Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    23 Nov '17 17:52
    British wages set to reach 2008 levels by 2022!
    That is the British Chancellors forecast.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42096806

When do you think Britain will rejoin Europe?
  2. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    23 Nov '17 18:28
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59

Which Europe?

"It wasn't long ago that European unity seemed like an unstoppable historical force, with political and economic barriers between countries dissolving and regionalism and nationalism disappearing from the continent's politics.

But in 10 years, that may all seem like a distant memory. The Decade Forecast talks about 'four Europes' that will become increasingly estranged from one another: Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, and the British islands. They will still have to share the same neighborhood, but they won't be as closely connected as they were before.

"The European Union might survive in some sense, but European economic, political, and military relations will be governed primarily by bilateral or limited multilateral relationships that will be small in scope and not binding," the report says. "Some states might maintain a residual membership in a highly modified European Union, but this will not define Europe."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/11-chilling-predictions-for-what-the-world-will-look-like-in-10-years-a6851221.html
  3. 23 Nov '17 18:58

I suppose by "Europe" you meant the European Union. Britain IS a part Europe, and always will be, no matter how much Guy Verhofstadt wishes it weren't the case.
  4. 23 Nov '17 19:11 / 1 edit
    Oh come on, stop this farce already. Europe is a physical place. Britain is a part of it. The European Union is not Europe.

Clearly, somebody thinks that somehow the British Isles have somehow cast adrift from the French coast. How would they describe Norway, Russia or Ukraine, which are in Europe, but not the European Union? Or can one not be in Europe if not in the European Union? Does this mean that they would not consider Norway as being part of Europe?
  5. 23 Nov '17 20:02 / 1 edit

What has brexit got to do with this?

Actual correlated data, evidence, even a specific rational please....
  6. 23 Nov '17 20:05
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Which Europe?

"It wasn't long ago that European unity seemed like an unstoppable historical force, with political and economic barriers between countries dissolving and regionalism and nationalism disappearing from the continent's politics.

But in 10 years, that may all seem like a distant memory. The Decade Forecast talks about 'four Europes ...[text shortened]... rld/politics/11-chilling-predictions-for-what-the-world-will-look-like-in-10-years-a6851221.html
    I don't understand why this prediction of what 'may' happen in ten years' time (like a lot of other things 'may' happen) is a 'chilling prediction' for anyone who supports 'Brexit'; surely the dissolution of the European Union, the rebuilding of economic barriers and the dividing of countries and regions must be seen as a good thing.
  7. 23 Nov '17 20:08
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Oh come on, stop this farce already. Europe is a physical place. Britain is a part of it. The European Union is not Europe.

Clearly, somebody thinks that somehow the British Isles have somehow cast adrift from the French coast. How would they describe Norway, Russia or Ukraine, which are in Europe, but not the European Union? Or can one not be in Euro ...[text shortened]... the European Union? Does this mean that they would not consider Norway as being part of Europe?
    I’ve just spent the last week travelling France on business; I’ve seen and heard about from French people about the type of social disfunction caused by uninhibited and infrastructurally unsupported immigration.
  8. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    23 Nov '17 20:11
    I suppose by "Europe" you meant the European Union. Britain IS a part Europe, and always will be, no matter how much Guy Verhofstadt wishes it weren't the case.
    Which Europe did I mean?
    Tricky.

Clue 1. Title of thread

Clue 2. Asking when Britain will rejoin. (ie something we will have left)
  9. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    23 Nov '17 20:11
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What has brexit got to do with this?

Actual correlated data, evidence, even a specific rational please....
    Nothing I suppose.
    Coincidence.
  10. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    23 Nov '17 20:13

Clearly, somebody thinks that somehow the British Isles have somehow cast adrift from the French coast. How would they describe Norway, Russia or Ukraine, which are in Europe, but not the European Union? Or can one not be in Euro ...[text shortened]... the European Union? Does this mean that they would not consider Norway as being part of Europe?
    Are you talking to an imaginary friend?
  11. 23 Nov '17 20:33 / 1 edit
    Are you talking to an imaginary friend?
    No, to the person who disliked a geographical truth. Wasn't you now, was it?
  12. 23 Nov '17 20:37
    Nothing I suppose.
    Coincidence.
    Fair play.
  13. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    23 Nov '17 21:28
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    I don't understand why this prediction of what 'may' happen in ten years' time (like a lot of other things 'may' happen) is a 'chilling prediction' for anyone who supports 'Brexit'; surely the dissolution of the European Union, the rebuilding of economic barriers and the dividing of comntries and regions must be seen as a good thing.
    Come my old adversary, I have no desire for the European Union to disintegrate. (This is something I 'believe' will happen, not something I 'want' to happen). Even on the outside of the EU it is in the UK's interest for the EU to hold it together. We need to trade with them after all.

Alas, the EU is a sinking ship, even if the UK were to stay on board. This is the reason I voted to leave. Better to cut loose in the uncertainty of the ocean, than sink down in to the murky depths.
  14. 23 Nov '17 23:06
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Come my old adversary, I have no desire for the European Union to disintegrate. (This is something I 'believe' will happen, not something I 'want' to happen). Even on the outside of the EU it is in the UK's interest for the EU to hold it together. We need to trade with them after all.

Alas, the EU is a sinking ship, even if the UK were to stay on ...[text shortened]... e. Better to cut loose in the uncertainty of the ocean, than sink down in to the murky depths.
    Which is about the most succinct argument in favour of 'Brexit' that I have read in these forums. I don't agree with the essence of it, but I suppose we could do that which we seem to do in our chess games, and call the matter an honourable draw...
  15. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    24 Nov '17 01:17
    No, to the person who disliked a geographical truth. Wasn't you now, was it?
    Don't know what you are rattling on about, it's colloquial English
    to refer to the EU as Europe, particularly in the context of Brexit.

Here's a little brain teaser for you.
    Where could you be if you were in the EU but not in Europe?