26 Feb '16 20:021 edit
    getting all their points from? challenges like this,

Clan challenge 280052
  2. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 23:45
    average rating over 5 years 1254 v 1192, hardly comparable to what you and your wenches are doing
  3. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 23:54
    or over 1 year 1249 v 1188
  4. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 23:56
    i'd actually be interested to see if anyone can come up with the fairest challenge recently, i don't have time to do the maths but i'm sure there must be a a clan challenge going on where both teams are almost equal
  5. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 23:59
    and it won't involve Easy Riders, Breaking Bad, Arrow, Anti Metallica, Strategic Ultimatium, or University of Chess Fun (6 clans set up by 3 people...........)
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 08:262 edits
    Originally posted by Wycombe Al
    average rating over 5 years 1254 v 1192, hardly comparable to what you and your wenches are doing
    you base your challenges on the average rating over five years and then add them all up to determine if the challenge is fair? Really? You and Obed Blayer are a little too cosy for comfort Aldo my man!
  7. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 11:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you base your challenges on the average rating over five years and then add them all up to determine if the challenge is fair? Really? You and Obed Blayer are a little too cosy for comfort Aldo my man!
    5 year ratings are not impacted as much as 90 day or 1 year ratings when trying to remove the effect of sandbagging, of course no difference if someone has been sandbagging more than 5 years

Highest rating is totally pointless as only takes a few timeouts against a much higher rated player to achieve your highest rating
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 14:02
    i'd actually be interested to see if anyone can come up with the fairest challenge recently, i don't have time to do the maths but i'm sure there must be a a clan challenge going on where both teams are almost equal
    How's this for "almost equal"?

Clan challenge 281577
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 15:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How's this for "almost equal"?

Clan challenge 281577
    spew
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 17:09
    spew
    I had my accountant look at the numbers and he says that it sure looks as though you couldn't get much more even. I asked him if he were on the level.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 17:37
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I had my accountant look at the numbers and he says that it sure looks as though you couldn't get much more even. I asked him if he were on the level.
    Please dude next Suzzi wah wah will be walking around halo in hand throwing it around like Goldfingers henchman, Oddjob.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 17:421 edit
    5 year ratings are not impacted as much as 90 day or 1 year ratings when trying to remove the effect of sandbagging, of course no difference if someone has been sandbagging more than 5 years

Highest rating is totally pointless as only takes a few timeouts against a much higher rated player to achieve your highest rating
    I agree to a certain extent with you. We must take into consideration those who may have had a medical condition such as a stroke, or seizures, or both that would affect the minds thinking process. Of course this would be a very low amount of members, but a possibility.

That would throw the 5 year rating right out the window and possibly even the 90 day rating. The clan leaders would most likely be aware if that were to happen as rehabilitation time would be required. It would be difficult for period of time to find where these members new rating was, or if it had stayed the same which I believe would be unlikely.

Kind Regards,
    -VR
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 20:45
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I agree to a certain extent with you. We must take into consideration those who may have had a medical condition such as a stroke, or seizures, or both that would affect the minds thinking process. Of course this would be a very low amount of members, but a possibility.

That would throw the 5 year rating right out the window and possibly even the 90 da ...[text shortened]... ating was, or if it had stayed the same which I believe would be unlikely.

Kind Regards,
    -VR
    That still assumes that in the normal way a player's rating will be even.

There are three sorts of players: those with fairly consistent even ratings, viewable on thei graph on their profile: deliberate sandbaggers: and finally, those whose graph line has huge spikes upwards and troughs downwards. Peaks and valleys.

I can speak with authority on the latter type. The variation in my rating is 250+, no sandbagging, just the way it works out, and I am far from being unique. I am currently down in a trough; I haven't had a stroke, and I'll get it back up again very soon.

Mind you, two of my recent opponents have been substantially below their high points, in one case over a thousand points below, in another nearly that amount. I don't mind too much, except that in clan games the result wouldn't be exactly fair!
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 21:092 edits
    Originally posted by Startreader
    That still assumes that in the normal way a player's rating will be even.

There are three sorts of players: those with fairly consistent even ratings, viewable on thei graph on their profile: deliberate sandbaggers: and finally, those whose graph line has huge spikes upwards and troughs downwards. Peaks and valleys.

I can speak with authority on ...[text shortened]... at amount. I don't mind too much, except that in clan games the result wouldn't be exactly fair!
    I give you a thumb up for you post

You are still not taking into account if you had a stroke or seizures how it would affect your rating. Another thing I failed to mention is the amount of games you have at one time, and the amount of time, you have in which to make those moves, would also have an affect on the rating. So there are many things to take into account. some maybe that we both have missed.

Kind Regards,
    -VR
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 03:45
    spew
    "spew"- Suzianne pairs equally, wow!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree