1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 02:10
    Tough loss; Bailey was brilliant (again) but the bats couldn't get going after the 1st when BP made a baserunning blunder that cost at least a run. To lose in the 10th on a Hanigan PB (he made only 3 all year) and a Rolen error is a tough one to swallow.

Another chance to close out the Giants tomorrow; they'll be throwing Zito. Our pitcher hasn't been announced, but I'm betting Latos.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 22:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Tough loss; Bailey was brilliant (again) but the bats couldn't get going after the 1st when BP made a baserunning blunder that cost at least a run. To lose in the 10th on a Hanigan PB (he made only 3 all year) and a Rolen error is a tough one to swallow.

Another chance to close out the Giants tomorrow; they'll be throwing Zito. Our pitcher hasn't been announced, but I'm betting Latos.
    Nope, it was Leake. Leake was no more effective than was Zito.
    Pagan and Sandoval have owned the Reds today.
    The Reds will need a monster comeback against Lincecum to win it today.
    Otherwise, it will be winner take all in game 5
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 23:45
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Nope, it was Leake. Leake was no more effective than was Zito.
    Pagan and Sandoval have owned the Reds today.
    The Reds will need a monster comeback against Lincecum to win it today.
    Otherwise, it will be winner take all in game 5
    The Giants do win it 8-3, forcing a game 5. I am guessing it will be Latos going for Cincy, unless Cueto has sufficiently recovered.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 23:55
    The Giants do win it 8-3, forcing a game 5. I am guessing it will be Latos going for Cincy, unless Cueto has sufficiently recovered.
    Cueto is off the roster. Latos it is.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 00:06
    Cueto is off the roster. Latos it is.
    Really? I hadn't heard that. What did they find and is he done for the year or just this series?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 01:101 edit
    Really? I hadn't heard that. What did they find and is he done for the year or just this series?
    Strained oblique. In order to activate Leake, they had to remove Cueto from the post-season roster. He'll also be ineligible for the NLCS if they win tomorrow. In theory, he could make it back for the World Series if they make it.http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/10/10/3482670/reds-johnny-cueto-injury-strained-oblique-nlds
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 01:14
    Strained oblique. In order to activate Leake, they had to remove Cueto from the post-season roster. He'll also be ineligible for the NLCS if they win tomorrow. In theory, he could make it back for the World Series if they make it.http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/10/10/3482670/reds-johnny-cueto-injury-strained-oblique-nlds
    That's too bad. Hate to see players get injured when they have a chance to finally make the playoffs.

Well, I guess we'll see if Matt Cain can notch his first win against Cincy tomorrow, or
    if Latos will hold them at bay. Regardless, it has been a good series.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 01:28
    That's too bad. Hate to see players get injured when they have a chance to finally make the playoffs.

Well, I guess we'll see if Matt Cain can notch his first win against Cincy tomorrow, or
    if Latos will hold them at bay. Regardless, it has been a good series.
    Cueto pitched in the 2010 series against Philly, so it wouldn't have been his first rodeo. He went 5 IP in Game 3 giving up 2 runs, 1 earned and was lifted for a PH after throwing 83 pitches. Unfortunately, the Reds couldn't get anything off Hamels that day and lost 2-0.

Everything about tomorrow's game says we have the advantage; home where we haven't lost three in a row all year, we've knocked around Cain all three times we've faced him this year and Latos has pitched 20 IP against the Giants this year and allowed only two runs and 10 hits. There's no excuses; if the Giants win, I'll tip my cap to them.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 02:206 edits
    I don't care what anybody says, Votto is still hurt. If the guy chokes up any more on the bat he will have to bunt every time up. I heard on the radio that he will not be 100% till next year. So that makes their best offensive player and pitcher injured, with one still playing injured. No doubt, that will not sway Dusty to change his ways in terms of putting Votto somewhere else in the batting order. God forbid the man ever changes.

