Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 13:45
    @duchess64 said
    (Indonesia-Phil replied to Divegeester.)

"Another one of those bloody smileys has turned up, and I can't remember how to stop that happening"
    --Indonesia Phil

Insert a space between the ' and ) .
    Thank you!
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 14:091 edit
    @divegeester said
    Well I know what you want, but you gave up your vote when you decided to emigrate to Indonesia. So really all you have is rhetoric. It’s VOTES that matter and there iro 17 million of them out there waiting to vote for the Brexit Party. Getting upset with me is as pointless as joining the “we’re upset ‘cos we lost” march.

Edit as for the Irish border, if the EU won’t st ...[text shortened]... to break EU law and smuggle goods across in defiance of their Brussels overlords then good for them.
    Now now, let's not get tetchy, I'm not getting upset with you or anybody else, I'm putting across a point of view, and suggesting a way forward in which everybody at least gets something of that which they want; it's a kind of 'glass half full' idea.

I don't think it's the EU which is unwilling to strike a deal, the EU is I think doing all it can reasonably do to accommodate Britain. I think rather that it's the British parliament which can't make its' mind up what deal to put forward. One cannot strike something which isn't there to be struck.

And as I think I said before, I have as much vested interest in the British economy as anyone, whether I choose to live there or not, and perhaps living abroad gives me a different perspective. As a general point, I think a few less insults and a little more of trying to understand other peoples' perspective would be a jolly good idea, and advocating smuggling, by the way, which is breaking the law of the land, probably doesn't help your argument.
  3. Stargazing
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 16:42
    @biffo-konker said
    Come on Mr Expert - what is your solution to the problem with the Irish border?
    I’ll send you a link...
  4. Stargazing
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 16:471 edit
    @indonesia-phil said
    Now now, let's not get tetchy, I'm not getting upset with you or anybody else, I'm putting across a point of view, and suggesting a way forward in which everybody at least gets something of that which they want; it's a kind of 'glass half full' idea.

I don't think it's the EU which is unwilling to strike a deal, the EU is I think doing all it can reasonably do to ac ...[text shortened]... g smuggling, by the way, which is breaking the law of the land, probably doesn't help your argument.
    Sorry Phil, I was talking generally and didn’t mean to aim that point at you. Thanks for being polite.
  5. Stargazing
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 16:56
    “Brexit Party led by Nigel Farage on course for shock win in EU elections, poll finds...
    New party surges ahead within a week of being launched and is on course to leave Labour and Conservatives trailing in its wake, survey suggests..”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-party-polls-eu-election-farage-labour-conservatives-latest-a8874361.html

Seems even the delicate Guardian agrees
  6. Stargazing
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 16:58
    Good football matches tonight in the European CL btw.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:22
    @divegeester said
    “Brexit Party led by Nigel Farage on course for shock win in EU elections, poll finds...
    New party surges ahead within a week of being launched and is on course to leave Labour and Conservatives trailing in its wake, survey suggests..”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-party-polls-eu-election-farage-labour-conservatives-latest-a8874361.html

Seems even the delicate Guardian agrees
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves... the polls also predicted Trump would never win, and a Leave result of the referendum was unthinkable. But both those things happened. I'm not saying Farage won't win, but I am saying reyling on the polls isn't wise in the current political climate. Voters these days either lie or don't give an answer to pollsters.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:23
    @divegeester said
    406 constituencies vs 242. In a UK general election that’s a landslide, it’s game over for the losing party.

Do some research.

My point of course, as I obviously need to explain it, is that if the Brexit Party gets a candidate in each constituency it going to be fun and games here and I can’t wait.

Parliament could rue the day they didn’t pass May’s crappy deal.

Edit: as I said “power to the people”
    That's good math brother Dive.

Power to the people!
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:24
    @kevcvs57 said
    Well there’s the problem with first past the post,
    Yup. But that's what you have. Suck it up or vote to change that first.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:25
    @shallow-blue said
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves... the polls also predicted Trump would never win, and a Leave result of the referendum was unthinkable. But both those things happened. I'm not saying Farage won't win, but I am saying reyling on the polls isn't wise in the current political climate. Voters these days either lie or don't give an answer to pollsters.
    The polls didn't predict "Trump would never win," neither did the polls imply that Leave was "unthinkable." Instead, the polls gave both Trump and Leave good chances of winning and made both of them slight underdogs at worst.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:27
    @kevcvs57 said
    Brexit will happen but we’ll stay in the customs union
    Not if European citizens get a vote, too. You've had your chance to be sympathetic, and instead you p&@&ed a lot of us off. Time to get out, but properly; or come back cap in hand, and get in properly.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:36
    @divegeester said
    Brexit will happen, it could have already happened if it wasn’t for remainer politicians not representing their constituents.
    You keep saying this, and it keeps being bunkum.

Theresa had a deal. You could've been out months ago. If only it hadn't been for the Anti-European Invective Group, who kept voting it down and filibustering, under the pretense that the deal isn't Brexit enough, but really because they're filling their underkecks at the thought of having to face their responsibilities.
    Most of those pseudo- and semi-Remainers would have been, at a push, wililng enough to vote for Theresa's deal. They'd rather not, but better that than a no-deal Brexit. But Hard Leave prevented that by fragmenting the vote.

You could have been out already.

Only the ERG is stopping you.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:38
    @divegeester said
    Sorry Phil, I was talking generally and didn’t mean to aim that point at you. Thanks for being polite.
    No need to apologize, dear chap, but thanks for doing so. I know how strongly you feel about this subject, and I daresay I feel about as strongly the other way; opinions and perspectives will differ, but politeness and mutual respect cost nothing, and life and friendship go on; we none of us have a monopoly on wisdom, and certainly I don't claim to!
  14. Stargazing
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:39
    @shallow-blue said
    You keep saying this, and it keeps being bunkum.

Theresa had a deal. You could've been out months ago. If only it hadn't been for the Anti-European Invective Group, who kept voting it down and filibustering, under the pretense that the deal isn't Brexit enough, but really because they're filling their underkecks at the thought of having to face their responsibilities. ...[text shortened]... d that by fragmenting the vote.

You could have been out already.

Only the ERG is stopping you.
    The majority of the “nay” votes were from Remainer MPs.

It’s quite simple.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 18:51
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    That's good math brother Dive.

Power to the people!
    Especially those with a Neasden postcode. Did you miss the 's' out of maths by mistake, or have you gone all American on us?