Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 15:112 edits
    That was some riveting theater yesterday.

The opening statement reminded me of Hillary's "vast right wing conspiracy" gaffe. It really was wild and desperate. I'd be angry if I were falsely accused, sure, but Kavanaugh looked guilty-angry, not innocent-angry.

He should have said to Durbin or Feinstein something like "I'll beg for an FBI investigation if you promise you won't try to stall past x date" or "I'll take a polygraph tomorrow if you promise you'll vote for me if I pass it." That would have shut them up.

But the biggest tell was when Joe Kennedy asked him to deny the charges before God and Country and he started hemming and hawing. When he finally did get around to the denial, his voice went down, his face went red and his eyes were darting.

Now, I retract nothing of what I said, to wit: It's still a he-said-she-said. And to vote to confirm him based on the idea that there's no real evidence against him other than an allegation that is absolutely shaky in some ways is a defensible position.

But if you ask me to guess, life in the line, whether he did it... I think he did.
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 15:202 edits
    Originally posted by @sh76

The opening statement reminded me of Hillary's "vast right wing conspiracy" gaffe. It really was wild and desperate. I'd be angry if I were falsely accused, sure, but Kavanaugh looked guilty-angry, not innocent-angry.

He should have said to Durbin or Feinstein something like "I'll beg for an FBI investigation if ...[text shortened]... position.

But if you ask me to guess, life in the line, whether he did it... I think he did.
    Yeah, that was telling alright, the moment that convinced me was when Sen. Durbin tried to get Kavanaugh to commit to an FBI probe. He squirmed, fretted, and became red faced, but he just couldn't pronounce the word "Yes"

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/27/17911606/dick-durbin-brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-fbi-investigation
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 15:281 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Yeah, that was telling alright, the moment that convinced me was when Sen. Durbin tried to get Kavanaugh to commit to an FBI probe. He just squirmed, fretted, and became red faced, but he just couldn't pronounce the word "Yes"

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/27/17911606/dick-durbin-brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-fbi-investigation
    He should have said:

"Senator Durbin. I'd love an FBI investigation. The more thorough, the better. But I'm afraid that you're just filibustering and trying to run out the clock until the election. I'll demand a full investigation, but I want this job and I don't want to lose it because you keep finding last minute reasons to delay. Confirm me now and then the FBI can investigate until it gets tired and I'll cooperate fully. If they find some real "evidence" of all these things that didn't happen, you can always impeach me. That, too, is part of your Constitutional power. But until then, I think that you won't support me no matter what and what the FBI demand is just a stall tactic. I'll tell you what, Senator Durbin: I'll ask for a full and fair FBI investigation if you promise before the American people that if the FBI doesn't find real evidence apart from these stale allegations by October 12, you'll vote to confirm me. Otherwise, spare me your talk about a fair process. You're just looking for excuses to defeat me by hook or by crook."
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 15:29
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Yeah, that was telling alright, the moment that convinced me was when Sen. Durbin tried to get Kavanaugh to commit to an FBI probe. He squirmed, fretted, and became red faced, but he just couldn't pronounce the word "Yes"

That, I think, is because Kavanaugh recognized it as just another transparent delay tactic. He didn't want to give the Dems another open ended period of time to gin up a bunch of smears against him, which was obviously their aim.
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 15:32
    He should have said:

"Senator Durbin. I'd love an FBI investigation. The more thorough, the better. But I'm afraid that you're just filibustering and trying to run out the clock until the election. I'll demand a full investigation, but I want this job and I don't want to lose it because you keep finding last minute reasons to delay. Confirm me now and then ...[text shortened]... ur talk about a fair process. You're just looking for excuses to defeat me by hook or by crook."
    And Durbin would have agreed and then the Dems would have continued their "by any means necessary" smear job on him. Dude! Fool me once!
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 15:34
    I watched every minute of the hearing. One thing in common with every dem was their comments ended with an FBI investigation. Not to find any evidence, we have already heard from everyone named. It is nothing but a delay tactic, they think the American people are stupid.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 15:36
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    I watched every minute of the hearing. One thing in common with every dem was their comments ended with an FBI investigation. Not to find any evidence, we have already heard from everyone named. It is nothing but a delay tactic, they think the American people are stupid.
    Judge's attorney's micro-letter was hardly all we could expect to get out of that line of investigation, so to say we've "heard" from him is a little misleading. Even if he didn't want to come and testify before the Senate, I don't think one FBI or police interview is too much to ask.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 16:07

He should have said to Durbin or Feinstein something like "I'll beg for an FBI investigation if ...[text shortened]... position.

The whole confirmation process has become a sham. If we now allow a confirmation process to be dominated by evidence that is merely he-said-she-said we really have no confirmation process at all. The focus of a confirmation process should be whether Kavanaugh is the person we want on the Supreme Court. We have criminal courts to determine if he committed a crime. We have civil courts to see if he should be held financially liable for his actions. But we should not use a confirmation process to litigate things that may belong in other courts but for statute of limitations and we should not allow the confirmation process to be overwhelmed by otherwise non supported verbal accusations of 40 years ago. Is the next step to make it like the show survivor and put 12 judicial candidates on island and have challenges and tribal counsels to see who is eliminated?
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 16:08
    Judge's attorney's micro-letter was hardly all we could expect to get out of that line of investigation, so to say we've "heard" from him is a little misleading. Even if he didn't want to come and testify before the Senate, I don't think one FBI or police interview is too much to ask.
    How many lines does it take to say " I don't remember anything like this"?
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 16:09
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    The whole confirmation process has become a sham. If we now allow a confirmation process to be dominated by evidence that is merely he-said-she-said we really have no confirmation process at all. The focus of a confirmation process should be whether Kavanaugh is the person we want on the Supreme Court. We have criminal courts to determine if he com ...[text shortened]... judicial candidates on island and have challenges and tribal counsels to see who is eliminated?
    As Graham said, it is not he said, she said. It is she said, THEY said.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 16:56

Investigation into what she gave no details to investigate with respect to details about where and when. For all we know she had a nightmare and related that as if were real. No details on when, where, what happened before or after so what is there to investigate, who do you talk to, where would you go?
  12. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 17:24
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    No, we have not heard from everyone. Mr. Judge was not there nor were any of the other women who have come forward with accusations.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 17:32
    Originally posted by @phranny
    No, we have not heard from everyone. Mr. Judge was not there nor were any of the other women who have come forward with accusations.
    Do you realize Dr Fords letter/complaint was presented to the FBI and they said is was not enough information for them to investigate? Do you realize the proper law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over this has never been contacted? No statute of limitations involved.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 17:36
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    That, I think, is because Kavanaugh recognized it as just another transparent delay tactic. He didn't want to give the Dems another open ended period of time to gin up a bunch of smears against him, which was obviously their aim.
    You mean if there is more time for more witnesses to come forward, republicans KNOW there are ZERO witnesses coming forward for K and MANY for the other victims of Kavanaugh. THAT is why they are rushing this through. It may be their last gasp of power, since in November democrats are going to take over. So they do the political calculus and came to the conclusion we don't care if we lose power in November, we will win in the long term by having a right wing nutter on the Supreme Court.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 18:032 edits

"It's still a he-said-she-said."
    --Sh76

Repeating that slogan 'explains' why the supposed witness (and accomplice of Brett Kavanaugh)
    Mark Judge's unwilling to testify and the Republicans refuse to subpoena him.

This forum's full of extremely biased sexist men.
    (Sh76 seems quite biased, though not completely close-minded.)