly the same amount about these things as you do.

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

No, I am pretty sure that you're also ignorant of what Inspiration of Scripture means, regardless of the unicorn matter.
I'm guessing you're basing your 'inspiration' of scripture on good old Timothy, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."

Of course when Timothy said that there was no canon of scripture established yet, and was therefore clearly referring to all holy writings, 'not' the Bible.

rc

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I'm guessing you're basing your 'inspiration' of scripture on good old Timothy, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."

Of course when Timothy said that there was no canon of scripture established yet, and was therefore clearly referring to all holy writings, 'not' the Bible.
Sorry old bean thats simply not true and a common mistake, the Masoretes had preserved the Hebrew portion of the Bible for centuries numbering every letter.

Moves
18 Apr 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Sorry old bean thats simply not true and a common mistake, the Masoretes had preserved the Hebrew portion of the Bible for centuries numbering every letter.
GOAD has a degree in theology.

Do you have one of those?

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

You mean the Masoretes who came along a swift 6 hundred years or so 'after' Christ? Those Masoretes?

And there is a big difference between preserving and standardising (which was their undertaking).

C- for effort.

rc

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

You mean the Masoretes who came along a swift 6 hundred years or so 'after' Christ? Those Masoretes?

And there is a big difference between preserving and standardising (which was their undertaking).

C- for effort.
ouch! busted again! good game 0-1 😵

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Apr 17
6 edits

I'm guessing you're basing your 'inspiration' of scripture on good old Timothy,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is an important passage (2 Tim. 3:16) in the whole matter of God inspiring the prophetic writings.
All Scriptures is "God breathed" and profitable for inhaling (spiritually).

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course when Timothy said that there was no canon of scripture established yet,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correction:
The Hebrew canon of Scripture was established.

Remember that Jesus said "And Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35)
The Jews recognized the Hebrew Bible as having been inspired by God.
Of course they also had a plethora of OTHER sacred and religious literature.
Though these were of interest and of some value, they did not rank with the Hebrew canon of books recognized as inspired.

After His resurrection Jesus expounded on the inspired canon of "Old Testament" Scriptures as they taught of Himself:

"Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and enter into His glory?

And beginning from Moses and from all the prophets, He explained to them clearly in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself." (Luke 24:26,27)

When Paul told Timothy that all Scripture is God breathed or inspired of course he was talking about what was the canon of Scripture then.

The process of recognizing the authoritative God inspired New Testament books commenced with the new covenant believers in the same way as with the old covenant believers.

Remember that Jesus scolded the Pharisees because they made void "the word of God". So belief in the inspiration of Scriptures and its authority was established even before the new covenant church age.

"Thus you deprive the word of God of its authority by your tradition which you have handed down. And many things similar to these you do." (Mark 7:13)

See? The Hebrew Bible was "the word of God" with "its authority".

Moves
18 Apr 17

ouch! busted again! good game 0-1 😵
Is a shame sir you capitulated so early. I had more ammunition to fire.

😠

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Apr 17

[b] I'm guessing you're basing your 'inspiration' of scripture on good old Timothy,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is an important passage (2 Tim. 3:16) in the whole matter of God inspiring the prophetic writings.
All Scriptures is "God breathed" ...[text shortened]... [/b] [/quote]

See? The Hebrew Bible was "the word of God" with "its authority".[/b]
So you are holding these writings as divinely inspired because they say that they are? Does that seem a suitable foundation for such an edifice?

rc

Moves
18 Apr 17
5 edits

Is a shame sir you capitulated so early. I had more ammunition to fire.

😠
Indeed neither myself , Peter, Paul or even Jesus had a degree in theology. Too bad. I wonder how many of those early Christians did? Very few I reckon. Maybe divegeester knows more than he is telling us? Perhaps he will have something more substantial than the predictable, comparing yourself with Jesus argument that he trots out like some moth eaten garment from time to time. Either way I suspect that Timothy had access to many of the books of the Hebrew scriptures (copies were kept in synagogues) making your claim that it was made with reference to any old scripture quite ludicrous.