Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 20:10
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    You still haven't apologised for your casual racism. In fact, you seem to take pride in it!

The SNP has consistently refused to condemn racists in its party and has done nothing to punish them.

So let's say I concede that the SNP is past its days of quietly inviting hitler to invade to gain independence, listen to this analogy: If I wanted to brea ...[text shortened]... t sickening racist politicians around, but once they have won, I decide they are too right wing?
    As if I'm going to appologise! What the hell is wrong with you? To whom should I say sorry??

And I'm not casual in my racism. I'm a complete racist! I just don't discriminate in my racism, I hate you all equally.

Live with it. Sassanach.
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 20:21
    You still haven't apologised for your casual racism. In fact, you seem to take pride in it!

The SNP has consistently refused to condemn racists in its party and has done nothing to punish them.

So let's say I concede that the SNP is past its days of quietly inviting hitler to invade to gain independence, listen to this analogy: If I wanted to brea ...[text shortened]... t sickening racist politicians around, but once they have won, I decide they are too right wing?
    Dude.
    I want a second referendum.

End of.

And you can't compare the SNP to Wilders. You can compare some tories to him though.
  3. Geneva
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 22:02
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    He didn't bungle anything.
    He said he opposed Scottish independence (obviously I disagree with him), but that it shouldn't be up to London MP's to disallow referenda.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Obviously the English are pooping bricks the Scots will rid themselves of their servile cloaks.
    I hope he continues to lead labour for many years.
  4. Geneva
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 22:04
    I want a second referendum.

End of.
    How quaint. Do you think the result would be different this time, and if so why?
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 22:311 edit
    Originally posted by Ash to No1Marauder
    A leftist party that tolerates racism. Did you know that? You said you know "everything" about the SNP,
    so I assume you know they have not punished racism in their party.

Yet you refuse to criticize them. Are you a racist who supports a racist nationalist party?
    I note that Ash claimed to 'know everything' about apartheid in South Africa.
    But Ash has liked to imply--absurdly--that only the Afrikaners supported apartheid.

Here are two different views by non-white Britons about the SNP and racism:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/01/scottish-nationalists-racist-uk-bigotry-sadiq-khan

"Scottish nationalists aren’t racist – they’re reacting against the UK’s bigotry:
    Sadiq Khan’s comments don’t tally with the independence movement I know,
    which is optimistic, progressive and open to people of colour."
    --Robert Somynne (who describes himself as of African-Carribean heritage)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/27/parallels-scottish-nationalism-racism-sadiq-khan

"The parallels between Scottish nationalism and racism are clear:
    There is a certain irony to white people with progressive politics rubbishing what Sadiq Khan has to say about racism."
    --Claire Heuchan (who describes herself as a black Scotswoman)
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 22:362 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    How quaint. Do you think the result would be different this time, and if so why?
    Brexit. The Scots voted rather heavily against it and may not be as interested in staying in the UK now that it has decided to leave the EU.

Recent polling shows a sharp increase in independence support making a second referendum a toss up.http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-says-support-for-scottish-independence-is-growing-fast-2017-3
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 23:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Well, the Brexit vote does change the territory somewhat. One of the threats used during the referendum was that were Scotland to leave the United Kingdom then they would have to apply for entry into the E.U. and there would be no fast track. With the vote in favour of leaving the E.U. then that argument no longer applies and it may have made the difference in the original vote. Having said that Sturgeon would be well advised not to go for a second referendum unless she is confident of a victory by an overwhelming margin.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 14:39
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well, the Brexit vote does change the territory somewhat. One of the threats used during the referendum was that were Scotland to leave the United Kingdom then they would have to apply for entry into the E.U. and there would be no fast track. With the vote in favour of leaving the E.U. then that argument no longer applies and it may have made the diffe ...[text shortened]... ot to go for a second referendum unless she is confident of a victory by an overwhelming margin.
    And Nicola Sturgeon has called another referendum. Prepare for a two more years of discussions and ping pong on this forum.
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 14:40
    As if I'm going to appologise! What the hell is wrong with you? To whom should I say sorry??

And I'm not casual in my racism. I'm a complete racist! I just don't discriminate in my racism, I hate you all equally.

Live with it. Sassanach.
    You've been watching too much outlander.
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 14:41
    Well, the Brexit vote does change the territory somewhat. One of the threats used during the referendum was that were Scotland to leave the United Kingdom then they would have to apply for entry into the E.U. and there would be no fast track. With the vote in favour of leaving the E.U. then that argument no longer applies and it may have made the diffe ...[text shortened]... ot to go for a second referendum unless she is confident of a victory by an overwhelming margin.
    This is huge gamble for sturgeon, as if she loses she it will be the end of the SNP for at least a generation, but this is also a chance for her.
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 14:53
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I note that Ash claimed to 'know everything' about apartheid in South Africa.
    But Ash has liked to imply--absurdly--that only the Afrikaners supported apartheid.

Here are two different views by non-white Britons about the SNP and racism:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/01/scottish-nationalists-racist-uk-bigotry-sadiq-khan

"Scot ...[text shortened]... Khan has to say about racism."
    --Claire Heuchan (who describes herself as a black Scotswoman)
    The SNP has been playing for decades. To say they are reacting now is simply untrue. The SNP complaining about bigotry is ironic when their members are know to use racial slurs and get away scot-free, literally.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 17:37
    This is huge gamble for sturgeon, as if she loses she it will be the end of the SNP for at least a generation, but this is also a chance for her.
    This produces quite an interesting situation. On the one hand it increases the stakes in the article 50 negotiations with the EU for Britain, which risks ceasing to exist, on the other it complicates the EU negotiation position a lot. There are a number of EU countries with their own independence movements which the member states do not wish to encourage, so if the Brexit deal is bad or negotiations fail, they risk provoking Scottish independence and encouraging other independence movements. Expect a lot of brinkmanship during the negotiations.

Of course, this could all be rendered moot by the French elections.
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 18:11
    This produces quite an interesting situation. On the one hand it increases the stakes in the article 50 negotiations with the EU for Britain, which risks ceasing to exist, on the other it complicates the EU negotiation position a lot. There are a number of EU countries with their own independence movements which the member states do not wish to encoura ...[text shortened]... during the negotiations.

Exactly. I couldn't have put it better.
  14. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Mar '17 06:06
    The SNP has been playing for decades. To say they are reacting now is simply untrue. The SNP complaining about bigotry is ironic when their members are know to use racial slurs and get away scot-free, literally.
    Prove it.
    Come on. Let's see the proof of these racial slurs.

The only racial slurs I hear in British politics come from the tories and that lunatic the queen is married to.
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Mar '17 06:07
    This produces quite an interesting situation. On the one hand it increases the stakes in the article 50 negotiations with the EU for Britain, which risks ceasing to exist, on the other it complicates the EU negotiation position a lot. There are a number of EU countries with their own independence movements which the member states do not wish to encoura ...[text shortened]... during the negotiations.

I think it's a reasonably safe bet by the SNP.

The only reason the Scots (actually non-Scottish born people, the people who were born in Scotland seem to have voted overwhelmingly for independence) voted to remain in the UK was the fear mongering about finances and what would happen to them in respect to the EU.

That's gone.
    Goodbye England!