Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    20 Dec '16 19:19
    6 eye-popping cases of mainstream media fake news

http://www.wnd.com/2016/12/6-eye-popping-cases-of-mainstream-media-fake-news/

And these same people want to tell us what is fake news...
  2. 20 Dec '16 19:25
    Still can't cope with the fact that you got conned, eh?
  3. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    20 Dec '16 19:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Still can't cope with the fact that you got conned, eh?
    Who got conned?
    Libtards aren't born that way, they are taught. You have been conned since birth.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Dec '16 19:55
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Who got conned?
    Libtards aren't born that way, they are taught. You have been conned since birth.
    Whodey posted a fake news story of an FBI agent investigating Clinton suspiciously dying in a house fire. Was he conned since birth or born an idiot?
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Dec '16 20:00
    A conservative listening to right-winger Alex Jones, fell for a fake news story about sex trafficked children held prisoner in a pizza shop. Are conservatives like him conned since birth or born idiots?
  6. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    21 Dec '16 02:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    A conservative listening to right-winger Alex Jones, fell for a fake news story about sex trafficked children held prisoner in a pizza shop. Are conservatives like him conned since birth or born idiots?
    What's comical is that you think Pizzagate isn't real.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    21 Dec '16 02:57
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Our of curiosity, do you believe chemicals are being put into our nation's water that are turning frogs gay? Alex Jones does.
  8. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    21 Dec '16 04:10
    Hot stuff, pizza man. Give us a few kiddie code words.
  9. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    21 Dec '16 04:37
    Originally posted by vivify
    Whodey posted a fake news story of an FBI agent investigating Clinton suspiciously dying in a house fire. Was he conned since birth or born an idiot?
    Do you actually deny the 6 fake news reports listed in the op?
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    21 Dec '16 04:56
    Do you actually deny the 6 fake news reports listed in the op?
    I didn't read the link because it's a conservative site. If you can find more objective sources, I'll read it then.
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Dec '16 05:56
    I've also heard that the lamestream media actually is telling people that there is some mysterious "force" that makes the planets move in elliptical orbits and prevents objects on Earth from flying off into space! What a load of rubbish.
  12. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    21 Dec '16 22:39

I actually bothered to read that. I don't know about the first story, but he's calling an award winning journalist a faker. His evidence seems to consist of "What I wrote at the time."

For his second example of fake news he picked this:
    Another example of “fake news” by those supposedly concerned about same was revealed by Michael Martinez. In 2012, he reported: “George Zimmerman … is suing NBC Universal for using ‘the oldest form of yellow journalism’ by editing an audio tape of his 911 call to make him sound racist, the lawsuit says.”

Martinez reported that the suit stated: “Because of NBC’s deceptive and exploitative manipulations, the public wrongly believes that Zimmerman ‘use(d) a racial epithet’ while describing Martin during the call to the dispatcher on that fateful night.”

NBC claimed, “There was no intent to portray Mr. Zimmerman unfairly.” The problem with their claims of innocence is that “NBC aired various edited versions of the 911 call on March 19, 20, 22, and 27,” the suit said.
    What he didn't mention is that NBC won the case. The judge found that there is no convincing evidence that NBC knew that the tape was faked.

The Killian affair is true, but again there is no reason to believe that they knew that the document was a forgery, however they should not have been so ready to believe it. That GW missed a medical and was grounded as a pilot is not in dispute.

He mentions NBC suspending an employee, Brian Williams, for making false statements about his experiences during the Iraq War. I couldn't find this on Wikipedia, so I can't make a judgement, except that it doesn't seem to be a news story.

The GM motors vs NBC is also true and due, in part, to its parent company getting them to cut costs by employing cheaper journalists. However it is from 1992.

So he found six stories that were false spread over a period of 25 years. With the exception of NBC's story about exploding trucks, he provides no evidence that the stories were deliberately faked.

What people complain about with fake news is the way it is starting to dominate. Here is a real example of fake news which is totally invented [1], here msn repeats it [2], and snopes.com debunks it [3]. Why the fake story? The inventors of these stories put them on Facebook and other social media sites which are then shared by the gullible in order to get clicks onto their site, this gains them advertising revenue. More sinister is the possibility of fake news for political ends. Log onto Facebook and scroll down and you will almost certainly find 6 fake news stories published in the last week. The mainstream media do not habitually make things up. They might suppress stories or overplay them, but as a rule they don't completely invent stories.

[1] http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/zimbabwe-pride-of-lions-kills-5-poachers-and-injures-3-others/
    [2] http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/lions-kill-five-poachers-in-zimbabwe/vi-BBu73C2
    [3] http://www.snopes.com/pride-lions-kills-five-poachers-injures-three-others-zimbabwe/
  13. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    21 Dec '16 23:38
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I actually bothered to read that. I don't know about the first story, but he's calling an award winning journalist a faker. His evidence seems to consist of "What I wrote at the time."

For his second example of fake news he picked this:[quote]Another example of “fake news” by those supposedly concerned about same was revealed by Michael Martinez. In ...[text shortened]... Bu73C2
    [3] http://www.snopes.com/pride-lions-kills-five-poachers-injures-three-others-zimbabwe/
    I didn't know about the lion story, interesting....but
    ...That's odd that you couldn't find this....
    Williams was suspended for six months, and eventually fired from the Nightly News for "misrepresent[ing] events which occurred while he was covering the Iraq War in 2003."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Williams
  14. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    24 Dec '16 09:03

"Eye-popping" is the new "jaw-dropping".

Oh, yeah, and WorldNetDaily IS a fake news site.
  15. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    24 Dec '16 16:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "Eye-popping" is the new "jaw-dropping".

Oh, yeah, and WorldNetDaily IS a fake news site.
    In your opinion... thanks for your input..