Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 20:541 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "Sex appeal cannot reasonably be said to be a central component of a flight attendant's job."
    --Sh76

Back in the 'Golden Age' of air travel, some airlines advertised their (exclusively) female
    flight attendants' sex appeal (and implied sexual availability) as selling points for male passengers.
    "Would the gentleman like to have coffee, tea, or me?" ...[text shortened]... the anecdotal lives of two lusty young
    stewardesses, and was originally presented as factual."
    Yes, I've seen the vintage ads.

I think the courts were right to put a stop to it.

An FA's main job is always maintaining a safe environment for the passengers. Sexual attractiveness does not seem to be to be a BFOQ for a flight attendant.

I'll concede that these inquiries are often murky and not clear-cut.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 21:11
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Yes, I've seen the vintage ads.
    I think the courts were right to put a stop to it.

An FA's main job is always maintaining a safe environment for the passengers.
    Sexual attractiveness does not seem to be to be a BFOQ for a flight attendant.

I'll concede that these inquiries are often murky and not clear-cut.
    What would happen if the corporation that owns Hooters restaurants acquired an airline?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 12:571 edit
    What would happen if the corporation that owns Hooters restaurants acquired an airline?
    An interesting hypothetical. It would make a good law school exam question for an employment discrimination course.

I would say that, if the airline is a mainstream, open-to-all airline like JetBlue or United, sexual attractiveness is still not a BFOQ for a flight attendant.

If it's a private airline servicing only a super-exclusive crowd on small planes where the FA's have less of a safety function, that may be different.

This is a complex gray area. Charging all men 18% extra in a public facing restaurant is not.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 13:46
    Must stamp on this egregious act of discrimination before more vegan restaurants open and the meat industry collapses, throwing God knows how many get-up-early -work-hard-all-day Americans out of their cowboy jobs. OMG!!
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Aug '17 23:27
    This restaurant could try a "Raising Awareness of Racism Evening".
    Aboriginal customers would be served first; white customers would be served last.
    (How many aboriginal Australians are vegans?)

Would be that racist? Would it be sexist to serve ladies ahead of gentlemen?
    Gosh , how many aboriginal Australians at all?
    Specially in Melbourne?
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 00:00
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Gosh , how many aboriginal Australians at all?
    Specially in Melbourne?
    As far as I know, aboriginal Australians traditionally don't have a vegan diet.
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 01:11
    Well traditions change and there's no greater aphrodisiac than a lifestyle choice that allows you to win every health, moral and ethical debate. Smug bastards!.....😀
  8. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 01:39
    This restaurant could try a "Raising Awareness of Racism Evening".
    Aboriginal customers would be served first; white customers would be served last.
    (How many aboriginal Australians are vegans?)

Would be that racist? Would it be sexist to serve ladies ahead of gentlemen?
    Guess you don't read the articles b4 running your racist sexist trap. "The feminist vegan owner of Handsome Her eatery in Melbourne, Australia, is making them pay an 18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating" To Finnegan. I only eat the finest beef available, preferably Kobe, good potatoes and 0 freaking veggies. :
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 01:54
    Oh yeah , now I hear ya.
    Well you can goto a vegan place and not be vegan. I do it all the time.
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 02:311 edit
    Originally posted by @sh76
    ..I would say that, if the airline is a mainstream, open-to-all airline like JetBlue or United, sexual attractiveness is still not a BFOQ for a flight attendant..
    It still should be.

Back in the 80's the cheapest one way flight from Sunday to London was with Yugoslav Airlines and let's just say that the only prerequisite for being part of the cabin crew seemed to be prior membership of the Olympic power weightlifting squad.

Not that being able to list hand cranking a tank should discriminate, but it was a huge culture shoçk in an age when most newsagents would happily put Playboy and Penthouse on open display...
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Aug '17 18:031 edit
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Guess you don't read the articles b4 running your racist sexist trap. "The feminist vegan owner of Handsome Her eatery in Melbourne, Australia, is making them pay an 18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating" To Finnegan. I only eat the finest beef available, preferably Kobe, good potatoes and 0 freaking veggies. :
    Some restaurants offer 'senior discounts', charging elderly customers less than others.
    Should this age-based discrimination be illegal?

A rationalization for 'senior discounts' is that elderly people have a lower average income than other adults.
    Likewise, women have a lower average income than men. So why should that rationalization
    not also apply to charging women less than men?

By the way, a few years ago I created a thread about a famous Japanese sushi master
    who charges astronomical prices and routinely gives women (without asking for their consent)
    smaller portions than men, even though women and men pay the same for each meal.
    As I recall, most men here approved of him giving women smaller portions than men get.