The Reds may squeeze past the Giants, but if they do they are toast from here on out due to injury. Stick a fork in them Maurader, the gig is up.

Having said that, some of Dusty's decision making is really bothering me. Why is Hannigan not out there today? If he had been playing, he would have been batting with bases loaded and would have probably given the game an entirely different feel. The guy has a high on base percentage and is a contact hitter. That other catcher just struke out with the bases loaded and would have never happened with Hannigan. In addition, he always insists on batting Hanigan low in the order. Why? I thought hitters with a high on base percentage should hit higher in the batting order. My guess is that the other catcher was given the nod today due to the fact that Leake was more comfortable with him out there instead of Hanigan. However, I would argue that you could have Johnny Bench out there and Leake still shows is arse, so why not put in some offense Dusty? In fact, the Reds have shown me their arse so many times in my life that I feel like I've been intimate with them. It would be nice to have one play off win in Cincinnati in about 2 decades, but perhaps I'm wanting too much here.

Dusty finally put Frazier in place of over the hill Rolan that can't hit above .250 nor can he seem to feild very well anymore, but no doubt he will have Rolan back out their tomorrow for their last gasp. And why did Dusty leave Leake out there when he started to falter in the 5th? I thought the Reds had their bull pen all ready to go which was supposidly superior to the Giants bull pen? Speaking of the Giants manager, the guy is a genious. He knows exactly when to pull pitchers and when to leave them in.

So I guess it is yet another happy and gay night in the San Fran area. Yeah.
  10. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 06:15
    Cueto pitched in the 2010 series against Philly, so it wouldn't have been his first rodeo. He went 5 IP in Game 3 giving up 2 runs, 1 earned and was lifted for a PH after throwing 83 pitches. Unfortunately, the Reds couldn't get anything off Hamels that day and lost 2-0.

Everything about tomorrow's game says we have the advantage; home whe ...[text shortened]... ly two runs and 10 hits. There's no excuses; if the Giants win, I'll tip my cap to them.
    I certainly hate to say it, but I like the Cards comeuppance. They're lighting up the boards!
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 13:29
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    I certainly hate to say it, but I like the Cards comeuppance. They're lighting up the boards!
    They did the same thing last season if you recall.
    They were fortunate that the Nats shut Strasburg down though.
    If they had to face Gio Gonzales and Strasburg twice, I don't think the outcome would be the same.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 14:21
    They did the same thing last season if you recall.
    They were fortunate that the Nats shut Strasburg down though.
    If they had to face Gio Gonzales and Strasburg twice, I don't think the outcome would be the same.
    The Cardinals, like the Yankees, are like roaches. You can step on them all year long but at the end of the day they are still there.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 15:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    The Cardinals, like the Yankees, are like roaches. You can step on them all year long but at the end of the day they are still there.
    LOL....sort of like you whodey!! 😉😀
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 21:04
    Well, I had a feeling the Giants would win, although the Reds put up a fierce rally in
    the 9th, and Jay Bruce's at bat was tremendous, although it was ultimately unsuccessful.
    Congrats to the Reds on a good season.

Now to see if the Nats can come back to beat the Cards or not.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 21:59
    Well, I had a feeling the Giants would win, although the Reds put up a fierce rally in
    the 9th, and Jay Bruce's at bat was tremendous, although it was ultimately unsuccessful.
    Congrats to the Reds on a good season.

Now to see if the Nats can come back to beat the Cards or not.
    I really kept thinking that Romo was going to finally make a mistake and Jay would do a fist pumping trot around the bases like when he hit the walk off that clinched the division in 2010. Alas it was not to be.

The Reds didn't roll over and fought back tenaciously but just couldn't get enough big hits to quite get it done. It's a disappointing end to a great season, but the Giants deserve credit for coming back strong. Kudos to them.

We'll be back; it's mostly a young team esp. in the pitching staff. Thank you Reds and thanks to the other posters for making this an interesting (if a little bit overoptimistic) thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree