Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 11:571 edit
    I've never seen anything like this. The two most unpopular candidates of all time manage to become their party's nominees for President. One would think the two most popular candidates would have that honor. This is very confusing. How did something like this happen?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 12:351 edit
    Originally posted by mchill
    I've never seen anything like this. The two most unpopular candidates of all time manage to become their party's nominees for President. One would think the two most popular candidates would have that honor. This is very confusing. How did something like this happen?
    You are measuring popularity the wrong way.
    The respective candidates are, according to the way people actually voted, the most popular with the voters in the respective parties. Both are somewhat unpopular with members of the opposite party and independents (that make up a significant proportion of americans).
    Further, when I say 'popular' above, I mean voted for in favour of other alternatives. Many people who voted for the candidates in question don't actually like the candidates, but like the alternatives less.
    Note Kellys argument for voting for Trump: he thinks a hated president is a good thing, so he's voting for the person everybody hates.

With the republicans, Trump is unpopular with the establishment, but popular with the electorate. With the democrats, Clinton is popular with the establishment.but not so popular with the electorate (she still got a slim majority of votes).
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 13:111 edit
    Clinton had the advantage of name recognition over Bernie. She's been in the public eye for three decades, had an immensely popular husband as president, worked under another well-liked president in Obama, and has the backing of feminists who want to see a female president. That's in addition to being the senator of a N.Y., a more high-profile state, and having the backing of Wall Street. So while Clinton isn't necessarily more "liked" than Sanders, she's certainly more popular, than an "old white man" who was only in the public spotlight over the past election year.

Trump's name-recognition needs no introduction. He also ran against candidates who were extremely unpopular for various reasons. Cruz seems to be the most disliked man in his party, Christie has the reputation of bully with a few unpopular decisions (like stopping a measure that would've made the treatment of caged pigs more humane). Ben Carson is weirdo who appeared to be sleepwalking and apparently lied about how violent he was, and Fiorina is a woman (come on, this is the GOP). Jeb not only seemed unsure of himself but is the the brother GW, (maybe the most hated president of all time). Kasich, the most balanced candidate, didn't make enough noise in glorified spitting match that was the GOP primaries. Meanwhile, Trump came right out and said what many Republicans pretend they aren't; that seemed refreshing to many conservatives.

So ultimately, it's not really a mystery as to how we got here. I think Americana needs to stop pretending we're not a nation of morons. That's the first step toward recovery.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 13:11
    media is the most powerful force.

when you rather show an empty trump podium rather than a speech by bernie sanders, it is clear how things will turn up.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 13:27
    It is also important to note that 'unpopular' and 'hated' make better headlines, so you might have a seriously distorted view about just how popular the candidates really are.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 22:291 edit
    I've never seen anything like this. The two most unpopular candidates of all time manage to become their party's nominees for President.
    One would think the two most popular candidates would have that honor. This is very confusing. How did something like this happen?
    Mchill seems terribly confused again. In fact, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were
    *the most popular* candidates among the voters in their respective parties. Add up the votes!
    Mchill fails to comprehend that a politician can be *both* popular and widely disliked.
    Hitler was a successful politician who was both popular and widely hated in Germany.

By the way, 'confusing' does not begin with a vowel.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 01:46
    The only people that have a chance to win are the Dim party and GOP party.

Each party then has the power to choose the next President.

Therefore who ever has control of these two parties controls the country.

It's just that simple. We don't have to like them or even vote for them, but that is the way it is.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 02:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    The only people that have a chance to win are the Dim party and GOP party.

Each party then has the power to choose the next President.

Therefore who ever has control of these two parties controls the country.

It's just that simple. We don't have to like them or even vote for them, but that is the way it is.
    So let's get rid of the democratic system and install a political lottery.

You have certain minimum requirements, like not being convicted of a felony, being over 21 or some such age limit, maybe require a HS education, then have a big lottery where people can buy tickets and chose magic numbers.

So Joe the Plumber is now president of the US.

His VP is Eddy Murphy

The Sec. of defense is now Sonhouse.

and so forth.

That way nobody is bought off, they couldn't possibly be any worse than the totally screwed up system we have now.