Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Feb '17 21:39
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/16/alexander-acosta-labor-secretary-nomination-donald-trump

"Trump press conference: president says team running 'like fine-tuned machine'"

"In a remarkable press conference – spanning 77 minutes in which he
    took questions from 17 reporters – Trump:

Denied any connections to Russia or any knowledge of his election
    campaign team having contacts with Moscow, dismissing stories as a “ruse”

Slammed the “dishonest” media for putting out what he called fake
    news and doing a “disservice” to the American people

Claimed he has achieved more in his first four weeks in office than any
    previous US president, adding: “We’re just getting started”

Denied that his ban on travellers from Muslim-majority countries had
    been poorly executed, insisting: “We had a bad court”

Argued that he “inherited a mess”, both domestically and abroad

Was told he was wrong to claim he had the biggest electoral college win
    since Ronald Reagan. He replied: “I was given that information”

Asked black journalist April Ryan if she would set up a meeting for him
    with the Congressional Black Caucus to discuss his inner-city agenda:
    “Are they friends of yours?”

He argued that there has been “incredible progress” over the past four
    weeks: “I don’t think there’s ever been a president elected who in this
    short period of time has done what we have done.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/16/donald-trump-businessman-bad-hiring-firing-flynn-puzder

"Not so business-savvy: the CEO in the White House is bad at hiring people:
    Trump built his brand on hiring the best people – and firing the rest.
    Flynn and Puzder prove he can’t even do that well."

"Unfortunately for the country, artifice is what Trump does best. And
    now he’s playing make-believe not just at being CEO but at being the
    president with America as his dollhouse. Without the ability to edit the
    final product before it airs, his true lack of management skills is on full display."

Is Donald Trump delusional enough to believe his own whopping lies?
  2. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    16 Feb '17 22:01 / 1 edit
    Donald Trump sold himself to voters as a successful businessman who knew how to get things done, a no-nonsense manager who’d whip government into shape.

But he’s showing himself to be about the most inept, disorganized, sloppy, incompetent president in recent memory, whose White House is nearly dysfunctional.

He allowed Michael Flynn to hang on until the last minute. In any halfway competent administration Flynn would have been gone the moment it became clear he lied to the vice president about his contacts with Russia.

Sean Spicer is a joke, literally. His vituperative, vindictive press conferences are already rich food for late-night comedy. In a White House that had any idea what it means to be an effective press secretary, Spicer would be out the door.

The Muslim travel ban was totally bungled – unclear, haphazard, badly thought out. Trump complains that his “people didn’t give him good advice,” but the people most directly responsible for it – Stephen Bannon and Stephen Miller – have only gained more power in the White House.

Meanwhile, Trump’s White House has sprung more leaks than any in memory. Aides are leaking news about other aides. They’re leaking examples of Trump’s incompetence and weirdness. They’re leaking the contents of telephone calls to other heads of state in which Trump was unprepared, didn’t know basic facts, and berated foreign leaders.

Chief of Staff Reince Priebus seems to have no idea what’s going on. A White House official complained to The Washington Post, “We have to get Reince to relax into the job and become more competent, because he’s seeing shadows where there are no shadows.” Trump’s buddy Chris Ruddy described Priebus as being “in way over his head.”

Infighting is wild. Rumors are swirling that Kellyanne Conway wants Priebu’s job, that Stephen Miller is eyeing Spicer’s job, that no one trusts anyone else.

The New York Times reports “chaotic and anxious days inside the White House’s National Security Council.” Council staff read Trump’s tweets, and struggle to make policy to fit them. Most are kept in the dark about what Trump tells foreign leaders in his phone calls.

Trump himself is remarkably sloppy with sensitive national security information. For example, on Saturday night he discussed North Korea’s latest missile launch on a mobile phone at his table in the middle of Mar-a-Lago’s private club’s dining area, within earshot of private club members. A guest at the club even posed with the military aide who carries “the football” (the briefcase containing instructions for authorizing a nuclear attack).

The U.S. intelligence community is so convinced that Trump and his administration have been compromised by Russia that they’re no longer giving the White House all of their most sensitive information, lest it end up in Putin’s hands.

A senior National Security Agency official says the National Security Agency is systematically holding back some of the “good stuff” from the White House, fearing Trump and his staff can’t keep secrets. The intelligence community is concerned that even the Situation Room – the room in the West Wing where the president and his top staffers get intelligence briefings – has been compromised by Russia.

The White House mess is Trump’s own fault. He’s supposed to be in charge, but it turns out he’s not a tough manager. He’s not even a good manager. He seems not to have any interest in managing at all.

Instead of whipping government into shape, he’s whipping it into a cauldron of dysfunction and intrigue.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/donald_trumps_white_house_is_nearly_dysfunctional_20170216
  3. 16 Feb '17 22:07 / 1 edit
    As I said, Deepstate, Trumps a puppet he simply doesn't realise it. . . yet.
  4. 16 Feb '17 22:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    As I said, Deepstate, Trumps a puppet he simply doesn't realise it. . . yet.
    Who's the 'puppet master' that Robbie Carrobie believes is manipulating Donald Trump to act this way?
  5. 16 Feb '17 22:44
    Originally posted by finnegan
    [i]Donald Trump sold himself to voters as a successful businessman who knew how to get things done, a no-nonsense manager who’d whip government into shape.

But he’s showing himself to be about the most inept, disorganized, sloppy, incompetent president in recent memory, whose White House is nearly dysfunctional.

He allowed Michael Flynn to hang on unt ...[text shortened]...
    http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/donald_trumps_white_house_is_nearly_dysfunctional_20170216
    Even the 'Daily Mail' (an extremely pro-Trump right-wing British tabloid) has begun
    some mild criticism of Donald Trump for being delusional.
  6. 16 Feb '17 22:47
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Who's the 'puppet master' that Robbie Carrobie believes is manipulating Donald Trump to act this way?
    I have not said that they have manipulated him to act this way, quite the contrary, what I actually stated was that Trump is not aware that he is a puppet yet. The resignation of Flynn at the hands of Deepstate Intel was a warning shot across his bow.
  7. 16 Feb '17 22:49
    “I don’t think there’s ever been a president elected who in this short period of time has done what we have done.”

This statement is actually probably true. Thank God!
  8. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    16 Feb '17 22:50
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/16/alexander-acosta-labor-secretary-nomination-donald-trump

"Trump press conference: president says team running 'like fine-tuned machine'"

"In a remarkable press conference – spanning 77 minutes in which he
    took questions from 17 reporters – Trump:

Denied any connections to Russia or any knowledge of ...[text shortened]... ills is on full display."

Is Donald Trump delusional enough to believe his own whopping lies?
    The man sounds like the president the US deserves!

What's your point?
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Feb '17 22:54 / 1 edit
    Even the 'Daily Mail' (an extremely pro-Trump right-wing British tabloid) has begun
    some mild criticism of Donald Trump for being delusional.
    I hope all those Trumpf voters are happy now. I wonder how long it will take for those voters to realize they screwed up?

Just what did they expect, a narcissistic sociopath with a limited attention span who never reads books. Just what we need for someone who has his hands on the nuclear button.

How long will it take before people realize he is absolutely the very worse president of the US EVER. Which is saying a lot considering such jewels as Andrew Johnson, Buchanan, Harding, Fillmore and his fugitive slave act. I think Trumpf will go down as THE worse so far in US history.
  10. 16 Feb '17 22:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have not said that they have manipulated him to act this way, quite the contrary, what
    I actually stated was that Trump is not aware that he is a puppet yet. The resignation of
    Flynn at the hands of Deepstate Intel was a warning shot across his bow.
    Again, will Robbie Carrobie answer this question: Who's 'they'?
  11. 16 Feb '17 22:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I hope all those Trumpf voters are happy now. I wonder how long it will take for those voters to realize they screwed up?

Just what did they expect, a narcissistic sociopath with a limited attention span who never reads books.
    Just what we need for someone who has his hands on the nuclear button.
    Glancing at the reader comments at the 'Daily Mail' (which has been extremely pro-Trump),
    it seems that most of Donald Trump's fanatical supporters refuse to admit that he's done
    anything wrong and prefer to believe that his lies are true or at least undeserving of correction.

In contrast to Donald Trump, Hitler was a voracious reader. (When in prison, his cell
    was specially equipped with a light so that he could stay up reading for hours at night.)
    Hitler (who had a phenomenal memory) also astonished experts at conferences with
    his recall of policy or technical details. But Hitler's obsession with details (seeing the trees
    but not grasping the forest) sometimes meant that he lacked focus on the big picture.
  12. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Feb '17 23:03
    Glancing at the reader comments at the 'Daily Mail' (which has been extremely pro-Trump),
    it seems that most of Donald Trump's fanatical supporters refuse to admit that he's done
    anything wrong and prefer to believe that his lies are true or at least undeserving of correction.
    Too bad there is no god, because we need help.
  13. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Feb '17 23:05

In contrast to Donald Trump, Hitler was a voracious reader. (When in priso ...[text shortened]... the trees
    but not grasping the forest) sometimes meant that he lacked focus on the big picture.
    You mean like 'keep the hell out of Russia, especially in winter'?
  14. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    16 Feb '17 23:06
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    “I don’t think there’s ever been a president elected who in this short period of time has done what we have done.”

This statement is actually probably true. Thank God!
    I suspect there is a president here willing to sign whatever piece of paper is placed in front of him provided he has a nice fountain pen for the job. Lobbyists have always made an industry out of preparing draft legislation. They can produce them faster than he can sign them.
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Feb '17 23:07
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The man sounds like the president the US deserves!

What's your point?
    The point is, he can effect you in your country since he has his hands on the ability to screw up commerce so much you might find stuff you normally pay X for, all of a sudden it's 3X more. That would be just the fun part......