Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 29 Apr '10 05:05
    http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/sports/nfl/042610-Tim-Tebow

Recently a sportscaster in Florida was watching Tim Tebow and his reaction when recently drafted by the Denver Broncos. While doing so, he made the claim that Tim was so "white" he looked like a Nazi. He then added that the Tebow compound was so "white" it looked like a Nazi rally.

So what is going on here? Could it be that Tim was targeted because of his well known conservative stands on such issues as abortion? Then to add insult to injury, he is a well known Christian advocate who has participated on a myriad of missionary trips overseas to help the less fortunate? I say yes. I say that Tims political and religious leanings are why he was targeted and why many on the right are targeted using similar verbage.

So what is to be done with this hatefilled windbag? I say nothing. The more those on the left try to use such inflamatory hate speech by calling those on the right bigoted, racist, nazis, etc, without just cause the better. It just adds to the notion that those on the left who do such things are intellectually and morally bankrupt.
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Apr '10 08:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    The more those on the left try to use such inflamatory hate speech by calling those on the right bigoted, racist, nazis, etc, without just cause the better. It just adds to the notion that those on the left who do such things are intellectually and morally bankrupt.
    People on the American "right" are saying "liberals" are "bigoted, racist, nazis, etc." too, and you know it. So this sounds like a thread inspired by some little bit of fluff you found while contemplating your navel. Yet again. And I am amazed that even the fluff you find in your belly button is a dreary, carping, ultra-partisan kind of fluff.
  3. 29 Apr '10 10:12
    Who cares what some sportscaster says? And who cares whether or not he is "on the left"?
  4. 29 Apr '10 12:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    People on the American "right" are saying "liberals" are "bigoted, racist, nazis, etc." too, and you know it. So this sounds like a thread inspired by some little bit of fluff you found while contemplating your navel. Yet again. And I am amazed that even the fluff you find in your belly button is a dreary, carping, ultra-partisan kind of fluff.
    But there is a difference here. People on the right do not refer to those on the left as nazis or racists etc. in general. Something usually triggors such responses such as supporting legislation they feel takes their freedoms away. I mean, Tim Tebow is just a football player for crying out loud. What did he ever do to anyone?
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Apr '10 13:01
    But there is a difference here. People on the right do not refer to those on the left as nazis or racists etc. in general.
    Yes they do.

Yawn.
  6. 29 Apr '10 13:05
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Who cares what some sportscaster says? And who cares whether or not he is "on the left"?
    Well if you lived in Canada or Europe they would care. In fact, you would probably be hauled before a tribunal to defend your speech or be fined. However, as of yet we still have such freedoms in the US. Of course, this does not preclude his employer from giving him the axe.
  7. 29 Apr '10 13:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes they do.

Yawn.
    Example?
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Apr '10 13:10 / 2 edits
    Example?
    Can't be bothered. You're pretending you don't know. This thread is about as drearily selective and aimless as a whodey thread gets.

KN absolutely nailed it with "Who cares what some sportscaster says? And who cares whether or not he is "on the left"?" and you didn't even realize. You just ploughed on rather than let the silliness slide down the threads page and disappear.
  9. 29 Apr '10 13:13 / 1 edit
    But there is a difference here. People on the right do not refer to those on the left as nazis or racists etc. in general. Something usually triggors such responses such as supporting legislation they feel takes their freedoms away. I mean, Tim Tebow is just a football player for crying out loud. What did he ever do to anyone?
    Everyone who becomes a professional athlete knows they will have to deal with the occasional sports commentator who is desperate to draw an audience by starting a silly controversy by saying something stupid. Why should Tebow be any different?
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    29 Apr '10 13:31
    http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/sports/nfl/042610-Tim-Tebow

Recently a sportscaster in Florida was watching Tim Tebow and his reaction when recently drafted by the Denver Broncos. While doing so, he made the claim that Tim was so "white" he looked like a Nazi. He then added that the Tebow compound was so "white" it looked like a Nazi rally.

So what is ...[text shortened]... he notion that those on the left who do such things are intellectually and morally bankrupt.
    I wonder if the sportscaster lost his job.

One thing I can absolutely positively guarantee you.

If any broadcaster would ever say that "Donovan McNabb is so black he looks like [insert anything here]," there wouldn't be a snowball's chance in Miami that he'd make it to his next broadcast.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Apr '10 13:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    If any broadcaster would ever say that "Donovan McNabb is so black he looks like [insert anything here]," there wouldn't be a snowball's chance in Miami that he'd make it to his next broadcast.
    whodey talks about wanting to see a 'different political culture' in Washington D.C. and in the U.S. generally, and here he is starting threads about what some sportscaster said and on another thread he's chuntering on and on and on about some verbal flub by the president. One wonders what Whodeyton D.C. would be like.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    29 Apr '10 13:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    whodey talks about wanting to see a 'different political culture' in Washington D.C. and in the U.S. generally, and here he is starting threads about what some sportscaster said and on another thread he's chuntering on and on and on about some verbal flub by the president. One wonders what Whodeyton D.C. would be like.
    Whodey's politics notwithstanding, if this broadcaster is not disciplined, as it appears from the article that he was not, it is evidence of a double standard. Rush Limbaugh got fired for saying that Donovan McNabb is overrated because the media wants to see a black quarterback do well. While the veracity of that allegation is subject to debate, I think it's a lot less offensive than saying that Tim Tebow is so white he looks like a Nazi.
  13. 29 Apr '10 13:45

Very good point.

There are 300+ million people in the US. You can find enough crack-pots to discredit any side of any issue if all you want to do is cling to your own world-view.

Conservatives can find liberals who say stupid things. Liberals can find conservatives that say stupid things. If that's all we do to bolster our own opinions, that hardly amounts to meaningful debate.

In this case, Tebow is white and has taken some stances aligned with conservatives. A professional sportscaster on a non-political show that says something like this and keeps his job is a lot different than some hick in some trailer saying something about liberals and being quoted on the Rachel Madow show.

Absolutely no chance this sportscaster keeps his job if he makes a similar crack about McNabb. That is undeniable and compelling.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 Apr '10 13:46

White people are brutally discriminated against in this country, aren't they?
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    29 Apr '10 13:50
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    White people are brutally discriminated against in this country, aren't they?
    The issue is whether there's a double standard in that one can say something that's anti-White and get away with it, while one cannot say something similar that's anti-Black and get away with it.

If you agree that there's a double standard but maintain that it's justifiable in light of the fact that there's anti-black discrimination, fine, you can take that position (though I would tend to disagree). But, as a threshold question, would you agree that there's a double standard?