Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    20 Sep '11 14:28
    Greece, maybe Italy where will it all end. At this point China must be thinking, by the time we get to number 1 all we will own is the combined debt of the rest of the world!

Comments, bouquets and brickbats!
  2. 20 Sep '11 14:50
    That seems to be the way it's going....
  3. 20 Sep '11 16:33
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Greece, maybe Italy where will it all end. At this point China must be thinking, by the time we get to number 1 all we will own is the combined debt of the rest of the world!

Your not under the impression that the worlds economy (or even that of certain countries) is going completely bust? Certainly not. A recession, even a fairly big one, only sets a large economy back a few years or even a decade. Even so, the US and EU economies would still be better than they were 10 or 20 years ago which would still be better than what most of the rest of the world was.

I would still rather move to the US or the EU than stay here in SA and I moved to the SA to get out of Zambia. You people just don't realise how good you have it.
    If I had citizenship in an English speaking country in the EU or US I would have no problem getting a job and would earn at least 5 times what I earn here.

The unemployment issues are largely because people by nature don't like to take a salary cut. We love having a raise every year, but a cut? Never!
  4. 20 Sep '11 16:35
    The walls around me aren't crumbling yet.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    20 Sep '11 16:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Your not under the impression that the worlds economy (or even that of certain countries) is going completely bust? Certainly not. A recession, even a fairly big one, only sets a large economy back a few years or even a decade. Even so, the US and EU economies would still be better than they were 10 or 20 years ago which would still be better than what mo ...[text shortened]... y nature don't like to take a salary cut. We love having a raise every year, but a cut? Never!
    Many of the rich people are idiots and are panicking, that's all. What are people physically lacking and is it because the police prevent them from getting what they need?
  6. Subscriber invigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    20 Sep '11 21:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Many of the rich people are idiots and are panicking, that's all. What are people physically lacking and is it because the police prevent them from getting what they need?
    Greeks are looking at 50% cut in wages and mass sackings. Greece is sick but austerity is killing it. Greece's disease in contagious.

Europe's banks are donald ducked if Greece cant pay its debts. Europe's banks have insured their risk with US and UK banks. If banks lose their assets - they will refuse to lend to good business in order to build their balance sheets.

Leading to private sector will cease leading to unemployment, low demand, and more people keeping and dealing in cash! Meaning less tax - high deficit and poor public services.
  7. 21 Sep '11 07:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Greeks are looking at 50% cut in wages and mass sackings.
    Where I come from 'sacking' means dismissal for doing something wrong. Loosing your job due to lack of funds is called 'redundancy'.

A 50% wage cut for Greeks would still leave them richer than me, and if I could get Greek citizenship, I would move there.

I agree that Europe and the US are going through tough times. Nobody likes their income to stand still or go down - I know, I have experienced it myself. But the OP suggests that Europe will be worthless and worse off than China, which is total nonsense being spouted by spoil rich brats who have never been outside the palace walls. Let them eat cake!
  8. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Sep '11 09:25
    It would be well cool if Greece ended Western civilisation as we know it.
    Pure poetry! They started it!
  9. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    21 Sep '11 10:53
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It would be well cool if Greece ended Western civilisation as we know it.
    Pure poetry! They started it!
    Entertaining intuition and insight!

Thumbed.

-m.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    22 Sep '11 17:18

China's screwed if the rest of the world declares bankruptcy.
  11. 22 Sep '11 17:23
    America's screwed if all hamburgers are poisoned.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    22 Sep '11 17:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    America's screwed if all hamburgers are poisoned.
    Hamburg's in Germany. We'll start World War III, blame in on Germany and end up the lone superpower again.

Healthy eating will become trendy again and lots of poor folks will die. Fast food will suffer. USA would probably become stronger.
  13. 22 Sep '11 17:37

Even the notion of China financing all the debt, is somewhat silly. The Chinese government is running large deficits, at least that was true the last time I looked.

Someone is cooking the books.
  14. 22 Sep '11 17:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Your not under the impression that the worlds economy (or even that of certain countries) is going completely bust? Certainly not. A recession, even a fairly big one, only sets a large economy back a few years or even a decade. Even so, the US and EU economies would still be better than they were 10 or 20 years ago which would still be better than what mo ...[text shortened]... y nature don't like to take a salary cut. We love having a raise every year, but a cut? Never!
    A good friend of mine has a son living in SA, Johanasburg, I believe. He is African American, his wife Zulu. He is well paid, lives in a very ornate home in a seriously gated community that was formerly all white.

What I didn't know was that many consumer products that we in America take for granted and are very inexpensive, are either not available or very dear in SA.

My friend regularly sends her son "care" packages of cosmetics, dvd movies and other stuff which will either not be available or will be very expensive.

I think what concerns Americans is not that we've got it better than most of the rest of the world, but that the current direction and momentum is the opposite.
  15. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    23 Sep '11 06:55
    Really?
    I'm sure they have a broad-based portfolio and its not all in foreign bonds.

At the moment they are buying up New Zealand farmland.