Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 20 Nov '15 17:39
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/09/20/hillary-clinton-u-s-should-accept-65000-syrian-refugees/

    I guess Hillary is doubling down on accepting even more Syrian refugees, even in the wake of poll numbers indicating that the vast majority of Americans don't approve.
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    20 Nov '15 18:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/09/20/hillary-clinton-u-s-should-accept-65000-syrian-refugees/

    I guess Hillary is doubling down on accepting even more Syrian refugees, even in the wake of poll numbers indicating that the vast majority of Americans don't approve.
    I'm confident the American Indians were thinking the very same thing 300 years ago, when the Europeans were invading their land. It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    20 Nov '15 18:21
    Send them to California. I don't mind.
  4. 20 Nov '15 18:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Send them to California. I don't mind.
    What if some of these "refugees" are involved in terrorism like in France?

    Would you mind then?
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    20 Nov '15 18:55 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    What if some of these "refugees" are involved in terrorism like in France?

    Would you mind then?
    Not really. People kill each other in Los Angeles all the time. I think it's kind of funny that they hit that obnoxious hipster metal band who were singing about how they love the Devil.

    So what...they might hit a Lakers game and Satanic hipster concerts...I would be kind of unhappy about the Lakers game, but I never go to them anyway. Professional sports are really frivolous and silly things that I have very little enthusiasm for, though I am trying to learn because it's such an important social skill to know about sports.

    Maybe they'd target the Sunset Strip nightclubs, or the Oscar Awards.

    But really, they are careful to target the upper class. I'm not on their target list. They want to hit Washington D.C. They don't care about the West Coast. Maybe Hollywood IDK.

    These people think in terms of Capitol Cities. They want Washington D.C. and New York (and Paris, Rome, Constantinople, London, probably Moscow etc). Hollywood maybe, maybe not.
  6. 20 Nov '15 19:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    What if some of these "refugees" are involved in terrorism like in France?

    Would you mind then?
    So are we going to let the terrorists, by their action or inaction, decide the next presidential election? Action would lean the polls toward exclusionism; inaction the other way. I wonder which way is in their interests?
  7. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    20 Nov '15 19:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    What if some of these "refugees" are involved in terrorism like in France?

    Would you mind then?
    Actually, no. I would not mind. A few terror explosions is small potatoes compared to the 35,000+ needless deaths that auto accidents and shootings are responsible for each year in the good old USA.
  8. 20 Nov '15 19:47
    Originally posted by bill718
    Actually, no. I would not mind. A few terror explosions is small potatoes compared to the 35,000+ needless deaths that auto accidents and shootings are responsible for each year in the good old USA.
    There is more damage done than the loss of life. 9/11 led the US to blunder into one unjustified military action and two poorly executed ones, what we are still dealing with. Some lay the blame for the rise of ISIS on this reaction.
  9. 20 Nov '15 20:32
    Originally posted by JS357
    There is more damage done than the loss of life. 9/11 led the US to blunder into one unjustified military action and two poorly executed ones, what we are still dealing with. Some lay the blame for the rise of ISIS on this reaction.
    One could argue that such over-reactions are precisely because there are too few terror attacks. Places like Israel or Nigeria don't get so upset each time they experience a terror attack. Maybe after a while the US could come to see it in the same light as drug violence or Mafia violence.
  10. 20 Nov '15 23:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    One could argue that such over-reactions are precisely because there are too few terror attacks. Places like Israel or Nigeria don't get so upset each time they experience a terror attack. Maybe after a while the US could come to see it in the same light as drug violence or Mafia violence.
    Yes that and the triumphalism and sense of earned oversight and stewardship of world affairs that came from the US military actions of the 20th century (ignoring the share of credit due the USSR and UK.) And other factors. "Let's attack somebody with our defense industry" is another reason.
  11. 20 Nov '15 23:50 / 1 edit
    So I guess those at RHP have voted that the safety of the citizens of the US are not as importants as the safety of the Syrian refugees, and their representatives in government like Hillary and Obama agree

    Duely noted.
  12. 21 Nov '15 00:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    So I guess those at RHP have voted that the safety of the citizens of the US are
    not as importants as the safety of the Syrian refugees, and their representatives in government like Hillary and Obama agree

    Duely noted.
    I would expect many Syrian refugees to be more honest, intelligent, and industrious than
    the American racists and bigots at RHP who fear and hate them so much.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Nov '15 00:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    So I guess those at RHP have voted that the safety of the citizens of the US are not as importants as the safety of the Syrian refugees, and their representatives in government like Hillary and Obama agree

    Duely noted.
    Was it a good idea to let in refugees from Cuba in the late 1950s and early 1960s? Sure, most of them were fleeing the totalitarian Communist regime but surely some of them MIGHT have been infiltrators intent on performing terrorists acts in the US. Better safe than sorry.

    There'd be two less Republican Presidential candidates (both of whom are vociferously opposing Syrian refugees being admitted - at least non-Christian ones) if your reasoning had been adopted then.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    21 Nov '15 02:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Was it a good idea to let in refugees from Cuba in the late 1950s and early 1960s? Sure, most of them were fleeing the totalitarian Communist regime but surely some of them MIGHT have been infiltrators intent on performing terrorists acts in the US. Better safe than sorry.

    There'd be two less Republican Presidential candidates (both of whom are vocife ...[text shortened]... refugees being admitted - at least non-Christian ones) if your reasoning had been adopted then.
    I seen Scarface he was a political refugee from Cuba

    YouTube
  15. 21 Nov '15 03:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Was it a good idea to let in refugees from Cuba in the late 1950s and early 1960s? Sure, most of them were fleeing the totalitarian Communist regime but surely some of them MIGHT have been infiltrators intent on performing terrorists acts in the US. Better safe than sorry.

    There'd be two less Republican Presidential candidates (both of whom are vocife ...[text shortened]... refugees being admitted - at least non-Christian ones) if your reasoning had been adopted then.
    I don't see anything wrong with the GOP proposal to properly vet them.

    In addition, I don't know why the international community is not providing them a place in Syria as a safe zone.